Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RF8 is so worth it

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RF8 is so worth it

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 AM
johnnymax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RF8 is so worth it

It was recommended here that I break down and order RealFlight 8. I am so glad I did! I had a friend give me his old Transmitter and I ordered a universal cable to connect the transmitter to my computer via USB. The first time I hooked it up and started flying it was like when I started flying RC airplanes back in the 80's. Crash! Crash! Crash! I must have crashed several thousands of dollars worth of planes in the first session. It did not cost me anything like it did back when I was trying to learn to fly skinned balsa framed plane. I never mastered it back in the 80's because I spent more time repairing and I did not have anyone to teach me.
Well, I fly RF8 every evening and I fly a bunch of different models too. I am so much better now. I can land and touch and go and do aerobatics. I know it is not the same as real flight (pun intended) but now I am less likely to get confused about which way to move the controls to get the plane to do what I want in any direction plane is going in reference to me. I plan to sim fly all Winter so when I want a plane to turn, dive, roll, climb, dive, etc. my hands will react without me having to be concious of how to move my thumbs. It is already getting that way. I think "bank right and climb" and it is automatic no mater if the plane is flying toward me, or away from me. From left to right or right to let.
I know one thing, there are certain airplanes that I NEVER plan to build or fly based on how they fly in the sim. There are also planes I really like how they fly and hope to one day get. I was surprised at how some of the biplanes have so much lift and seem much more graceful when they fly, at least to me. I am becoming a biplane fan and I never was.
Anyway, if you are planing on getting into RC Flight, I can't express how much RF8 is a valuable training tool.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Simulators are great for building your muscle memory and reflexes. Also great for learning the mechanics of new maneuvers. I don't think I'd have ever learned to do a proper slow roll without one.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:48 PM
prizebull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a use RF 3.5 and I think it's helped me.I would like to get the RF 8
Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM
BalsaGhost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree. I've been flying rc for years and just got RF8. What a great tool for learning new skills and honing others!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 AM
dhavi4226

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me if their is a cable available for a Futaba FM radio that has USB to Buddy port. I'd like to utilize the radios l already have. Im getting back into flying After about 20 yrs.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:21 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Big sim fan here in Charleston SC.