Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Planes pulls to right.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Planes pulls to right.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Charlesmp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planes pulls to right.

I am a total noob to RC aircraft.

My plane pulls to the right during takeoff then as soon as it’s airborne it does a half circle and crashes. Any idea why? It’s 4 channel trainer.
Thanks!
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM
murcielago

Could be many things, but I would start checking your center of gravity. It could be way too tail heavy. Post pics if you can.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:38 PM
Charlesmp

Thanks. I will check the cog and try to get some pics.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:44 PM
jetmech05

Default ?

Sounds like the planes gear is off since it pulls right on ground. Since once airborne it continues to turn right the gear is off because the rudder is off. Everything needs centered.
are you correcting with opposite rudder?
you know I tried teaching myself with a glider. Failed miserably. It as another 20 years before I learned right get with an instructor
Old 12-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Charlesmp

I have thought about an instructor. Unfortunately I live in the middle of no where lol. I do try correcting, that's how I get it in the air. It's a bixler 3 glider. I also have a avistar 40, but I am not really wanting to take it out until I get the bixler going.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:12 PM
jetmech05

Default Ama

Go to the AMA web site there maybe a club closer than you think
Old 12-13-2017, 05:25 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

If there is truly noone around to help you (and even if there is) buy yourself a flight simulator. RealFlight and Phoenix are two very popular ones. It is much less expensive to crash an electronic model than a real one!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:42 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Since you are going it alone, your issue could be a plane that isn't set up correctly to start with. Find some tall grass. Toss your Bixler so it will glide and crash into the tall grass. That will protect it from damage. Watch what it does; you want to see a straight glide and smooth drop at the end. Try to do it when the wind is calm or at least blowing in a direction that lets you launch straight into it. Once you know your plane will fly straight, you can work on making it handle straight on the ground. And once it will do that, you'll know that it should takeoff straight. Flight trimming is a whole 'nother set of skills we can help you with too. For your first few flights, takeoff close to that area of tall grass I mentioned before. You can cut the throttle and crash the plane into it to save it from damage. Once you have a little more control, try to fly the plane level into the grass. Then work on touching the wheels to the ground just before getting to the grass. Once you can do that, you'll be able to land normally.

All that said, even just one session with an instructor will save you hours of frustration and significant money. Consider finding someone to help you even if it means driving for an hour or two to meet them. It's worth it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Charlesmp

I cant post video yet. I will try to get some video up tomorrow.
I will try the toss test tonight

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check for warps, sounds like the wing is warped since it pulls to the right whether on the ground (taxi) and in the air. Carefully examine for wing or stab warps by looking at the plane from the rear as it is easier to see a wing warp from the aft view.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Charlesmp

The fourm won't let me upload video yet.

I did the glide test, it flew straight into a smooth drop.

the seam under the plane had come apart allowing the wheel to travel a lot. I taped it up and now it at least taxis straight. The rest of it may be my crappy skills

I went to the ama website. I found a club/trainer about 40minutes away and sent him an email. Thanks for that tip.

​​​​​​​Is there any trainer planes you all recommend?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:05 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If your young and quick, your avistar and powered 4 channel glider should be just fine.
I would wait until you get a conversation going with your instructor and follow their advise about any futher purchases. Except for the sim, a sim is never a bad idea.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:44 PM
jester_s1

You should fix the bottom of the plane better than that. Some epoxy should be able to repair the mount. Just think about how much strain that landing gear mount is going to be under in a hard landing. Then think about how much damage it will do when that gear leg rips out and leaves the plane skidding and tumbling across the ground. Take your time and get it done right.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I ´m 95% certain that your wings are warped (Has wash-out in one tip)!
Old 12-19-2017, 06:02 PM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlesmp
I am a total noob to RC aircraft.

My plane pulls to the right during takeoff then as soon as it’s airborne it does a half circle and crashes. Any idea why? It’s 4 channel trainer.
Thanks!
Is it front propeller plane? If it is then you've encounter an effect called "torque roll", its the inertial force from spinning propeller that twist the plane body to the left or right especially during full thrust take-off where not enough wind speed accumulate under the wings to counter the roll of spinning prop. Same effect goes to what happen if your remove tail proppeller from a helicopter.

If its a pusher prop with small propeller behind pushing the plane, then check if the plane tail boom doesn't twist or wag around especially the ones made from foam.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:37 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Sorry ican3,but the torque effect is hardly noticed in a model plane at take off . Twisted wing is (wash-in)!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 PM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I think the op should post the picture of his plane so we could get an ideas whats on the plane.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 PM
jester_s1

Geez guys, we are talking to a brand new pilot who's flying a factory built plane. I haven't seen an ARF yet that had a wing too twisted to fly. Imperfect sure, but not so much to make it impossible to take off. The most likely explanation is pilot error, second most likely is the plane is out of trim. For that matter, it could be that he was taking off in a cross wind and didn't think about it before posting. As long as the plane isn't damage though, it's likely not the problem.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:47 AM
buzzard bait

A common beginner mistake is to give full power on takeoff on a type of plane that does not need it. I like the glide test mentioned above. That's how I started with my own plane (TF Schoolmaster, Cox 049, Ace throttle, RT control) years ago, and I taught myself with it easily.

Once the plane can glide well, then adding a little power simply extends the glide; bump it up a little and it will climb.

The throttle is your bail out. Picture the flight in your mind and train yourself to cut the throttle if things start going wrong. Turning becomes the next problem, since it reverses coming toward you. Picture it in your mind, you can also turn the tx so it is oriented the same way to the plane. Cut the throttle when you get in trouble. Flight times will increase. Good luck!

Jim
Old 01-21-2018, 05:52 AM
buzzard bait

One more thing. An easy way to check for warps is to attach a straight stick to each wing toward the tips and parallel to the fuselage. A rubber band will hold it. Then put the plane down and stand back looking at it from the side. If the sticks are at different angles you have a warp. I check my models this way before a maiden flight.

But if the plane glided straight with the rudder straight, then you don't.

Jim