Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trainer Build

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trainer Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:41 AM
theEntreriCode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trainer Build

Dear Members,

It has been a long time dream of mine to get a PPL and build/buy my own plane. However, it may be many long years (if ever) before something like that materializes. I have also been interested in aeromodelling since I was a kid and I thought maybe that is a nice way of trying to scratch my itch. Buying a trainer doesn't really interest me as I'd like to build one. I'd greatly appreciate any help/input that can point me in the correct direction to begin my research. Thanks in advance!

tEC
Old 12-20-2017, 04:18 AM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Since you like building maybe try download free plane plans from this website: Parkjets
Lots of free plane to download both trainer, 3d profile, depron type or full scale planes. Here i made simple F22 jet downloaded from that site, cheap, floaty and almost trainer like handling, attached show my video in action below here:

Video:
Old 12-20-2017, 04:50 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theEntreriCode
Dear Members,

It has been a long time dream of mine to get a PPL and build/buy my own plane. However, it may be many long years (if ever) before something like that materializes. I have also been interested in aeromodelling since I was a kid and I thought maybe that is a nice way of trying to scratch my itch. Buying a trainer doesn't really interest me as I'd like to build one. I'd greatly appreciate any help/input that can point me in the correct direction to begin my research. Thanks in advance!

tEC
A little more information would be helpful.

What size model are you looking to build ?
What form of power do you plan to use, glow, gas, or electric ?
Do you prefer to build from balsa, or foam ?
Where are you located ? Some products are more popular in some locations, and not in others.

If you can provide answers to these questions, it will be easier for us to provide suggestions for your consideration.

Last edited by TomCrump; 12-20-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:34 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of us old farts started with building from scratch or from a kit. putting the sticks together is very satisfying, flying something you built yourself is also satisfying.

But be aware that it will cost you more to build than to buy a ready to fly. Maybe twice as much.

If I had to recommend something to build it is hard to go wrong with a Telemaster. Available in a range of sizes as laser cut kits. It is also an excellent trainer.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You can't go worng by going to the Tower Hobbies website and looking at the trainer kits, not ARFs. They also have great information for how to get started.

BTW, if most areas I recommend a 40 to 60 size trainer because they flew better in somewhat windy conditions. When you are starting out you need to get as much air time as possible and smaller, foamy planes are just tossed around too much unless you live in and area of now wind.

Last edited by rgburrill; 12-20-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:55 AM
theEntreriCode

Originally Posted by ican3d
Here i made simple F22 jet downloaded from that site, cheap, floaty and almost trainer like handling, attached show my video in action below here:
Thank you ! I'll take a look at the site. Pretty neat build you have there!

Originally Posted by TomCrump
A little more information would be helpful.

What size model are you looking to build ?
What form of power do you plan to use, glow, gas, or electric ?
Do you prefer to build from balsa, or foam ?
Where are you located ? Some products are more popular in some locations, and not in others.

If you can provide answers to these questions, it will be easier for us to provide suggestions for your consideration.
1) I'm not sure about the size. In terms of logistics and storage size isn't a constraint for me.

2) Gas or Electric would work best for me. I'm not sure about nitro availability in my neck of the woods

3) Choice of materials is open. Fibreglass and aluminum are both options. I'm open to foam, but only if I can take the components and use them for a more robust plane once I'm tired of the trainer. I work in a manufacturing company so having something CNC routed or machined is not out of the question. My boss will give me leeway to use company tools also. I'm an engineer but over the years have become more a business guy so there will be a learning curve.

4) I live in India so I'm pretty sure I won't get **** locally. I'll need to source it from the US/Europe/Far East.

Originally Posted by j.duncker
Many of us old farts started with building from scratch or from a kit. putting the sticks together is very satisfying, flying something you built yourself is also satisfying.

But be aware that it will cost you more to build than to buy a ready to fly. Maybe twice as much.

