Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

trouble flying in advanced mode

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

trouble flying in advanced mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trouble flying in advanced mode

is anybody else having trouble keepingyour safe/advanced mode plane in control when you switch from safe to advanced? iam to the point where iam ready to give up the hobby. anybody else feel that way?

Last edited by obrien135; 01-27-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the trouble with those systems. In Safe mode, it allows you to fly, making all kinds of mistakes and ingraining them into your muscle memory, but keeps the plane in the air. When switched off, you still have all of the bad habits but now there is nothing else to help keep the plane in the air. The best way to learn is with an instructor (training is free at most AMA clubs) on a buddy box and no stabilization system active. If you can't/won't go the instructor route, an RC simulator is the next best route.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

More information would be very helpful. While I agree to the previous statement to a degree, there could be something going on with the setup of the airplane that makes it difficult to fly without safe mode. What TX is being used? What airplane is it? Has an experienced pilot flown it off safe mode? What exactly does it do when safe mode is switched off? What are the control throws off safe mode? Does the TX have a exponential feature and is it being used? Without all the nessesary information you have basically called you mechanic and said " my car don't drive right, what's wrong".
Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

The above replies are right on - we need to know more. Without that, my guess is that you just have way too much control surface movement in Advanced mode. Dialing it down and/or adding exponential, will probably be what you need. Be we can't give any firm guidance until we know more.
What plane?
What transmitter?
Be as specific as you can in describing happens.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:56 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing, nothing, nothing teaches you better than having an instructor right there telling you what you're doing wrong. Sims, safe modes and doing it on your own can be successful to a point. But none of them provide you with the feedback you need to avoid bad habits building into your flying. Granted, an instructor is not always possible. But at some point you really need to make the effort to get with one if only for a weekend.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:31 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Appowner is absolutely correct here. Joining a local club if available and taking advantage of their instruction program is a big plus.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:11 PM
obrien135

Default Some specific s

Thank you for your responses. Des Plaines I used were 3 Horizon Hobby Sport Cub s + 2 t-28 Trojan s. The transmitters were the one that came with the Sport Cub Anda Spectrum d x e. I don't know about Expo but it sounds like it might help I'm not sure what the throes mean. Inexperienced pilot didn't try it. I'm not sure if that answers all your questions. I'm having trouble with my computer so please forgive my slow responses thank you very much
Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM
obrien135

Default More specifics

I learned what the Expo means and I think it might be that and dual rates that might help I don't have a plane now. I don't know if I want to invest in another one not knowing if it will make a difference. I'm using my phone to answer now and it's not working very well so please forgive the erroneous phrases that were on the previous reply I may give up the Harvey because I think it is bad for my mental health I meant to say Hobby not Harvey but it's become kind of an obsession and not a healthy one. But knowing about the Expo and the Dual rates when I had a plane might have been helpful. I don't think I want to open that can of worms now. Sorry I don't mean to be a downer. That's just the way I look at it thank you
Old 01-28-2019, 06:19 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien135
...... 3 Horizon Hobby Sport Cub s + 2 t-28 Trojan s.....
..... I don't have a plane now. I don't know if I want to invest in another one not.....
Good Grief Obie , have you actually destroyed 5 planes trying to do the self taught method ? I'm not busting your ballz here , I'm really not , but you do realize that for the cost of less than half of those planes you could have joined a club and had an Instructor teach you ? And still maybe had a couple or few planes to fly ?

Please , do your wallet , your spirit , and the hobby a favor , do not buy another plane till you commit to joining a club and learning the right way . I have no idea of where you fly but if it's anywhere near the general public every crash increases the chance that somebody's gonna get hit , and right now that's a hit the hobby don't need . Your talking about walking away from the hobby , I'm sure it must be damn frustrating to feel beaten , but a few sessions with a good Instructor will turn that around and give you the great feeling of having mastered it rather than being defeated by it .

