Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do I properly connect motor, ESC and Battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do I properly connect motor, ESC and Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 05:53 PM
mcangelo4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I properly connect motor, ESC and Battery?

I have A rimfire and a Talon 90 ESC I need to install my Great Planes Revolver. Can someone help me with a link on dos and fonts or post here? I dont think I can put the ESC in the position the instructions recommend due to space.

I'm a first timer with this install and would like to know if there's a resource that has a start to finish install. The motor is a Rimfire. I'm very excited to complete this critical step and just want to make sure I'm doing it right!
Old 09-03-2018, 06:29 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you asking about the 3 wires? Just connect them any way you want and see if the motor turns the right way. If not, switch any two.

That handled, have you flown RC planes before? A Revolver isn't for beginners. It's a great plane no doubt, but not a trainer at all. A beginner would have practically zero chance at flying a Revolver successfully without instruction.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:19 AM
mcangelo4

Jest,

I wish I could post the pics but since Im new to forum I cant until I post 10 posts haha. Are there any resources you folks have or a link to someone installing an ESC to the motor? I just want to see how its done from start to finish with testing.

You're right Revolver isnt for noobs. I am getting ready for when Im not a noob and no longer on a trainer. When the revolver goes airborne it will be flown by someone that is legit. (Not me)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

If it was my plane, I'd find someone familiar with electric drives and have them help you. One thing you're going to be dealing with, if the ESC has to be a distance from the motor, is voltage drop. You will lose voltage at any and all connections due to resistance. Depending on the motor, ESC and the length of the wires in between, you may also lose voltage due to the resistance of the wires used. If you must use added wires to reach your ESC, be sure to use wires LARGER than what is used on the motor and outputs from the ESC. This will minimize the voltage loss and prevent heat build up
Old 09-06-2018, 10:44 AM
mcangelo4

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
If it was my plane, I'd find someone familiar with electric drives and have them help you. One thing you're going to be dealing with, if the ESC has to be a distance from the motor, is voltage drop. You will lose voltage at any and all connections due to resistance. Depending on the motor, ESC and the length of the wires in between, you may also lose voltage due to the resistance of the wires used. If you must use added wires to reach your ESC, be sure to use wires LARGER than what is used on the motor and outputs from the ESC. This will minimize the voltage loss and prevent heat build up
hey hydro thanks for this! Unfortunately I'm alone on this.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:28 PM
jester_s1

It's really simple. The 3 wires that come out of one end of the ESC go to the motor. Then there are two wires on the other end that go to the battery. The red one goes to the positive lead on the battery. Then the servo plug on the ESC goes to the throttle channel on your receiver. If you get it all hooked up and the motor turns the wrong direction, switch any two of the wires on it.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:13 PM
mcangelo4

Originally Posted by jester_s1
It's really simple. The 3 wires that come out of one end of the ESC go to the motor. Then there are two wires on the other end that go to the battery. The red one goes to the positive lead on the battery. Then the servo plug on the ESC goes to the throttle channel on your receiver. If you get it all hooked up and the motor turns the wrong direction, switch any two of the wires on it.
thanks jester!!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:03 AM
mcangelo4

Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 AM
mcangelo4

Old 09-09-2018, 10:07 AM
mcangelo4

Is it ok the mounting braket for esc is hanging off cuz i can only fit two screws?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08 AM
mcangelo4

Would love some help on how to complete this whole next step from making sure I'm mounting the ESC properly and also how to connect the actual ESC to the batteries. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the kit come with any other connectors that would attach to the red and black wires from the ESC?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:50 PM
mcangelo4

No the kit didnt come with any connectors but I can order or I may have some other ones that may work. So its literally just from the ESC to the battery and thats it? What about the third smaller wire? That goes into any slot in the receiver?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Is it a triple wire with a connector on it? If so, that will go into your throttle channel location on the receiver. To find out which location that is, you will need to connect a servo to each location and move the control to see if it responds. The location that responds is where you plug in your speed controller
Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM
mcangelo4

Perfect! Thanks!
Old 09-10-2018, 06:20 PM
jester_s1

So I see a Y connector with Deans plugs above, and then a see a 4 cell lipo with EC3 connectors below. What do you have? Was your setup meant to be used with dual batteries? It's no big deal if it was, just a bit of soldering to take care of.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:43 PM
mcangelo4

Took off deans and soldered to wires. Hope thats ok!

Video- https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=WF_jcLttVkY
Old 09-13-2018, 03:13 AM
jester_s1

Your motor is spinning the wrong direction. Switch 2 of the wires going to it to fix it. Your ESC may also have a setting to fix it.
What do you mean you took off the Deans and soldered the wires? Did you permantly attach the battery to the ESC?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 AM
Hydro Junkie

Definitely spinning backwards. I was wondering the same thing Jester. Mcandelo4, it might have been better if you had connected everything on the bench and showed us a video like you did with your motor installed