If I had to recommend something to build it is hard to go wrong with a Telemaster. Available in a range of sizes as laser cut kits. It is also an excellent trainer.
A pre fabricated laser cut kit sounds interesting. I'll take a close look at it. What would you say to building from scratch? Any advise or resources you can suggest incase I go that way? I'm sure it'll be more expensive to build from scratch or kit versus buying, but I'm okay with that. I can take my time with it, learn along the way and It'd be nice to get my hands dirty!

Originally Posted by rgburrill
You can't go worng by going to the Tower Hobbies website and looking at the trainer kits, not ARFs. They also have great information for how to get started.

BTW, if most areas I recommend a 40 to 60 size trainer because they flew better in somewhat windy conditions. When you are starting out you need to get as much air time as possible and smaller, foamy planes are just tossed around too much unless you live in and area of now wind.
Thank you! I will look at Tower Hobbies as well. I'm at an elevation of 1000 meters, but it doesn't get very windy here so I could look at foam but it doesn't seem like it'd be my first choice
Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want a PPL, then stop dreaming and screwing around putting time and money into this RC stuff and go for the licence. Otherwise, it's just a pipe dream.

If you do go the PPL route, you'll find that flying an RC model is an entirely different thing.

As for your other expectations of how things work, since you are only speculating due to lack of real world experience, you will likely find that things don't work out that way. And therein the fun and pleasure as you take on the challenge and learn how it really goes. Same thing holds for either the PPL or RC.

Spoken by one who has gone the PPL route many, many years ago, owned and flew his own private aircraft and was and is heavily involved with RC aircraft since before that.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure about the size. In terms of logistics and storage size isn't a constraint for me.

2) Gas or Electric would work best for me. I'm not sure about nitro availability in my neck of the woods

3) Choice of materials is open. Fibreglass and aluminum are both options. I'm open to foam, but only if I can take the components and use them for a more robust plane once I'm tired of the trainer. I work in a manufacturing company so having something CNC routed or machined is not out of the question. My boss will give me leeway to use company tools also. I'm an engineer but over the years have become more a business guy so there will be a learning curve.

4) I live in India so I'm pretty sure I won't get **** locally. I'll need to source it from the US/Europe/Far East.

I would advise a .60, balsa trainer. You should be able to find a suitable gas engine in that size range. The PT-60 comes to mind. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJ558&P=SM

The above mentioned Telemaster is another good choice.

I'm not familiar with the smaller gas engines, but I know that there are suitable engines, for either trainer, on the market.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:38 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bulsa USA offers a beginners trainer kit that intends to be a course in model building and leads you by the hand to teach how to build RC model airplanes. When you're all done you have a nice looking 72" wingspan high wing trainer to now learn to fly with. As a kit it is a little pricey ($209) but as a learning tool it is priceless. Go to Balsa USA models and check it out, it's called the "Student Trainer". It is "60 size" but flys on a .46 engine.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

There is, of course, the Sig Kadet Series as well. They are known good flyers and go together fairly easy
Old 12-21-2017, 06:28 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in India I suspect that shops that carry model stuff will be few and far between so you might be better off buying a complete kit and an accessory pack if one is available.

As others have said a Sig Kadet would be a good choice for a kit build Kadet Mark II - Kadet MKII - RC Model Airplane Kit - SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.

There are online video guides for the build.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:50 AM
jmartindale

Default Kit build

A year ago I started in the RC business because, like you, it was a scratch I had to itch. My first build was a Sig Kadet LT40. It was a great experience. Very detailed build instructions with nearly all the parts in the box. I put an OS Max 46 nitro motor on it. It was not a cheap experience but very rewarding when it was finished. And, it's been a great trainer to learn with. I've crashed it a few times but the fixes have been relatively easy. Highly recommend that you get a computer simulator and flying instructor to assist in starting. My many winter hours on the simulator were not wasted. I'm a newby but thought I would throw in my two cents.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:18 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's really helpful for other new pilots to chime in with their experiences. I finished training 10 years ago and have been involved in training a few others since then. But it's easy to forget what it's like to be learning, so I like to hear from newbies from time to time too
Old 12-25-2017, 04:57 PM
cbaker65

I built my first one from a kit ,but never learned to fly with it ,it never got to into the air ,it got wiped out on the ground run!
After all that hard work ,it all went down the drain ,but I did at least enjoy the build.

