Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Control package help for Ryan Sta

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Control package help for Ryan Sta

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Unseau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control package help for Ryan Sta

I am building an old SIG Ryan Sta kit from the 1970's. Here are some specs listed on the box:
- 6ft wingspan
-10 cc engine
- 5 channels (6 servos + 1 for throttle)
This is our first non-electric airplane, and we need help finding the correct components.
- We were recommended using HS-425BB's for the servos, but we do not know whether the throttle servo is included with engine, or is a special kind.
- We do not understand the engine + fuel tank setup/ what type of engine to use/ engine electronics.
- We do not know what receiver/ transmitter/ battery/ or any other components that we are unaware of.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to RCU. No doubt you`re in good hands here. Here`s a link to Sig. Hope this helps.Sig Mfg. Co., Inc.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

HS-425BB would be my first choice for that plane. They are durable and more than strong enough. You'll need one for the throttle too. I usually a 325 on the throttle just to save a few dollars, but there's no reason to othewise.
You have lots of engine choices. If you want a 2 stroke (more power to weight ratio, a little easier to start and tune, less maintenance) get an OS .46 AX. If you want a 4 stroke (more scalelike sound, smaller muffler that will fit in the cowl and look better, more torque for bigger props and better pull through maneuvers) get a Saito .82 or OS .72 4 stroke.
Fuel tanks are pretty simple. Pick whatever brand you want and set up your mount so that the middle of the tank is as close to level as possible with the spraybar on the carb. You have some leeway on this, but deviating more than the width of the tank creates problems. Make your fuel line holes to give you a straight shot to the engine so you don't kink or pinch the lines.
I won't get into transmitter/receiver choices. Pick a brand you trust and get enough channels, apparently 6 is your minimum. If you don't mind investing in a compatible charger, a 2 cell LiFe is the way to go. 1400 mah is plenty of capacity.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:29 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Somewhere in this forum, Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC - RCU Forums , is thread dedicated to the STA. I would suggest that you find it, and see what the builders of the Sig version are using for and engine.

My thoughts are that this is a .60 sized model, which would require a .60 two stroke, or a .90, four stroke.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:32 AM
jester_s1

10cc= .40. Of course, a .60 could be a good choice if the plane typically needs some nose weight.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:06 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Unseau, You are going to enjoy building the Sig Ryan-STA. I built the same model in 2012. Here is the link to my build thread, I think you will find it useful while you are building yours. It should answer most if not all of your questions or concerns. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...-ryan-sta.html

I chose to install a DLE 20 gasoline engine in mine and while I did have to make alterations in positioning the firewall, it fit quite well. In selecting a gas tank for this model make sure that it is for gasoline and not for Glow fuel should you decide on a gas engine. Tanks specified for Glow fuel can be retrofitted for gas by changing components such as o-rings, etc. that would otherwise be ruined by gasoline. A small tank can be used as gas engines are very economical. Positioning the tank in relation to the engine isn't necessary, as these engines have fuel pumps. If you need assistance I would be happy to offer my help.

On page 68, post #1685, you will find a complete list of specifications and components that I used.

Happy reading!

VincentJ

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-23-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:02 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jester s1

10cc is 0.61 cui, not .40.

paul
Old 11-23-2017, 03:17 PM
jester_s1

Ah. I stand corrected. So yes, an OS .65 AX or the 15GGT would be good choices, as would a .90 4 stroke.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, crap... I have to agree with Jester Again..... The AX65 is a great choice. If I were buying an engine I would probably lean towards the AX75. I live and fly at 5000' altitude and the extra power comes in handy. I always use a mini servo for the throttle to save a little weight. The throttle servo only needs enough torque to open the carb, which isn't much.

Welcome to the wonderful world of glow.

Scott