Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I'm an old noob, back after 38 years!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I'm an old noob, back after 38 years!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stickslammer
By wobble I mean trial and error just to see which way I need to push the stick.
I have done the wobble you speak of. And I will do it in the future if I need to, but my mind is either in the plane (where left is left) or on the ground when things are reversed. This is where I switch to pushing the stick towards the wing that is down.

Here is a video showing how my instructor taught me to reverse my thinking when the plane is coming towards you. I love the sound of this twin engine B-25 Mitchell. I just notice this is a re-post. Sorry about that

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CBJID-No8zQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Lee Taylor

I probably should get a RF8. It wouldn`t hurt and is better than watching some dumb show on TV.
I agree on both points. I hate spending my money BUT it was well worth it. I bet I have put 100 flights on mine. I purchased mine on Aug 21 from Tower. I did not realize they had gone broke and been bought out. I had zero problems with the purchase and delivery
Old 10-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement, Lee Taylor. It`s good to see you and others like johnnymax, the thread starter, getting back into it. The hobby certainly needs you. I`ve been back a few years after a 10 year absence and plan to stick around for the duration. Hopefully many others will dust off their old planes, refit as necessary, and fly.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Lee Taylor

Well I have come to realize that when I was young it was something I was interested in and I really did not care if anyone else liked it or not. Although it is great to find others with the same interest. In the early days I was in the hobby for me. I suppose it is still that way for me personally. I grew up as a "modeler". I see the simulator as a natural step for me. It has increased my flying skills by a factor of 10. People want different things from the hobby. One has to do what is best for themselves
Old 10-07-2018, 04:44 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I get disoriented every time I fly, which I just chalk up to the notion that I don`t fly enough to have it be second nature or keep the "muscle memory" in play. I figure I would have to fly at least 3 or 4 hours a week to get to the point where my plane doesn`t wobble a lot. Simulator? I don`t know. I spent some time on the one at the hobby shop and it just feels totally different to me.
Wobble? Maybe you have your controls set too sensitive........................ Just a thought.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:35 PM
johnnymax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RF8 came in last week and today is finally got the Spektrum transmitter hooked up and working. I have now successfully crashed over a thousand dollars worth of virtual airplanes, LOL
But it is coming back. The main problem I have to overcome is, back in the 80s I used mode 1 and now I am switching to mode 2, because that is what everyone at the local RC field uses, except for one person.
After flying many of the planes, I think I would like to build a Great Planes Basic Light Trainer Park Flyer. Has anyone cloned it out of dollar tree foam board.
That is the only plane I can fly very easily. I figured that was a sign LOL

Last edited by johnnymax; 10-08-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 AM
Lee Taylor

Originally Posted by johnnymax
RF8 came in last week and today is finally got the Spektrum transmitter hooked up and working. I have now successfully crashed over a thousand dollars worth of virtual airplanes, LOL
But it is coming back. The main problem I have to overcome is, back in the 80s I used mode 1 and now I am switching to mode 2, because that is what everyone at the local RC field uses, except for one person.
After flying many of the planes, I think I would like to build a Great Planes Basic Light Trainer Park Flyer. Has anyone cloned it out of dollar tree foam board.
That is the only plane I can fly very easily. I figured that was a sign LOL
I think my next transmitter is going to be a Spektrum. I am being told that they work with more receivers than Futaba (my other target). Glad to hear it arrived and it is functioning. Un-wanted complications is why I purchased the controller (transmitter) with mine. I actually have a suspicion that the simulators are part of the reason for the decline in the industry. In my experience, flying on the sim is VERY similar to flying at a field. The time and expense difference is significant. Going to the field requires: getting ready, loading the vehicle, purchasing gasoline, purchasing model fuel, drive time, social interaction (a good thing for me), getting the plane into the air, cleaning the plane after the flight, re-fueling, packing it in, driving home. Such a big difference from the simulator. On the sim it is flight after flight at the push of a button. No cost and little time involved.

I have learned a LOT about myself using the sim. At this point in time all the rust I had accumulated is gone. If I were to purchase a plane today it would be the Edge 540. It is my favorite on the sim. Two months ago I would have said I am leaning towards a "floater" with some dihedral in the main wing. Today I prefer the larger higher performance models. Even though I prefer the larger models on the sim, in real life I will not allow myself to go the expense of 1/4 scale or larger. I know me and I know I will eventually have a mishap and I am not wanting to incur that level of re-build and expense

https://sigmfg.com/collections/seagu...odels-edge-540

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 10-09-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 PM
johnnymax

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
(Clip)....The time and expense difference is significant. Going to the field requires: getting ready, loading the vehicle, purchasing gasoline, purchasing model fuel, drive time, social interaction (a good thing for me), getting the plane into the air, cleaning the plane after the flight, re-fueling, packing it in, driving home. Such a big difference from the simulator. On the sim it is flight after flight at the push of a button. No cost and little time involved.... (Clip)
https://sigmfg.com/collections/seagu...odels-edge-540
I am on the Simulator only because I want to improve my skills and eventually spend more time flying and "hopefully" less time rebuilding busted up planes. Well, that statement is not entirely true, the simulator is fun too! I plan to start with home built Elecrtified Foamy's, but I plan to eventually get back into building planes that are balsa with skins and nitro engines. One step at a time, not in a hurry, I want to enjoy the journey. One day 1/4 scale and I am keeping my cargo van for that reason
Old 10-10-2018, 05:17 AM
Lee Taylor

Nitro is a mess but it is what I grew up with. I have tried electric on the sim. Its okay. Not crazy about it but it does seem much easier. My aspirations mostly revolve around having fun
Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 AM
johnnymax

Originally Posted by Lee Taylor
....My aspirations mostly revolve around having fun
I am just on the sim right now, but I am already having fun. I have started actually planing for retirement (right at 10 years from now) and gearing up and learning as much as I can about this hobby is part of it.
Along with getting sim fly hours every evening, I am trying to study up and learn about foam board airplane construction. I am trying to get a handle of what size electric motor, prop size etc. Electric is all new to me.
I have designed my 4th foam board airplane. I may actually build this one. It has a 60" span and I hope it will be light and slow.....
I was trying to figure out what all electric components I need. I may just buy a flight power pack from FlightTest. It has everything matched together. All I need is a batter and a receiver. It saves me all the guess work.
I am looking at this power pack
Small Power Pack
Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 AM
Lee Taylor

I am thinking an electric is in my future. Just not sure when.

I backed away from the sim for a while. Now I am getting the itch to jump back in.

The "design" aspect gets my attention because I have a lifetime of invention, design, creation, and engineering experience.

Since my childhood was all "glow fuel", I find I am attracted to the 4-cycle gasoline engines

Just not sure where it is going for me at this point in time. I am not the type that needs to impress others but the type that needs to make myself happy. I guess I would say the next thing for me is to visit some more R/C plane meets

I visited with these guys in SC
Sodbusters