Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New guy, looking for direction

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New guy, looking for direction

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MurphyLong
Hey all, I've flown Foam trainers for a few years now, just because they're simple, rugged, and cheap to replace when they crash. I recently inherited a pile of Nitro RC Plane "stuff," and I'm not even sure where to start with it all.

I have 4 planes that all seem to be complete, 2 transmitters (Futaba T9CAP and TX6a I think is what they are) which seem pretty old, albeit complex, a milk crate full of motors, and a bin of odds & ends including servos, wheels, etc.

Well,, I've flown a friend's Nitro plane before, but it was just a basic .40 Trainer, and everything I have is a low-wing plane. From what I understand, these are more "nimble" and not as forgiving, is that correct? Also, the planes all have motors on them, and with the ones in the crate, it looks like a mix of .40-.60 sizes, both 2 and 4 stroke O.S. engines. The only person I know personally who flies would be my uncle who's in Upsate NY, and I'm in NC, so our communications are few and far between.

If anyone would like to chime in and give pointers on where to start, this is my tentative plan in no particular order:

Clean everything. There's a bit of dust.
Buy new Tx/Rx, what I have is "dated." Look for 2.4ghz instead of 72mhz?
Clean, test, and tune all engines.
Test all servos.
Update the field box to something with a battery for electric start, instead of just a start stick.

Once I've done all that, I figured I would just drive the planes up and down the road for a bit until I get comfortable with how everything handles, then work on take-offs and landings, touch-and-go's, etc.

Sorry for the subpar pictures, but this is when everything was picked up, I blacked out planes that I didn't take, but it shows the planes themselves. (The wings were on a storage rack, not shown.)

Attachment 2229709Attachment 2229710Attachment 2229711Attachment 2229712

Now, all the planes seem in good shape, but I wonder if it's better to just buy a new ARF/BNF kit, and keep the motors. I've never been big on building planes or dealing with Monokote, so if any of these crash, it will be their final flights.

Your ACE BINGO.....

You can fly it. I have no doubt.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 AM
MurphyLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I ended up selling the two FP-60's for $30 each to a member in Canada, the Super Tigre went to a guy in Georgia, and then I spent the weekend chatting with a Retired Disabled Vet that lives about an hour from me. Tossed everything in the car and drove down to check out his field. (He lives at a golf course that is maintained, but not played apparently.) He lit up like a kid at Christmas when he was all the stuff I brought! He was petting the planes, and fondling every single motor in the crate like they were diamonds... So I gave it to him. All of it. 4 planes, 6 motors (3 of which were 4-strokes) and every bit of glow-plane related stuff I have. He nearly lost his mind, he was beyond tickled. I told him I just don't have the time to dedicate to glow planes, and I knew he did. When I told him I was more into electrics, the guy gave me a like new DJI Phantom 2 with a GoPro mounted, all in a real nice rugged case. He said he bought it on a whim, and just enjoyed nitro more. So, we both paid it forward, and we're both happy.

Then I got home, and my mother in law called me, and asked me to get "the rest" of my Father in law's planes... (Wait, what???)

There are biplanes, and huge scale planes in his shop with 5 and 7 cylinder engines on them that she didn't know were even in there. Tiny little planes with glow engines smaller than BIC lighters... This is going to be a Looooooooooooooooong winter. It looks like I'll be in the hobby whether I want to or not.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:51 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those big multicylinder radial engines are likely to be worth serious money. 4 figure money.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Oh, the little OS FS 30 FOUR STOKE, that are going for at least $100 on *bay? That one?

OS FS 30S Four Stroke Model Engine. New in Box | eBay
I was asking about a transmitter.