PS , the Instructor will tell you what plane to buy once he sees your skills become perfected . Till then , if you DO join a club , most clubs have a few club owned trainers for the Instructor(s) to teach the new members how to fly with . AMA membership (required for most clubs) = $75 . Average club membership = $100 (give or take a few $$$ either way) . Learning the right way to fly for only $175 = PRICELESS

Last edited by init4fun; 01-28-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:11 AM
obrien135

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by init4fun
Good Grief Obie , have you actually destroyed 5 planes trying to do the self taught method ? I'm not busting your ballz here , I'm really not , but you do realize that for the cost of less than half of those planes you could have joined a club and had an Instructor teach you ? And still maybe had a couple or few planes to fly ?

Please , do your wallet , your spirit , and the hobby a favor , do not buy another plane till you commit to joining a club and learning the right way . I have no idea of where you fly but if it's anywhere near the general public every crash increases the chance that somebody's gonna get hit , and right now that's a hit the hobby don't need . Your talking about walking away from the hobby , I'm sure it must be damn frustrating to feel beaten , but a few sessions with a good Instructor will turn that around and give you the great feeling of having mastered it rather than being defeated by it .

PS , the Instructor will tell you what plane to buy once he sees your skills become perfected . Till then , if you DO join a club , most clubs have a few club owned trainers for the Instructor(s) to teach the new members how to fly with . AMA membership (required for most clubs) = $75 . Average club membership = $100 (give or take a few $$$ either way) . Learning the right way to fly for only $175 = PRICELESS
hey you very much for that information I will give it a very thorough consideration for now I will sign off enjoy the season
Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 AM
fliers1

hey you very much for that information I will give it a very thorough consideration for now I will sign off enjoy the season

Obrien,
This is how buddy-box instruction works. You will learn a lot and have more fun.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:44 AM
obrien135

Default Thank you for the video

Thank you for the video I will look at it as soon as I get to posting this message I wanted to mention that actually it was 12 or 13 planes over the past four or five years if you count scratch build ,kit and drones and helicopters. And I want to explain what was happening when I went into the advanced mode .it was going through a dive and if I was very careful to not ii touch the controls when I went into the advanced mode it would stay level until I gave. It morestick thenitwould. Go into. A. Dive,. I found it helped to. give a little back elevator but more often than not that. would. Cause it to go into an angular loop with you I tried to correct it went. towards the ground and crashing I meant to say aiming toward the ground the speech recognition is not working that well I hope this answers all your questions I think that rates and the Expo by help but is better that I heed your advice about the trainer at this point it's more prudent to. Try to do the same thing over and over again expecting. different results we know what that is the definition of thank you for your input hope you have a good flying season maybe I'll talk to you again sometime thank you bye

Last edited by obrien135; 01-29-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Skyhawk940

Joining a club will save you a lot of money. First, it will save you a few crashes and secondly, if you're really interested in flying and strapped for money, the club members will help you with items they aren't using. I would do that just to keep you in the hobby. We aren't getting enough young people interested anymore. Obrien, hang in there, it does get better. I have a early photo of my banged up plane in a trash can with a 'I quit' sign on it. Been there, done that!

Skyhawk
Sandusky, OH
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM
obrien135

Default Edited post

I edited. My. Previous post to make it more readable
Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try " Relaxing " . Since these fancy electronic" fly for ya " systems have come out I've noticed a LOT of people BANGING the sticks around . Most planes only require a very small movement of the sticks . People that learn on a symulator usually have a heck of a time getting used to a plane . If I'm teaching someone, I don't want the system even turned on!!! My feelings are if you can't learn to fly without the electronic helping hand , find someone else to hold your hand . Sorry but that's the way I feel . Yes I know there isn't always someone to help , then you just have to wing it. Red Good Luck
Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM
fliers1

