Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transmitter question please

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter question please

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:35 PM
boner321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter question please

I've narrowed the choice of my new radio to a Spectrum DX6 or DX6E. The straight 6 has 2-3 features I don't need for the xtra $50. My only question is are they built of the same quality....and it's JUST those 2-3 features that sets them apart....or is the straight 6 better built as well as the 2-3 things? I don't care about any other radios in this post. THX
Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am definitely not a fan of Spectrum systems So will only offer the opinion that I would never use a radio that used loose cell batteries with spring contactors. I believe at least one of those models you listed does this. Even if both did I would go the next model that did use soldered/welded battery packs. Probably take a lot of heat for this opinion but of course that is my opinion.

John
Old 07-25-2017, 06:09 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Either of those radios can use a rechargeable battery, but it's an add on item. You might consider pricing radios that come with a rechargeable battery, because once you do the upgrade you might find yourself spending the same money for a less capable radio.

As for comparing features and deciding what to buy, I'm linking a chart for you below. I can't tell that there is any difference in the build quality as the DX6e is just a DX6 with some features removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPM_Transmitter_Comparison.pdf
Views:	51
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	2225539
Old 07-27-2017, 05:58 PM
jetmech05

Default Don't settle

Don't settle on a radio that you need now. Look to the future and get the biggest baddest radio you can.
I never dreamed when I started flying I'd be where I am today, flying giant scale gasser using more than 1 channel on a single control surface.
instead go with a 10 channel radio, minimum, that will be able to handle what you throw at it as you grow in the hobby.
its cheaper too, buy a 6 now, then an 8, then later a 10, or just get the 10.
anyway good luck
Old 07-27-2017, 06:10 PM
boner321

It's funny (and expected) how many stray from my original question. LMAO
Old 07-27-2017, 06:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boner321
My only question is are they built of the same quality..
OK I will simplify, If they both use individual loose cells depending on spring contactors then indeed they are both of the same quality ---- Poor.

John
Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It's funny (and expected) how many stray from my original question. LMAO
Any time you start a thread, you can expect it to weave back and forth like that one road in San Francisco before all is said and done.
As far as your radio question, unless someone actually has both and is willing to open them up, you're not going to get an answer based on fact, just biased opinions. What you can pretty much trust is a low dollar radio will have lower quality parts than a higher priced radio will. I bought a two channel stick radio back in 1982 and a four channel stick radio made by the same company in 1986. What I found is that the two channel, which costed around half as much, was night and day cheaper in feel and appearance. Even the gimbals felt cheap compared to the four channel. That said, the two channel used AA batteries for both the transmitter and receiver, lasting about a day while the four used Sanyo made nicad packs that lasted for more than a weekend. Fast forward roughly twenty years, when I went and bought a high end 9 channel computer radio. Again, the difference is unbelievable in the feel of the gimbals and switches as well as the case when I compare it to my four channel.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A major benefit of learning from others through conversation is that experienced people are going to point out things you haven't thought of. I am a teacher, and this is my big beef with the trend toward online learning and also standardized testing. Students are being allowed the laziness of just finding the answer they want to find rather than learning to truly think through an issue and understand it from all angles. So don't complain that people bring up points you don't initially care about. Instead appreciate that someone took the time to respond with lessons learned from their experience.

That said, I'll offer a counterpoint to jetmech05's well-reasoned encouragement to buy more than a basic radio. People advance in this hobby at different speeds. Some of that has to do with your talent for learning to fly, a lot of it has to do with your budget, and a lot has to do with the time you have to devote to it. Your flying site is also a factor. I've seen guys start training in April and by the next February they are flying 30% scale IMAC type planes or scale warbirds. (We can fly year 'round in Texas) Others are still flying 4-5 channel basic sport and scale planes 5 years later. For the first type, a DX6 would have been a complete waste of money because 3 months after buying it they would have been buying something better to replace it. But the second type would get a lot of use out of that simple radio and likely would never have felt that it was inadequate to the task. Then when it wears out 4-5 years later, he can replace it with something better if he wants to. So radio choice does also hinge on your plans for the hobby. If you want to advance fast, take jetmech05's advice and look at 10 channel radios. But if you are a take it easy kind of guy, you'll do find with the choices you are asking about.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 AM
Hawk131

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2878376-Spektrum-DX6e-vs-DX6-G3

