Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner - Looking for engine on SIG KADET MARK II

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner - Looking for engine on SIG KADET MARK II

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:10 PM
nenya89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Beginner - Looking for engine on SIG KADET MARK II

Hello everyone,

I am buying a SIG Kadet Mark II as a present for my boyfriend. He has not built planes in the past and would like to start. I wanted to know if someone can help me pick an engine for this plane that is economical but decent? I don't know much about RC Planes, so any help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The OS .46 AX is hard to beat. If he'd prefer electric, Rimfire makes a .40 equivalent with a recommended battery and electronic speed controller.

That said, the engine will be one of the last things he needs. Building and covering tools will come first, as will all of the hardware and radio gear. It's really neat you want to do this for him, but it may be a few months before he's ready to mount an engine in depending on how busy he is.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree with Jester. I'd recommend getting the following FIRST:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB357&P=0
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHZ16&P=0
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXARLD&P=3
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZV41&P=SM
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK079&P=0
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB901&P=0

With that said, I'm not saying you have to get those specific brands or specific items. They are the kinds of items I would use to cover and set up a trainer plane. I'm sure others will have other things they would recommend be used and that's fine too
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest that you purchase the kit first. In it, there should be a list of the required items needed to complete it. This will help to prevent unneeded items for being purchased, as they may be included in the kit.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:04 AM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say the OS ax46 will be a great fit for power. As he gets into the build he will need glues and other finishing materials and tools. Also at least a six channel radio control. I say six channel so he will have room to grow. The trainer will only use four channels with 4 to 5 servos.
Freddy Schneider
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

And before he attempts to fly it, go to a local club and have an instructor check the plane for proper set-up and to work with him using a buddy box. Failure to do this is almost a guarantee first flight ends with a crash.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:31 PM
jester_s1

With all that said, I'm a fan of people knowing what they are getting themselves into with this hobby. It's not just buying a model plane, and definitely not just the price of the kit. For someone who is already into this sure, it makes sense to give them a plane they want and have that be it. But there are setup costs associated with flying planes as other have mentioned- radio, field gear, etc. And while it's not absolutely required a club membership is a major boost to doing this since aviation, even in model form, requires knowledge and skill that no beginner has. I don't mean to discourage you in any way; just understand that this is a hobby, not a toy. If he's into it you'll be the best girlfriend ever. Just understand that a trainer kit won't bring much joy in the long run if he can't also have the related things too.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Jester, does this mean you liked my list of things that are also needed? I tried to stay with things needed just to build the plane rather than things needed at the field though, now that I think about it, I did forget the fuel tank(if he does want to run nitro) and receiver pack
Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 PM
jester_s1

I think your list was well thought out, Hydro Junkie. There will be some more small hardware items, control horns, fuel line, 2-56 pushrod wire, landing gear, wheels, etc. He'll get there though.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Agreed, I was just looking at what most would call the basics that would be needed during the build. Obviously, there are many of the minor things that SHOULD be figured out during the build or listed in the directions that can be ordered later as needed. I left intentionally left out covering, wheels, props and spinners as well as other stuff that would need to be determined later by the person building the plane
Old 11-03-2017, 03:10 AM
TomCrump

This kit comes with a hardware pack. I see no reason to purchase clevises, push rods, etc. ahead of time. I feel that the OP would be better served by waiting to purchase auxiliary items. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEZHX&P=0
Old 11-03-2017, 05:27 AM
nenya89

Thank you all so much for your answers! I am a bit concerned about the amount of work that this kind of hobby takes, but I do not want to ask him too much about it since I don't want to ruin the surprise. My grandfather used to build planes and loved it, so I am hoping that he will enjoy it just as much.

I was thinking of getting him the engine, a radio controller, and a basic tool set and some modeling knives (and also include a builder's mat?)
Old 11-03-2017, 08:02 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by nenya89
Thank you all so much for your answers! I am a bit concerned about the amount of work that this kind of hobby takes, but I do not want to ask him too much about it since I don't want to ruin the surprise. My grandfather used to build planes and loved it, so I am hoping that he will enjoy it just as much.

