Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

So I bought the DX6..........

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

So I bought the DX6..........

Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 AM
boner321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I bought the DX6..........

........and as I've stated I'm new at this and know very very little about all of it. My large Apprentice is too nervous/twitchy for me to get off the gyro comfortably. I bought the new radio (Tx?) to get me off the gyro in smaller steps than my radio can. Trouble is, is the owner's manual reads like a seasoned pilot is reading it. Is there an EZ way to program the radio so I can advance without too many crashes? THX
Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a sub forum devoted to JR and Spektrum JR Radio & Spektrum Radios - RCU Forums the only people who can post replies are those connected with JR Spektrum

It is worth persevering with the manual and looking in the above forum or Youtube for answers.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If the plane is twitchy there are only two things you need to do. the first is add some exponential to the aileron and elevator surfaces. That will soften the response near the center. Start with 25% and see what you think. Second is to reduce the overall throw on the surfaces that feel twitchy. If you aren't hitting the stops occasionally while flying, you have too much throw. Do the exponential first and fly it. Then start reducing throw a little at a time (maybe 10%) and test flying until it feels good. You reduce the throw by reducing the percentage in your dual rates. I don't mean that you need dual rates, but simply that you can dial back the throw on the normal rate setting that you fly with. Once you are happy with the throw, it's good practice to change the linkages if you can to get the same throw with the higher radio settings. You do that by either moving the linkage in closer to the center on the servo arm or out farther from the surface on the control horn.

Last edited by jester_s1; 08-07-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I freely admit that I am unfamiliar with the plane in question and the electronics that make it easy to fly BUT I think the OP might be looking for a way to control the gain on the gyro.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:46 PM
jester_s1

Maybe so, but if an Apprentice is twitchy in flight the controls are too hot.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:47 AM
boner321

Well, good thing I didn't try to set it up myself from the manual. Mine was defective and I would have thought for hours it was my inability to comprehend the manual!!
Old 08-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by boner321
Well, good thing I didn't try to set it up myself from the manual. Mine was defective and I would have thought for hours it was my inability to comprehend the manual!!
Heck I've done that and there was nothing wrong with the unit or the manual. I simply missed a minor step in a long list. A call to tech support straightened it out in no time. Brain fart happens to the best of us. LOL

Dennis
Old 08-12-2017, 06:15 AM
boner321

So, I had one of the guys set up my Tx and I'm easily flying off gyro. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I fly patterns and practice touch and goes without ever switching back to the gyro as a safety net like I did with the other Tx. I'm still not acclimated to all this, but I think the expo's the bigger aid to me. I believe I'm at 75% on low rate and 90% on hi, with 25% or 40% expo. IIRC he switched the expo from one of those #s to the other after I flew.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:20 AM
jester_s1

That's great news, boner321. So many new pilots using basic radios get frustrated and discouraged with the hobby because of twitchy planes. I'm glad you toughed it out and got a good piece of equipment to make your plane fly like it should.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:38 AM
boner321

Originally Posted by jester_s1
That's great news, boner321. So many new pilots using basic radios get frustrated and discouraged with the hobby because of twitchy planes. I'm glad you toughed it out and got a good piece of equipment to make your plane fly like it should.
Thank you. It really pays to talk to other pilots at the field and here and listen to them. Even if you have to sort thru an assortment of answers/advice to get the proper info. I recently started this with a buddy of mine and with him having 1/2 the time on his LiPos that I do...his are already swelled up and mine not. I told him that he was there listening to the same guys saying the same thing as me.....so if NOW you want to know what you did wrong I feel I might be wasting my time. If you didn't listen to them, why would you listen to me? LOL.