This may help, don't mind the haters, any 6 channel radio will be fine but its always better to spend a little more because you may need the features later. I was flying a dx6i, then went to a Dx7s, this was fine until I went to gas warbirds and now I have a dx9 black. Its always better to chose a radio that u can grow in if you can afford it.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:34 PM
jetmech05

Default Ok ok

If I strayed from your question sorry... My new answer is neither
Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Let me throw another thought into this. This is just my opinion but IF you're looking at saving money and using that as your basis on what to buy, maybe you should be looking at something R/C that doesn't fly. What you must consider is:
1) You will crash
2) You will be spending money
3) If you stay with the hobby, you will be buying/building more complex and more expensive aircraft and the gear to fly it

I build and race 1/8 scale unlimited hydroplanes. The average engine costs $600 new, not including exhaust. To put a boat on the water will run between $1500 and $2000. Based on that, I would be looking at the best radio that meets my requirements and not worry about cost. If I were to price out my present radio system it would look like this:
Transmitter-Futaba 4PLS $250(when I bought it, now $180)
Transmitter Battery Pack-Lifesource LiFe 6.6 volt 1900 MAh pack $35
Rudder Servo-Futaba S9156 high torque digital $130
Throttle Servo-Futaba S3050 digital $60(no longer available)
Receiver Battery Pack-NR4J 4.8 volt 600MAh flat pack $18
Of course, you have to charge your batteries so you can add:
Hobbico Accu-cycle charger $120
Hobbico Lifesource balancing charger $35
If you add all that up, just to race one boat cost me $645, JUST FOR THE RADIO AND ASSOCIATED ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ITEMS

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-30-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:02 AM
boner321

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Let me throw another thought into this. This is just my opinion but IF you're looking at saving money and using that as your basis on what to buy, maybe you should be looking at something R/C that doesn't fly. What you must consider is:
1) You will crash
2) You will be spending money
3) If you stay with the hobby, you will be buying/building more complex and more expensive aircraft and the gear to fly it

I build and race 1/8 scale unlimited hydroplanes. The average engine costs $600 new, not including exhaust. To put a boat on the water will run between $1500 and $2000. Based on that, I would be looking at the best radio that meets my requirements and not worry about cost. If I were to price out my present radio system it would look like this:
Transmitter-Futaba 4PLS $250(when I bought it, now $180)
Transmitter Battery Pack-Lifesource LiFe 6.6 volt 1900 MAh pack $35
Rudder Servo-Futaba S9156 high torque digital $130
Throttle Servo-Futaba S3050 digital $60(no longer available)
Receiver Battery Pack-NR4J 4.8 volt 600MAh flat pack $18
Of course, you have to charge your batteries so you can add:
Hobbico Accu-cycle charger $120
Hobbico Lifesource balancing charger $35
If you add all that up, just to race one boat cost me $645, JUST FOR THE RADIO AND ASSOCIATED ADDITIONAL REQUIRED ITEMS
Sorry my original post was so confusing. I'm NOT looking to save money. I'm looking to NOT spend money on features I won't be using. Please let me know if I need to explain this another way.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've narrowed the choice of my new radio to a Spectrum DX6 or DX6E. The straight 6 has 2-3 features I don't need for the xtra $50. My only question is are they built of the same quality....and it's JUST those 2-3 features that sets them apart....or is the straight 6 better built as well as the 2-3 things? I don't care about any other radios in this post. THX
Same quality buy the cheaper one.
Unless you progress unusually rapidly it will do you for a couple of years or more. Most of the people I have taught have never needed more than a 6 channel set. Rudder elevator motor 2 channels on ailerons and retracts.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry my original post was so confusing. I'm NOT looking to save money. I'm looking to NOT spend money on features I won't be using. Please let me know if I need to explain this another way.
No need to explain further, just pointing out that, when you buy a radio set, costs add up and and do so quickly. IF you get into more expensive planes, a "bargain basement" radio isn't always going to be the best choice. If you plan on just flying trainers and similar, your radios of choice will probably be fine.
Happy Flying
Old 07-31-2017, 04:39 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You need to add the word "YET" to the end of the sentence in red. There is no need to explain it another way because these people are simply explaining what WILL happen, and that you WILL need those features sooner than you think.