I was thinking of getting him the engine, a radio controller, and a basic tool set and some modeling knives (and also include a builder's mat?)
Well, I gotta chime in here. If your boyfriend likes making things with his hands as we do, he's gonna love this hobby!
I'd say just get him the kit (excellent choice, by the way) for now. But, if you can swing it, the O.S. 46AX is the gold standard of model airplane engines. It's around $150. More than enough power for the Kadet, it will be ideal for sportier models in the future. Keep us posted, okay?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:16 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

A good set of Exacto knives or equivalent would be a good choice. Many other uses for them besides building airplanes. He will also need some 5min epoxy, 30min epoxy, CA (basically super glue for planes) ,and a good quality wood glue like Tite Bond.
If your going to buy him a radio too, then you might as well just buy a flight kit similar to this:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LZ1427&P=T

This package gives him the radio system and all the other electronics he needs to control a Kadet or similar plane.

The O.S, .46 Ax would also be my recommendation for the Kadet. It's kind of like the "Toyota Camry" of engines. Not the most expensive, not the cheapest either, but probably the best value considering reliable quality and dependability along with good customer service, if it's needed..
There are some other things he will need after the plane is built like an engine starter, fuel transfer pump, fuel, and a few other tools. But I would wait about those until he is almost finished building the kit.

Out of HydroJunkie's list, two things I would go ahead and get up front is the Covering Iron and Heat Gun, All the other items should be supplied in the kit, so unless he looses or damages something, he won't need those clevises or fiberglass rods.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:53 AM
born2build

hugger-4641
That radio will certainly do the job...barely. It's about as bare bones as you can get. No room to grow. A Futaba 6J would be a better choice. Sure, you have to add servos, but why spend money on a radio you won't want later. The 6J has memory for 15 airplanes, not to mention a lot of other useful stuff.
The O.S. .46AX is like a Camry? If there are better engines of this type available, I'd sure like to know about it!
Oh, and I never use 5-minute epoxy for anything!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't disagree with what most have said, but then I don't know how BIG your pocketbook is either. Not looking up prices; but I would guess about $150 for the plane and about the same for the engine . Not a bad start and maybe a place to leave it till he gets to decide just where HE wants to go with this. If you go this far you might want to consider locating a club where he will be able to get help ( join) . You may even want to just get a plane and a membership to the club . Another thing to consider : he may want to go electric , in that case the ENGINE is out ( by the way I DO agree with that engine for that plane ) . If you can I think it would be a smart move to go to a local club and see what kind of HELP they will give and possibly what their instructors can do to help. They may even have someone that would like to assist him in this venture. NEVER turn down good help . ENJOY !!! Red .
Old 11-04-2017, 04:41 PM
jester_s1

I see no need for 5 minute epoxy. It's handy for repairs sometimes, but for building there's nothing that needs epoxy that the 5 minute is good enough for.

IMHO, you should get the kit, tools, radio, battery, and servos, and let him get at it. Let him choose his covering colors later. Let him decide if he wants to go glow power or electric. Glow is cheaper and lets a person fly more in a day, while electric is more convenient and doesn't have as big a learning curve.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 AM
buzzard bait

I agree with Jester, let him choose power and covering. I fly almost 100% glow, but the new guys usually go with electric, and even some of the older guys have switched. The support equipment you need for glow and electric are completely different, and people often have strong feelings about one or the other. Plus I think an OS 46AX is WAY overkill for this plane. That's after buddy-box training people on the same plane using an OS 40FP, which is less than half the power, from a grass field surrounded by trees. And it was plenty. But I'd let him work this out for himself. He may just go electric.

For radios, I think it's good to go with what is popular in the club he will be in. That way he can get help with any difficulties. As an instructor, I'm not happy when someone shows up with a new radio that no one else in the club uses. Then it's a struggle to help him.

