Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hey all, lost my first plane today.

Reply

Old 06-13-2018, 06:02 PM
  #1  
CFinn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hey all, lost my first plane today.

hello fellow flyers.


bought a t-28 Trojan micro plane last week had about 10 flights on it, brand new still but a few small dings. Could not believe I lost it. I feel like such a noob. And yes I am still new to the hobby. I learned back in April to avoid trees at all costs after getting my sport cub stuck in one, and light poles and mailboxes, etc.

but was getting a bit overconfident, went to bank it around for a final approach today and lost line of sight behind the one tree that was in the way should have been a 3 sec timeframe but the plane never reappeared. So I jogged off to the ortherside of the tree, didnít see it, then back again to the other side of the tree and it was gone..gone gone gone.. it didnít hit the tree it was just blocking my view.

i did have safe mode active since it was a new plane. Gave it a bit of up elevator and started banking it to the right even though I had no idea where it was. Did this while I was scrambling to find it. Two minutes later I gave up. Then I spend an hour and a half walking around the residential area I live in, then the bean field, then the corn field, then in the car retracing the area....very bummed.

the area outside my house isnít perfect for flying but I have a corn/bean field across the road and usually keep it out their but it was a landing approach run. Whitch mean I have to bring it in to land in a tighter area and of course it was downwind when I lost it. (I was turning it into the wind).

anybody ever find a plane after losing it like that? What do you guys do when you lose sight of a plane? Any advice is welcomed. I wish I would have just plowed it into the ground now, having it disappear is the worst.
CFinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:19 PM
  #2  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 6,974
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I would have pulled it straight up. Once it cleared the tree tops, it would have been visible again and you could have brought it down without losing it.
Unfortunately, this also illustrates the unspoken flaw of using safe mode, the plane will fly until the battery pack dies or it hits something tall enough to be in the way
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 AM
  #3  
A. J. Clark
 
A. J. Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Craigville, IN
Posts: 362
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

If you can't see it or don't have control anymore best thing to do is pull the throttle back and hope for the best . Less change of damage and not likely that it will go to far away.
A. J. Clark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:18 AM
  #4  
mgnostic
 
mgnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kamay, TX
Posts: 904
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I feel your pain. I once parked my first plane in a waist high hay field. The only way I found it was by listening for the servos when I moved the sticks. This is probably probably good advice too late but things like this are the reason for putting a label with a name and address inside the plane.
mgnostic is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:34 PM
  #5  
countilaw
 
countilaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 1,288
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

A good reason to join a club and have a proper place to fly. Another is you would learn the rules and know that you are to have your name and address including your AMA number and FAA number. Oh, but wait, you have probably never heard of them.

Oh well it was just a toy foamy anyway.
countilaw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:40 AM
  #6  
A. J. Clark
 
A. J. Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Craigville, IN
Posts: 362
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Maybe my depth perception is not good . When I have lost planes I have always found them alot closer than I though would be. I would just go to the tree where you lost sight of it and work out from there.

If you were give​​​​​ing it up and right to get it back to you and it never reappeared from behind the tree I would look at that tree really good and the area around it.

Last edited by A. J. Clark; 06-16-2018 at 06:48 AM.
A. J. Clark is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:39 PM
  #7  
CFinn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thanks for the posts, good info except for count law, I do have a registration number. Why not for 5 Bucks, it worth peace of mind if somebody ever did call the cops. AMA number huh? Why is that required... thankfully people in my neighborhood love seeing me fly. The bigger planes get flown off a level B service road.

anyhow, yes I should have kicked off safe and taken it straight up. I will remember that.

i never did find the plane.
CFinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:52 PM
  #8  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,508
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

CFinn- I'm sorry to hear about your plane. All of us have heard that unsatisfying crunch at least once. It never gets easier.
To answer your question, the AMA is the Academy of Model Aeronautics. It is the national organization for model planes, and being a member gives you a liability policy for RC flying, Had your plane been found sticking out of someone's windshield or been traced back to you after hurting someone, the AMA would have paid the claim.

