Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help getting a magister up and running

Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help getting a magister up and running

Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 AM
Jsbain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Help getting a magister up and running

My neighbor left his Multiplex Magister on the curb when he moved out. I'm interested in trying to get it working again, at minimal expense at first -- I've seen posts describing upgrades to the motor and power system, but for now I'd like to just see if it flies.

The plane appears to be mostly in the stock config: 12x8 APC prop (3:1) on a Permax 680 motor, 8.4V.
The stock plane came with an 8C NiMh battery (3000 mAH) and a 30A ESC; however it appears the previous owner swapped the ESC to a RipMax Xtra Air 25A, and was using LiPo (based on the jumper settings). However, the batteries and receiver are missing.

My questions:
1) As near as I can understand MotoCalc, it suggests the current at max throttle will be about 28A with 2LiPo (and 44A with 3 LiPo -- so presumably the old owner was using 2LiPo with this ESC...). Given that the ESC is rated to 25A continuous, is that still an okay combo, or do I need to upgrade the ESC? I guess I don't understand how often one is using full throttle with this sort of trainer.

2) For beginning, should I stick with 2LiPo?

3) Can anyone recommend a decent 4 channel receiver /transmitter pair?
Thanks!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I'd stick with a 2 cell lipo. You'll probably be fine with one around the 2500-3000 mah range.
Frsky makes a cheap but reliable 4 channel radio.

That's the easy part of your situation.

The hard part is the piloting skills. An instructor will save you countless hours of aggravation trying to do it yourself. