Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting back into RC after 11 years absent

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting back into RC after 11 years absent

Old 05-09-2018, 02:13 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into RC after 11 years absent

Oh boy, its been a while... I think 11 years since I last flew something? College and new friends pulled me away from the hobby for a long time, but I'm trying to get back into RC.

Yesterday, I pulled my old planes and radios out of storage. They're in fairly sad shape after multiple moves and a decade spent in hot storage units. I think I can salvage most of, if not all of the planes, but my transmitters got the worst of it. All of them have issues of one kind or another. Broken pots, broken switches, broken trim tabs... I have one that's somewhat functional, but the throttle binds at the top and bottom of the throw, I haven't been able to determine why even after disassembling it. It's charger wondered off over the years too.

All this leads me to me to ask... should I look for a used 72Mhz radio (all of my old stuff is 72Mhz Futaba and Hitec), or is there sufficient reason to change to something modern? Other than interference concerns, is there a benefit to 2.4Ghz transmitters? If I go that route, I'll need to buy receivers too. If you think I should go for something new, any recommendations? A 6 channel transmitter would be sufficient for all my planes. I'm going to start off with a Zagi as I re-learn to fly, so elevons are a requirement. I assume most radios out there will do that, but just making sure. I'm not brave enough to try something made of balsa after such a long break...

Thanks all,
Collin
Old 05-10-2018, 04:45 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was slow to switch from FM to 2.4, but the benefits became obvious.

Modern 2.4 transmitters have more features, and are easier to set up. They hold multiple models, allowing the pilot to own a single TX, that will handle 10-20, or more air frames.

You have stated that you are having problems with your TX, now may be the time for you to update your radio.

I use Hitec equipment. The radios have easy to understand manuals. RXs are reasonably priced, especially when purchased in multiples of three.

Welcome back to the hobby !
Old 05-10-2018, 07:18 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One plus point if you stick with 72 mz is the availability of 72 mz TXs for next to nothing. An early computer radio will give you multiple model memory and most of the bells and whistles. Going down this route lets you use your existing rxs. However you may be the only person at a club field still 72 mz and the peg board is not in use.

6 ch 2.4 computer Txs are under 100$ and Rxs under 20$ from the likes of Hobby King.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:34 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes..... 2.4 equipment is so cheap now-a-days, it doesn't pay to fool with the old stuff any more. I have one 72htz radio only because it was given to me about 2 months after I bought an EX6 radio. (I too re-entered rc flying recently after an almost 40 year absence) !. I put it in a coroplast high wing trainer that I built to re-learn flying. with 2.4 stuff it's so nice to not have to worry about interference and loosing signal. to be honest, I probably won't even buy batteries for my 72hrtz radio when it needs them. i'll spend the battery money on another Rx for my 2.4 radio and use that.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:13 AM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. After looking at what it would take to make my old stuff usable again, I decided to just buy something new. After a little shopping around I settled on a Spektrum DX6e. It's amazing what features you can get in a radio for ~$150 nowadays. I'm sure it has more than I'll ever use. Can't wait to give it a go, but I've got planes to fix first!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't buy the DX6e. It's a stripped down version of the DX6 that's only redeeming feature is that it's cheap. The DX6 is fine, as are the standard 6 channel computer radios from every other manufacturer.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree with Jester, don't buy something just because it looks like it's a good deal. At the same time, don't let the glitzy bells and whistles sway you either. For example, I have butted heads with other boaters over their belief that a Futaba FASST system is a better choice than the less expensive FHSS systems. The only difference is the FASST has an added ID code in the transmit signal, IIRC. I just can't justify double the price for a FASST system for an added line of code when I can buy an equally good FHSS system, several receivers and servos for the same price
Old 05-23-2018, 09:02 AM
jester_s1

The FASST system is genuinely faster, with quicker updates between signals. FASST radios generally are the flagship models with several extra features. All 2.4ghz systems have an ID code embedded in the signal. That's how they reject interference. However, I agree with you that most of us would never notice the difference in control speed between FHSS and FASST.

On the OP's original concern, I'll repeat the oft given advice to buy the best radio you can at the beginning. Obviously, if you have no intentions to fly complicated scale models with multiple servos on every control surface you won't need 10 or 12 channels, but do get a radio that is fully programmable with assignable switches and flight modes. That means 8 channels or more from most manufacturers. It's an extra $100-$150 to get those features, but it's nice to not have to upgrade radios when your interests change. I bought an Airtronics RDS8000 thinking it would be all I ever would need. I never needed more than 8 channels, but I really wanted the programming features of the better radios. So I sold it and bought the SD10G. I also liked the better gimbals and better overall build quality of the SD10G. On the value I lost selling the RDS8000 used, I could have bought two receivers.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by jester_s1
The FASST system is genuinely faster, with quicker updates between signals. FASST radios generally are the flagship models with several extra features. All 2.4ghz systems have an ID code embedded in the signal. That's how they reject interference. However, I agree with you that most of us would never notice the difference in control speed between FHSS and FASST.
And, with your post, you validated mine. I was trying to show where you can save money and still get value, using the FHSS and FASST systems as an example. For $180, I can buy a Futaba FHSS 4PLS surface radio and receiver, three S9156 high torque digital servos at $130 each and a $35 LiFeSource 6.6V 2100mAh 10C battery pack, totaling $569.96. That is $10 less than the comparable FASST 4PX, at $580 for transmitter and receiver. I have to agree with you, that a few microseconds of faster response isn't going to be a big deal to anyone in this as a hobby. Heck, I even had to slow down and shorten my rudder throw on my boats to keep from over-controlling them in the corners. This is where programming can be important, as you stated in your post. Multiple model memories is another feature that comes in handy as it's cheaper to buy one transmitter and multiple receivers than it is to buy several radio sets so you can have one per model
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 AM
jester_s1

I wasn't disagreeing with you, HydroJunkie. I merely meant to point out that the cost difference in the Futaba line isn't only about the spread spectrum technology but also extra features and sometimes build quality too.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

I know, never said you were. In fact, I was totally agreeing with you in the second half of my post.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:48 AM
jester_s1

Gotcha,. It sounds like we are good then.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmedZagi
I decided to just buy something new. After a little shopping around I settled on a Spektrum DX6e.
Good idea and good choice in my opinion. I am easing back into the hobby after a 30 year hiatus. I may purchase that one also. I have it in my long range sights at the moment. Need to churn and burn on my new simulator for a bit before I drop my coins on it

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-21-2018 at 12:08 PM.