Even if you don't join the AMA, you should have a look at their safety code. It's well thought out and has resulted in a stellar safety record for our hobby. You've discovered the hard way one of the rules, "I will maintain visual contact...". If you can't do a landing approach without flying behind some trees, then you need a different location. Consider joining a club. That will get you a good flying site along with others who share the same interest. You'll learn more about flying in a year at the club than you will in 5 years doing it on your own.
Whatever you decide though,welcome to the group and to the hobby. You'll find that the vast majority of us will bend over backwards to help you.
jester_s1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM
  #9  
CFinn
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 18
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Thank you for the post Jester. My wife is a lawyer and just asked me two days ago if I should get liability insurance of some kind...good timing. I will look into it
CFinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 AM
  #10  
Appowner
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 43
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark View Post
Maybe my depth perception is not good . When I have lost planes I have always found them alot closer than I though would be. I would just go to the tree where you lost sight of it and work out from there.

If you were give​​​​​ing it up and right to get it back to you and it never reappeared from behind the tree I would look at that tree really good and the area around it.
That's funny, whenever I had a situation like this I always found the plane further away than I thought it was.
Appowner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:47 AM
  #11  
jeff1127
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 156
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
CFinn- I'm sorry to hear about your plane. All of us have heard that unsatisfying crunch at least once. It never gets easier.
To answer your question, the AMA is the Academy of Model Aeronautics. It is the national organization for model planes, and being a member gives you a liability policy for RC flying, Had your plane been found sticking out of someone's windshield or been traced back to you after hurting someone, the AMA would have paid the claim.

Even if you don't join the AMA, you should have a look at their safety code. It's well thought out and has resulted in a stellar safety record for our hobby. You've discovered the hard way one of the rules, "I will maintain visual contact...". If you can't do a landing approach without flying behind some trees, then you need a different location. Consider joining a club. That will get you a good flying site along with others who share the same interest. You'll learn more about flying in a year at the club than you will in 5 years doing it on your own.
Whatever you decide though,welcome to the group and to the hobby. You'll find that the vast majority of us will bend over backwards to help you.

I read the rules to state you are only covered at an AMA approved flying site.
jeff1127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 AM
  #12  
init4fun
 
init4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,105
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by jeff1127 View Post
I read the rules to state you are only covered at an AMA approved flying site.
100% NOT TRUE .

As long as your not trespassing , or flying in an area where flying is specifically prohibited , you MOST CERTAINLY ARE covered for liability as an AMA member .

Don't believe me ? (an AMA member for over 50 years) , call the AMA and speak with the insurance coordinator .

Now , as to the lost model plane , for stupid short money (less than $10) there are devices called "lost model locators" that will emit a VERY loud beeping sound enabling a lost model to be found . The usual mode of operation is that it plugs into an unused receiver port and will begin beeping if the RX receives no signals from the TX for a predetermined amount of time , usually a couple of minutes . Loose sight of your plane in the woods or weeds ? Simply turn off the TX and two minutes later follow the loud beeps to where your model came to rest . Now that you've lost one (most of us have) you'll likely want to look into a lost model locator , I have one installed in every RC model plane I own ......
init4fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:57 PM
  #13  
jester_s1
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,508
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yes, AMA covers your flying anywhere with the one caveat that you must be using the AMA safety code in your flying. So it won't cover you if you decide to fly over people, fly with a camera beyond your line of sight, fly near an airport, etc.
jester_s1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:07 PM
  #14  
jeff1127
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 156
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
100% NOT TRUE .

As long as your not trespassing , or flying in an area where flying is specifically prohibited , you MOST CERTAINLY ARE covered for liability as an AMA member .

Don't believe me ? (an AMA member for over 50 years) , call the AMA and speak with the insurance coordinator .

Now , as to the lost model plane , for stupid short money (less than $10) there are devices called "lost model locators" that will emit a VERY loud beeping sound enabling a lost model to be found . The usual mode of operation is that it plugs into an unused receiver port and will begin beeping if the RX receives no signals from the TX for a predetermined amount of time , usually a couple of minutes . Loose sight of your plane in the woods or weeds ? Simply turn off the TX and two minutes later follow the loud beeps to where your model came to rest . Now that you've lost one (most of us have) you'll likely want to look into a lost model locator , I have one installed in every RC model plane I own ......

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.
jeff1127 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:07 PM
  #15  
RipTidez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: York Pa
Posts: 12
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

RipTidez is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service