Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

is this a alright beginner plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

is this a alright beginner plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:44 AM
xXsnipedoggyXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a alright beginner plane

https://www.motionrc.com/products/dy...0mm-dy8931-pnp

yes i know this is a low wing type plane and most trainers are high wing, but could i get away without a trainer, its four channel, no flaps and landing gear can fly really slow as well.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't buy it after reading some of the reviews. Here's one that is particularly eye opening:
Built and assembled many foam airplanes. This was the worst. Parts fit very poorly. Magnets holding canopy installed incorrectly. Wing halves had no guide pins and so had to be very careful in proper alignment. Will have maiden flight this week. I do not recommend this airplane.
If you really want to spend your money on a plane that doesn't go together well and has design issues, be my guest. I'd opt for a true trainer and leave this one on the store shelf
Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM
xXsnipedoggyXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already bought mine, had no trouble putting it together, I'm actually painting mine (bought the white foam one no paint) I was just wondering if I really need a trainer.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:38 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why in the world would you buy this, assemble it and THEN ask if it is a good trainer?

If you asked before buying it the overwhelming answer would have been NO ,DON'T buy it , it's not a trainer.

Have you got your trainer plane finished yet? You posted last month about converting a glow trainer to electric and that would be the best choice.

Stop buying planes you can't fly and spend the money on getting the trainer in the air , or go and buy a mini Apprentice and learn how to fly first !
https://www.horizonhobby.com/mini-ap...-s-rtf-hbz3100
Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by xXsnipedoggyXx
I was just wondering if I really need a trainer.
I think I already answered that in my last post
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some individuals want what they want, and ask questions to verify their choices. They keep asking questions until they hear what they want to hear.

This phenomena is seen on the forums. Refusing to accept reality is becoming more of a common thing.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After re-reading some of the OP's posts I believe the OP is a child.

We are trying to help you.
You have a balsa wood trainer that can be converted to electric BUT if you don't have an experienced pilot to help you with learning how to fly it then it WILL be a pile of broken wood in no time that will take days,weeks, months to repair....if at all.

If you don't have an experienced pilot to help you THEN YOU NEED to buy a ready to fly foam electric trainer plane with the SAFE system . The SAFE will help you to learn how to fly and the foam (and other parts) can be easily repaired after you crash it.
After you learn how to fly and have flown a trainer for awhile and get really good with it, then you can try to fly a plane like the C-47. Otherwise you will become quickly frustrated and never enjoy the hobby
Old 02-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Some individuals want what they want, and ask questions to verify their choices. They keep asking questions until they hear what they want to hear.

This phenomena is seen on the forums. Refusing to accept reality is becoming more of a common thing.
I see this in the boating forums too. Someone buys a rigger or a complex scale model and then asks if it's a good beginner boat, just to learn that it isn't and figure we that have been in the hobby for many years don't know what we are talking about. A few weeks later, they are back asking why the rigger won't turn left without flipping or how the complex scale parts don't work like they show in the demo video and how they got robbed as the boat isn't what they thought it would be

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-19-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:05 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Or how about this one....."A fool and his money are soon parted." !!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by 52larry52
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." Or how about this one....."A fool and his money are soon parted." !!
I don't think that's it. More likely it's a matter of the one asking thinking "I can get any information I need off the internet", only to discover that those that know what they're doing don't want to take the time to explain what's going on as they were ignored in the beginning and don't want to waste their time figuring they will be ignored again
Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I don't think that's it. More likely it's a matter of the one asking thinking "I can get any information I need off the internet", only to discover that those that know what they're doing don't want to take the time to explain what's going on as they were ignored in the beginning and don't want to waste their time figuring they will be ignored again
True. There are RCU members that constantly ask for advice, but ignore it. Some complain when they don't get further advice.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:47 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

A foolish horse has no money to buy water?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by TomCrump
True. There are RCU members that constantly ask for advice, but ignore it. Some complain when they don't get further advice.
Something I had happen to me, in another forum, is that someone in a different state asked me to help him build a boat. That, in and of itself, wasn't a problem. The problem arose when I found out he was playing "He said/She said" with others in his area, asking them if I was giving him good information. When I told him I was done helping, he decided to get even and caused some serious problems for me. He sent emails to several "influential" members of my club that included part of conversations we had had but slightly reworded to change the meaning. Needless to say, things are still somewhat tense since the people in my club. Those that received the emails recognized my style of text and bought it without question and without asking me anything. I was attacked in a chat room by the people on my end as well as the guy that sent them the emails. I almost quit boating after that event.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I think some participants in this thread have forgotten something- the purpose of the beginner's forum is to encourage and inform new RC pilots. There is good information in this thread, so I am leaving it intact. But complaining about newbies not knowing what they don't know isn't helpful, isn't welcoming, and ultimately won't let this forum be the trusted source of informatiom that it's supposed to be. Yes, I'm well aware that we get asked the same questions over and over. And I know very well the frustration of watching headstrog newbies fail because they won't listen. But it's possible to share your wisdom with them tactfully with a mindset of helping, not judging.