Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RC Fligth Simulators Questions?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RC Fligth Simulators Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM
bburdette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Fligth Simulators Questions?

Hi Guys,
I am new to the world of RC flying. I am looking to purchase a new or used RC flight simulator and learn to fly before I purchase an actual plane. But, I have a couple of questions., I have done a little research and I am more confused on what to buy. All I want is to be able to actually learn from the simulator how to fly. Some of the software packages I find can costs up towards $300, some as cheap as $100. I don't mind paying the higher price if that is the one that will help me the most or is it a waste of money? Can I buy a cheaper simulator that will serve the same purpose. Also, can the simulators actually teach you? Please give me some feedback and suggestions on what to buy or do. Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 12:21 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Simulators can go a long way towards teaching you to fly. They can really help to overcome the tendency of a beginner to lose orientation of the plane when it is flying towards him.
For example, if the plane is coming towards you, and drifting slightly to your right, naturally you want it to move towards your left. So you give it some left rudder or aileron and the plane goes even farther to your right! What happened? What happened was that the plane did exactly what you told it to do, but you are not looking at it from the "pilots" perspective. You gave it left input, and the plane moved to IT'S left, but your right. This is something all beginners have to learn to overcome, and a simulator can help with this.
A simulator can be a great TOOL to help you learn, but it's only a tool. One on one instruction from an instructor is still very valuable. I would recommend a simulator, though. It can help you immensely.
As to which one to buy, the two most popular seem to be RealFlight and Phoenix. I have no personal first hand experience with Phoenix, so I can't give you any pros or cons there. I have RealFlight 7.5 (with the transmitter, Interlink they call it) and I really like it. It comes in several versions, both with a transmitter and without so you can use your own. I would strongly advise staying away from RealFlight X! It takes a real high end gaming computer to run it properly, and it has had innumerable customer complaints about it. In fact, I recently read a thread where the poster reported that his hobby shop owner told him that it was being pulled off the market due to the volume of complaints.
Here's a link to Tower Hobbies page for RealFlight:
Computer Simulators - R/C | TowerHobbies.com

A simulator can be a great aid to learning to fly! They also let you get some stick time when you can't get out to the field. I recommend getting one, just stay very far away from RealFlight X!
Welcome to RCU!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:18 PM
bburdette

Thanks you so much! What does the packaging look like so I can get it?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:56 PM
flyboy2610

Here's a link to the Tower Hobbies page for it:
Great Planes RealFlight 7.5 w/InterLink Elite Mode 2 | TowerHobbies.com

That is what it looks like.
Here's a little video of me fooling around with it:
Old 09-17-2017, 02:42 PM
bburdette

Sorry to be a pain, but why is it $149 here at Tower Hobbies and $250 - $300 on Ebay? Is it the same thing?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:14 PM
flyboy2610

I don't know why it's so much more on eBay. I got mine from Tower, and $149 is about what I paid for it a year ago. I would get it from Tower. One thing, though: It will not run on a Mac. If you have a Mac this won't run on it.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 AM
jetmech05

Default No substitute for stick time

Do not try and teach yourself on a sim. Don't get me wrong sims are great for perfecting skills and help students progress quicker. But I've never seen a sim land quite right.
Sims can teach or reinforce bad habits.
A sim is a simulation of real flying. There just is no substitute for stick time. So get yourself a good trainer, a good instructor and learn to fly with your sim
Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech05
So get yourself a good trainer, a good instructor and learn to fly with your sim
I agree. Nothing at all wrong with a simulator but at the field you need an instructor and a buddy box so he can take over when you get in trouble and you WILL get in trouble
Old 08-23-2018, 11:56 AM
ivanthetrble

Originally Posted by jetmech05
Do not try and teach yourself on a sim. Don't get me wrong sims are great for perfecting skills and help students progress quicker. But I've never seen a sim land quite right.

Thank you for saying this!! I have been playing with Aerofly7 and I'm having a hell of a time getting even the most docile trainer back on the ground without crashing. I can land the B-17 better than I can the PT-40 trainer.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Lee Taylor

I will be banging away on my new simulator tonight
Old 08-23-2018, 01:32 PM
drube

I used RealFlight to learn how to fly. It worked for me and never had to do the buddy box thing, but everybody is different. I did however get a more experienced pilot to maiden my plane and set the trims up for me.

Last edited by drube; 08-23-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:48 AM
Lee Taylor

Depends on who answers but I do not think the sims (at any price) are a waste of money. I paid 179 and booted mine last night. I LOVE it. I am very disoriented after being away for 30yrs. It will come back, especially when I get the plane trimmed the way I want and find the "sensitivity" control. After one night on the sim I feel the sim can absolutely train you. One BIG difference is air currents, breezes, and wind. Another problem at the field is going to be the potential for sudden and unexpected disorientation.

