Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Possible cause of lack of newcomers

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Possible cause of lack of newcomers

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:42 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foodstick
I have long believed that almost nobody can be brought into the hobby by air shows and public days.. People that become involved with it are the people that can't be pushed away by the heart break and pains of the hobby..)
Considering all the money and time that was spent by the AMA, MAAC and the entire industry, you hit the nail on the head.
For several years a large club was allowed one hour to put on a RC flying demo at full scale air show, featuring the Blue Angels one year and the Thunder Birds in other years. The club laid out an enormous presentation of all types of RC aircraft and flew them in front of 10,000 spectators, (a guess). They had several booths to hand out AMA information along with related RC magazines. I was told by a couple of members they may have gotten a couple of new members, if that many. The members said that the newbies showed up a couple of times and were never seen again.Now we are seeing some of the large industry members like Hobbico, and several others calling it quits.

Last edited by fliers1; 04-23-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:09 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people on here condescending about others replying to older threads doesn't help either . it might be an old thread, but there also might be someone searching the same issue,....how do you think an old thread gets brought to the top of a forum ?. if you think,.... by condescending,... you are making a replier feel stupid,.... you are sadly mistaken. all it does is make people not want to participate and that hurts the hobby's support. think beyond your smart-a** nose before you tell someone they are replying to an old thread..
Old 06-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by r ward
people on here condescending about others replying to older threads doesn't help either . it might be an old thread, but there also might be someone searching the same issue,....how do you think an old thread gets brought to the top of a forum ?. if you think,.... by condescending,... you are making a replier feel stupid,.... you are sadly mistaken. all it does is make people not want to participate and that hurts the hobby's support. think beyond your smart-a** nose before you tell someone they are replying to an old thread..
There are ways to let someone know they are responding to what is basically a dead thread that aren't condescending, or worse. I normally will say something about the last previous post date and try to respond to the person's post. If I can't really give new information, I'll say so and try to refer that person to a thread or person that can help them. If the thread is more than three or four years dormant, I will also let the person know that there is probably newer and more relevant information available and suggest they start a new thread so that they can get the more up-to-date info
Old 07-13-2018, 04:58 AM
r ward

my point is who cares if it's an old thread or not. people have questions that arise about older issues all the time. these forums are for information gathering AND entertainment. commenting on an older thread is simply giving some input to an issue that is on the board. if it's on the board, it's open for comment and reply. I have gotten replies for questions that were months old where there was several quickly posted replies that were not in any way pertinent to the question and then finally someone who was looking back at older threads, understood what info I was looking for and gave a reply that answered my question.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 AM
r ward

where to us,...meaning those of the older generation,....learning to fly was a real challenge and an accomplishement when success was finally attained.
todays generation has learned to function in the second element ( as using a controller of some sort to operate an object electronically) . much of the thrill and challenge that we experienced in learning to fly by R/C is now a normal daily activity for our kids in their teens. I have witnessed a teenager grab a transmitter and fly a plane for the very first time like he was doing it for years already. this kid landed his plane taxied it back to where he was shut everything off and grabbed his phone to start playing some game as though the flight was almost a "distraction break" to his game playing !.
I felt somewhat belittled !.