Jim
Old 11-17-2017, 02:57 PM
born2build

buzzard bait.
I agree the O.S. 46AX is more than enough power, and the 40 FP will power the Kadet just fine. But the AX will be much more useful in future, more aerobatic projects. Why buy two engines when you only need one?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:44 AM
buzzard bait

Why get the wrong engine for someone's first plane?

Best to wait, he might want electric anyway. If glow, the choices are fewer than they used to be. Probably an ASP 32 or 36 would work well. A 46 AX is too much for a beginner on a plane of that size, in my experience as an instructor.

Jim
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Why get the wrong engine for someone's first plane?

Best to wait, he might want electric anyway. If glow, the choices are fewer than they used to be. Probably an ASP 32 or 36 would work well. A 46 AX is too much for a beginner on a plane of that size, in my experience as an instructor.

Jim
You're killing me, Jim! There are no provisions in this kit for a conversion to electric! The O.S. .46 AX Is the perfect choice for this, and any other 40-sized plane. Why are we even discussing this?!!
-Rick.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 AM
TomCrump

Conversion to electric should not be difficult. I would think this model would be great with electric power. My Kadet Senior flies very well on electric.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:20 AM
buzzard bait

How did the 46 AX get to be the "perfect choice"? The perfect choice for about the first 15 years of the kit was a plain bearing 35, and then it was the 40 FP for years afterward. It flew great that way; I know because I flew one and trained people on it. Now suddenly it needs twice the power? Why?

I think the 46 AX is perfect for pilots who are already proficient. But most of them don't keep flying Cadets. I've watched many pilots crash over powered trainers. You could say that they came off the buddy box too soon. But the goal should be to get off the buddy box and not be dependent on an instructor so that the student can fly when he wants and get in more time. That's dangerous with a high powered trainer. It is much safer with less power once the student solos. People keep saying that high power can "get you out of trouble". But it gets people INTO trouble too, when they don't have much experience.

That's my opinion after 25 years in my club and about 5 years as an instructor. You're free to differ, of course, but I could do without all the !!killing me!! stuff. I'm not killing you, I am disagreeing.

Jim
Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Hydro Junkie

Jim.
I know you're thinking as an instructor, and I get that. I agree that more power can be an issue, just watching the youngsters with the high performance crotch-rockets and sports cars/sedans and how much they seem to think it's their "right" to break traffic laws.
At the same time, I can see where running a .46 is also a good thing. If you're teaching someone to fly, isn't it a good thing to teach THROTTLE MANAGEMENT? While a smaller engine WILL WORK, you have to run it harder to get the plane to perform more advanced things during the later stages of training when just doing circuits of the pattern, touch and gos, figure 8s and the like get to the point of driving the student insane due to repetition(no, this isn't a bad thing either). Having to be more aware of throttle settings and how it affects what the plane is doing is something that is a good thing, isn't it? To me, having "marginal power", like having a four cylinder engine in a full sized car, isn't going to to really teach that. While the four popper will move the car and it's contents along at the speed limit, when you need that extra "punch" to avoid something, it's not going to be there since you already have the engine pretty much maxed out. Just like knowing how and when to use a rudder, knowing how to EFFECTIVELY use the throttle is something every new trainee should be taught, not just that you need to go to full throttle to get the plane into the air
Old 12-06-2017, 12:00 PM
buzzard bait

The old Enya 35 or OS 40 FP were not marginal power for a Sig Kadet by any means. They flew fine on about 1/2 throttle. Lots of guys who are now old hands at this trained on planes like that. Did they have trouble learning throttle management? I trained on a 590 square inch Champ almost as big as a Kadet with a .15 and throttle management was never a problem for me. I did touch and goes, loops, rolls, etc. with that combination. A gallon of fuel lasted all summer.

An ASP 32 or 36 would be more power than the old OS 40FP. But it's too bad those old plain bearing engines are not made anymore. They were great for trainers and they could be made cheaply. When done training you could put one on a Q500 and fly up a storm. Now OS has people convinced they need a hot ball bearing 46 to fly a trainer, at $150 each, not to mention possibly replacing the bearings if they rust. We've let ourselves get snookered.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.