I bought the RF8 with the transmitter. I thought that was best for me because I did not want up front complications. After I purchase my modern day Transmitter I will connect it to the sim and re-train my muscle memory. That will be some time yet though.

My first flights on the sim. I probably have 10 hours stick time in the field from 30yrs ago

Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 AM
Lee Taylor

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Here's a link to the Tower Hobbies page for it:
Great Planes RealFlight 7.5 w/InterLink Elite Mode 2 TowerHobbies.com
Approximately how much previous sim stick time? Any field stick time?

Thanks for the vid! Enjoyed it
Old 08-24-2018, 09:10 PM
Smokeyr67

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Waaay back in the old days I taught myself to fly with a sim (Dave Brown) then built myself a 40 size trainer and flew it successfully for many flights.
These days, with sims like RF8 and trainers like the Apprentice s, I cant see why anyone couldn't teach themselves.
Now before anyone loses it, I'm not saying this is the best route, but it is very do-able for those without access to an instructor.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:06 AM
Lee Taylor

I am an old timer and growing up I had very few coins for recreation. I learned from an instructor. I can still remember him saying to me "when I tell you to give me the box I want no hesitation, when I say give me the box I want you to had it to me immediately". And I did just that and everything worked out fine. Now that I am ON a sim I think it should without a doubt be a beginners first purchase.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:10 PM
bodybuildr
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is there a difference between RF-X and Interlink X?

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Simulators can go a long way towards teaching you to fly. They can really help to overcome the tendency of a beginner to lose orientation of the plane when it is flying towards him.
For example, if the plane is coming towards you, and drifting slightly to your right, naturally you want it to move towards your left. So you give it some left rudder or aileron and the plane goes even farther to your right! What happened? What happened was that the plane did exactly what you told it to do, but you are not looking at it from the "pilots" perspective. You gave it left input, and the plane moved to IT'S left, but your right. This is something all beginners have to learn to overcome, and a simulator can help with this.
A simulator can be a great TOOL to help you learn, but it's only a tool. One on one instruction from an instructor is still very valuable. I would recommend a simulator, though. It can help you immensely.
As to which one to buy, the two most popular seem to be RealFlight and Phoenix. I have no personal first hand experience with Phoenix, so I can't give you any pros or cons there. I have RealFlight 7.5 (with the transmitter, Interlink they call it) and I really like it. It comes in several versions, both with a transmitter and without so you can use your own. I would strongly advise staying away from RealFlight X! It takes a real high end gaming computer to run it properly, and it has had innumerable customer complaints about it. In fact, I recently read a thread where the poster reported that his hobby shop owner told him that it was being pulled off the market due to the volume of complaints.
Here's a link to Tower Hobbies page for RealFlight:
Computer Simulators - R/C TowerHobbies.com

A simulator can be a great aid to learning to fly! They also let you get some stick time when you can't get out to the field. I recommend getting one, just stay very far away from RealFlight X!
Welcome to RCU!
Is there a difference between RF-X and Interlink X?
Im also new to the Simulator work. I've just started flying again about a year ago after a 20 year lay off. Looking to hone my skills.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:36 PM
Lee Taylor

Hello Buildr,

Have you purchased your sim yet? Yes there is a difference. I bought the Interlink X and the other night I was trying to figure out what I was thinking? I think what I was thinking has something to do with in the future using an additional transmitter that did not come with the simulator. Not sure about that. Initially I wanted to get the package that does not come with a transmitter and buy my transmitter separately. I decided that I was unnecessarily complicating things. I have yet to see where the Interlink X Transmitter does any less than others. It has eight channels and trim tabs. I have learned a LOT about my RC self by using the sim. It will be perfect for a cold rainy winter day. No complaints here. I am enjoying it WAY more than I expected

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:25 PM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
Approximately how much previous sim stick time? Any field stick time?

Thanks for the vid! Enjoyed it
I was active in the hobby back around 2000, but life and a career change got in the way. You know how it goes. I had a Great Planes PT40 and was buddy-boxing with an instructor when he couldn't find n excuse not to be at the field. (Not a great experience.) I never did solo.
Long ago I had FMS which I played around with some, but not on a regular basis. So I guess I would rank myself as a beginner, one notch above novice.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:06 PM
Lee Taylor

Been flying the dickens out of my sim. Headed over there now. Last couple of weeks my brain has been riveted on RC
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 AM
Lee Taylor

Got in some sim time last night