Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting into the hobby.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting into the hobby.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 12:15 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

FWIW, glow isn't that complicated to do. You do have to learn how to tune an engine, and cleanup is a chore you have to do. The only serious drawback, IMO, is that if you don't fly much your fuel can go bad in storage and the fuel passages in the engines can get gummy after a year or so. Batteries on electrics can go bad in storage too, but generally speaking your electric planes are perfectly happy to sit 4-5 years waiting to be flown and will start right up when you're ready.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Really, it does come down to personal preference. With electrics you have the cost of the motor, batteries to be in the plane, ESC (the 'throttle' for the motor), and extra batteries or field charger. With fuel powered engine you have the cost of the engine, fuel, fueling and starting equipment, glow or spark plugs, servo for the throttle, and extra batteries or field charger. Ya pays your money and ya makes your choice.
Fuel engines need maintenance and occasionally parts. Electric motors need some maintenance as well, and battery packs do not last forever.
As Hydro Junkie pointed out, noise is also a factor. Will you be at a club field where noise is accepted or in a park where it is not. When it's all said and done, it's up to the modeler to choose what is right for his or her needs, and noone else can make that choice.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:14 PM
patgene920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also suggest the Phoenix Flight SIM., Purchase it with the Spektrum Radio and you already have a great radio that will serve you well for a long tome. Happy flying!
Old 10-22-2017, 07:27 PM
jester_s1

I'll toss this out there too- electric used to mean small, but not anymore. Any plane that you can put a glow or gas engine into can also take a commercially available electric motor. A guy in my club maidened an electric aerobatic plane that was meant for a 100cc gas engine. It probably cost him an extra $500 to build it electric, but it's what he wanted. The plane flew well with gobs of power until the batteries started falling off around 8 minutes into the flight.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:52 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darkridder
I guess I'm just trying to make this more complicated then i have to. I love the sound of the engines running and doing flybys and the electrics i like the idea of not having to mess with fuel. I'm sure there are a few gas vs electric threads that i should read. Jester has a good point though that if i am looking to only save money I'll never fully enjoy the hobby.
You really don't have to "mess with fuel." unless you're mixing your own, which is totally unnecessary, unless you're trying to save money.
You fill the tank, hook up your glow driver, and fire it up. Easy peasy. Tuning a glow engine, however, is an acquired skill, but it ain't rocket science, either. Bottom line is, if you like it, get one! They really do last many years. Just don't abuse them!
Old 10-24-2017, 03:47 AM
jester_s1

Honestly, there isn't even that much skill involved in tuning a glow engine. Assuming you have a good one with no air leaks, it's very straightforward. Set the high speed needle, then go to idle and set the low speed needle. Get a good idle, then get a good transition, then reset the high speed. Then you are done! A tachometer makes it really easy; I can do one in about 2 minutes. A tach is handy in a lot of other ways too. It can give you an early alert that something is wrong, and it can show you the effect of different props and fuels.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Darkridder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks jester, i didn't know they made tachometers for these engines I'll have to look into it!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:58 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scanned over this ... my 2 cents.
Pick a plane. kit or ARF. The Tower trainer is inexpensive with the coupons and discounts. Cheap to replace if crash.
Pick power source - inexpensive glow engine or electric and Tower has an electric set up. I like the smell and sound of glow and it’s fun to run the engine. Refill and fly. But each has preferences.
Pick a radio. A 4 channel Tactic with Servos is inexpensive and is solid. About $50 can buy a second for wireless buddy system. But that’s not needed. Just Hand transmitter back and forth like I’ve taught many this way.
Get an instructor for a weekend and your flying. Enjoy and focus on technique. No gyros. Just learn to fly.
About $350 you have a great learning platform with a 40 size trainer you can see and inexpensive to repair if needed. And have FUN. Learn the basics and then research where to go from there.