Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Information Regarding FPV.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Information Regarding FPV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:30 PM
TheThunderbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information Regarding FPV.

I'm certainly not new to aviation and r/c since I've always been very interested, but I'm not very familiar with fixed wing FPV. Regardless I've got an idea to make a long range UAV, and fly it across a large lake. I'm pretty sure I would be the first to actually fly an R/C over this lake, and the thought of that really motivates me. However as stated before I have no idea where to begin, so I figured I'd provide you guys with the minimum design requirements and let you tell me if this is even achievable, and if so what I'll need.

50 KM Signal Range.
105 KM Range.
50 KM/H Speed.

That is the bare minimum I calculated to make the trip across, spend some time at the destination for recording video and then fly back with battery reserve for potential head winds. The aircraft will always be flying over water so I'm assuming signal strength won't be an issue, but can a video link survive that kind of distance? And as for the air frame I've been looking at the X-UAV Clouds, the dual motor design is very appealing but I don't know if it will work for my needs. I'd really appreciate your advice, excuse me since I'm more of a pilot than a builder.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, let me start this off. I can tell you don't live in the US since you're using Kilometers as units of distance. That said, I'm probably going to shoot you down and here's why:
50 KM signal range) This requires a transmitter with a lot of power. In the US, all R/C transmitters are limited to .5 watt.
105 KM range) I'm assuming you're looking at electric flight. To pull this off, you would need some serious battery packs.
50 KM speed) This would be very doable as many planes can fly that slow.
Now, let's look at the issues:
Control Signal Range) With a power limit of .5 wants, this gives you a range of no more than 1.5 miles and more likely you'd get about a mile, at best. Since 1KM is .62 miles and you want to reach 50KM, that's 31miles.
Video Signal Range) This is going to be an issue as well. Again, you're looking at needing a lot of power to reach your receiver. Since a video signal is much more complex than a control signal, I doubt it would hold up over that kind of range. Even the US military has to deal with range issues and, unfortunately, their solution isn't available to the average R/C flyer
I was just reading up on your plane. While the literature says "the Clouds can go over 80 km and back thanks to its maximum 3 hours fly time", you have to read the prior sentence that says "With the help of FPV equipments or UAV autopilot", not with R/C gear. Even if it could work, at least here in the US, it would be illegal to do so since it would violate the "line of site" rules that require you to be able to see your aircraft at all times while it's flying

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-20-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:40 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What you are looking to do is well within military grade UAV territory. Hobby RC equipment isn't going to get you anywhere close to those goals.