Thank you for the video I will look at it as soon as I get to posting this message I wanted to mention that actually it was 12 or 13 planes over the past four or five years if you count scratch build ,kit and drones and helicopters. And I want to explain what was happening when I went into the advanced mode .it was going through a dive and if I was very careful to not ii touch the controls when I went into the advanced mode it would stay level until I gave. It morestick thenitwould. Go into. A. Dive,. I found it helped to. give a little back elevator but more often than not that. would. Cause it to go into an angular loop with you I tried to correct it went. towards the ground and crashing I meant to say aiming toward the ground the speech recognition is not working that well I hope this answers all your questions I think that rates and the Expo by help but is better that I heed your advice about the trainer at this point it's more prudent to. Try to do the same thing over and over again expecting. different results we know what that is the definition of thank you for your input hope you have a good flying season maybe I'll talk to you again sometime thank you bye
So much for the teach yourself mode on these radios for solving the hobby's lack of growth problems. I've trained many new pilots who had these auto pilot type systems who believed the manufacturers who claimed that beginners wouldn't need an instructor to learn to fly. These newbies would be banging the sticks back and forth, up and down thinking that is how to fly. There was no one to tell them they were doing it wrong. I had a couple of students who said they got disoriented and had planes fly away on them.
I've noticed that few, if related business is offering glow powered trainers anymore.

Last edited by fliers1; 01-31-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
Nothing, nothing, nothing teaches you better than having an instructor right there telling you what you're doing wrong. Sims, safe modes and doing it on your own can be successful to a point. But none of them provide you with the feedback you need to avoid bad habits building into your flying. Granted, an instructor is not always possible. But at some point you really need to make the effort to get with one if only for a weekend.
This and other good suggestions have been made to the OP in some of his many previous problem oriented posts. At some point, the OP has to take some of the advice that he frequently requests. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...archid=1764520
Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by TomCrump
This and other good suggestions have been made to the OP in some of his many previous problem oriented posts. At some point, the OP has to take some of the advice that he frequently requests. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...archid=1764520
I get invalid link
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
I get invalid link
Don't know how to fix it. Sorry.

I looked up the OP's profile, and found the list of threads that he has started. The link was to that list.

Maybe this will work. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...archid=1765430

Last edited by TomCrump; 01-31-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

That one didn't work either.
What helped me out in learning how to use a stick radio was to use it to control one of my boats. Since I was only dealing with two channels, throttle and ailerons, it helped me to learn to not overcontrol the boat. The nice part is that I didn't have to worry about the boat crashing since it wouldn't do much more than barrel roll of flip, making the damage minimal and repairs quick.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:44 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by TomCrump
Don't know how to fix it. Sorry.

I looked up the OP's profile, and found the list of threads that he has started. The link was to that list.

Maybe this will work. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...archid=1765430
RCU Forums - Search Results Which one? Don't know if this one will work.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:00 PM
fliers1

Obrien,
I got an idea. Take a vacation trip to Lockport, NY. I know it's a quite a drive, but I can absolutely guarantee that I could teach you to fly very safely, confidently and skillfully on your own within a few short hours.
It might take you more than a day or two, but I doubt it. You can use my LT-40 trainer for the full time and or bring your trainers. All this will cost you is travel and motel lodging. This is a free offer since I would really hate to see you quit the hobby. I've been doing this for over 40 years and is the only reason I'm still in the hobby/sport. I've presented this to AMA but although they did add videos and my information on their website, they don't seem too interested in sending someone to me so I could teach them my promotion/training method. Oh well. Just a thought. You could tell the wife you always wanted to see Niagara Falls, which is 20 from Lockport. lol
Old 01-31-2019, 11:16 PM
obrien135

Default Thank you for the offer

I'll have to check with my wife. Maybe we can take a vacation the spring and see the Niagara Falls at the same trip
Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 AM
fliers1

I'll have to check with my wife. Maybe we can take a vacation the spring and see the Niagara Falls at the same trip
Very good. Hope to see you this coming flying season. Maybe your wife might like to learn.

BTW, this offer is open to anyone.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:14 AM
obrien135

Default Reporting back

I thanks for the offer. I talked to my wife but she doesn't want to go or for me to go. Sorry about that. I appreciate the offer. Really can't beat that for an offer. Thank you for trying. I'm sorry about all that repeated postings about the same subject over the months or years I guess I forgot about the original ones and I've been mulling this over in my mind for a long time haven't had a plane in about a year but I've still been thinking about it. I know that instruction is on the way to go. Because of the dangers of flying on my own. But it will have to wait till perhaps sometime in the future unless I find other activities that are more suitable for me and my present situation again thanks to offer their help and support I wish you all well happy flying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.