Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Carbon or aluminum.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Carbon or aluminum.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:22 AM
swampyankee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbon or aluminum.

I need some opinion on the two aforementioned choices. The kit I'm working on (Fokke 1/5th ME 109 E) requires two tubes (one 35MM x 450 MM and one 15MM x 950MM) for the wing mounting. Aluminum is the named type but I've heard carbon fiber is lighter and stronger. What is the conventional wisdom? Thanks.
Jim
Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, it's lighter because it has a higher strength to weight ratio. So if you need to save every ounce you can, go with carbon. But if a little weight won't hurt, aluminum is both cheaper and a bit more forgiving. If you drop aluminum, it will dent which can be fixed. Carbon though will split which mean it will have to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:33 PM
jetmech05

Default Instructions

When in doubt follow the instructions
Old 07-30-2018, 02:35 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech05
When in doubt follow the instructions

Add me to that list.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:47 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes,.... follow the instructions unless you are entirely familiar with the materials and methods you plan to use in replacement. that said, a carbon fiber tube instead of aluminum is pretty basic. and as far as repairing fractures (should that happen) I think I would rather have a carbon tube in place, instead of an aluminum tube. a carbon tube will return to it's original dimension and will need to be scuffed on the outside and a patch laminated over the crack, where an aluminum tube, if cracked, needs to be replaced, or if dented, the dent pushed out.... (not that easy to get good results) and is easily stretched if too much force, or the wrong method, is used to push the dent out, making the mounting fit loose. if you do use a carbon tube, make sure you reinforce the entry end to avoid cracks.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:28 PM
swampyankee

Thanks all, stuck to the plans, not the only reason, there are a lot of different types of carbon tube on the market. Didn't know which I should go with. That, and it's pricey.
It's going take a month or better to get here though. But it was cheaper from Eng. than getting it in the states.