I bought a foamy of a similar model which was a 48'' Cessna ,an transferred everything over ,took it out for the first flight an still
had issues on the ground take off run ,so I got so frustrated an pick it up ,rev the little 15 engine up an threw it ,to my surprise
it just flew off as nice as it could ,LOL......I had to act fast an learn the sticks on the controller ,once I gathered up my senses an
got the feel of the controls ,it was pretty easy!

From there ,I just hand launched the plane ,I also learned how to fine tune the trims of the elevator were it hand launched every
time level!

After that ,I bought a 40 size 72'' wing span Aircore 40 plane that was made out of corrugated plastic ,it was a fold an glue an fly
plane that was indestructible .
I finally learned to do the ground take offs with out crashing!
Another thing you have to do ,is to learn how far you can take the plane so you can keep your baring on it ,as I got mine too
far out an lost my baring on it in which I could not tell wether it was coming or going ,thank God I pre set my throttle to shut
the engine down if something happened!
It went down in the cotton field an only broke the nose gear block ,which was an easy fix!

All in all ,my advice would be to learn with a cheap plane ,an or with a trained person!
You can still build a nice plane ,but I don't recommend using it for training ,but do recommend using something real!
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

When I got back into RC, after decades away, I scratch built a balsa model. Then I decided I did not want to crash this airplane. I was going at this with my very old and rusty experience and no instructor. I decided that balsa was not the answer. I searched and found the SPAD airplane. SPAD airplanes are durable, take a beating and keep on flying. That is the route I took.

If coroplast plastic, may have another name in India, aluminum and/or plastic water downspout are available in you area, check this website. Plenty of models of different sizes to choose from. Check the SPAD on rails for aluminum builds.
This may be a way for self-learning to fly. Easy to build and not very expensive.
Hope this helps.

SPAD AIRPLANES
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2248812  
Old 12-26-2017, 05:30 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by ETpilot
When I got back into RC, after decades away, I scratch built a balsa model. Then I decided I did not want to crash this airplane. I was going at this with my very old and rusty experience and no instructor. I decided that balsa was not the answer. I searched and found the SPAD airplane. SPAD airplanes are durable, take a beating and keep on flying. That is the route I took.

If coroplast plastic, may have another name in India, aluminum and/or plastic water downspout are available in you area, check this website. Plenty of models of different sizes to choose from. Check the SPAD on rails for aluminum builds.
This may be a way for self-learning to fly. Easy to build and not very expensive.
Hope this helps.

SPAD AIRPLANES

+1....That's a great choice there to learn with ,I forgot about those Duraplanes!

I myself is self taught as I live out in no where land ,I haven't flown a plane in 15 years ,but want to start up again.
I have some plane parts to start a build!
Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a few websites you can also look at that have free downloadable plans... thousands of them. It's just something for you to research... as you'd mentioned research and building, but not really whether you were looking for a kit or plans... between these 2 sites there's probably over 10,000 planes of different varieties to look at and/or download plans for. Many are advanced builds, many are well within the skills of alot of people.. and fall in the trainer category too... it depends on where you're at in the skills and resources.. and plans building isn't for everyone... but it's something to study.... and if you find a plan you like, just take it to a local print shop if there's one available and have them output a set of plans... or you might even be able to print them at home in a tile format too... or just download to your computer and study ...

www.outerzone.co.uk

www.aerofred.com

As the others have mentioned there's many good builders kits on the market also... Sig has some great builders kits in the trainer category, as does Great Planes and a few others. There's also some laser kit cutters that have nice kits available...

I'm just suggesting these sites as a glimpse into plans and ideas... the easiest, and probably the best way to get into building is probably a good builders kit though.

Last edited by DGrant; 01-10-2018 at 09:01 PM.