I'm not sure how that fact of what WILL happen is lost on you.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:55 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never had a problem with transmitters that used 4 single cell AA batteries. In fact I've found it to be an asset.
But to your original question, if it were me, $50 one way or the other, I'd spend the extra $50 if I could. "Better"? They're both going to work. "Better" is what you define as better. I can guarantee one thing, the manufacturer designed and built either one with one thing in mind. How cheap can they make it and at what price point can they sell it. $50 is the difference.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 PM
boner321

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
You need to add the word "YET" to the end of the sentence in red. There is no need to explain it another way because these people are simply explaining what WILL happen, and that you WILL need those features sooner than you think.

I'm not sure how that fact of what WILL happen is lost on you.
I've known myself for 62 years. Trust me, if I don't want it today (sim hookup and talk to me) I won't want it tomorrow. Thanks for not sticking to the parameters I set before you.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM
jetmech05

Default Funny

In your 62 years you haven't learned to understand that not all answers are black or white.
You posted your question in the beginners section, forgive us if you're not a beginner. It was an assumption on our part.
we tired to answer your question to the best of our ability but you seemed offended and put off.
​​​​​​​I just don't get it.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Must be one of those still upset about November......
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM
jetmech05

Default That's funny

That was good
Old 08-02-2017, 11:52 AM
boner321

Originally Posted by jetmech05
In your 62 years you haven't learned to understand that not all answers are black or white.
You posted your question in the beginners section, forgive us if you're not a beginner. It was an assumption on our part.
we tired to answer your question to the best of our ability but you seemed offended and put off.
I just don't get it.
I'm not at all offended. In fact I never expected less on the internet for so many replies to go so far off course from my simple, original post. My post didn't point to future needs/wants in the hobby, did not address any OTHER radios beyond the 2, number of channels beyond the 6, or what you had for breakfast. It was simply this. ""I've narrowed the choice of my new radio to a Spectrum DX6 or DX6E. The straight 6 has 2-3 features I don't need for the xtra $50. My ONLY QUESTION is are they built of the same quality....and it's JUST those 2-3 features that sets them apart in price....or is the straight 6 better built as well as the 2-3 things? I don't care about any other radios in this post. THX""
Old 08-02-2017, 03:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Boner321,
I have to agree with Jetmech05 to a degree.
You asked about a pair of radios, never said what your experience level is or what you were dealing with for an aircraft. Since you have, as of now, only 16 posts, we all looked at your question as that of a beginner of unknown age that doesn't appear to really have a clue about radios or R/C aircraft. This was, unfortunately, an understandable assumption on our part, considering Jet and Desert have both been members for 12 years, I've been a member for 13 and Tom a whopping 15.
All that said, I think we answered your question, quality is probably even with both radios though, as we have pointed out, they are not going to be at the same level of quality of other more expensive comparable systems. This comes back to the "you get what you pay for" factor. If one of these works for you, great. If we threw out some information that you or someone else can use later on, even better. I'm sure I speak for everyone that's posted in this thread when I say we hope you enjoy the hobby and don't be afraid to post in the forum in the future.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:26 PM
boner321

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Boner321,
I have to agree with Jetmech05 to a degree.
You asked about a pair of radios, never said what your experience level is or what you were dealing with for an aircraft. Since you have, as of now, only 16 posts, we all looked at your question as that of a beginner of unknown age that doesn't appear to really have a clue about radios or R/C aircraft. This was, unfortunately, an understandable assumption on our part, considering Jet and Desert have both been members for 12 years, I've been a member for 13 and Tom a whopping 15.
All that said, I think we answered your question, quality is probably even with both radios though, as we have pointed out, they are not going to be at the same level of quality of other more expensive comparable systems. This comes back to the "you get what you pay for" factor. If one of these works for you, great. If we threw out some information that you or someone else can use later on, even better. I'm sure I speak for everyone that's posted in this thread when I say we hope you enjoy the hobby and don't be afraid to post in the forum in the future.
WOW, again I was hoping to compare JUST THE TWO RADIOS I mentioned, not "" other more expensive comparable systems""" as you put it!!! My experience level has nothing to do with the simple question I put before the members here!
Old 08-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

I guess I stand corrected, your attitude tells me you don't want any help since we already answered your question so I won't be troubling you or your thread again. Hopefully, no one else will either.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You guys are wasting your time trying to convince someone who is closed minded. I quit reading half way through, due to the stubbornness of the OP..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.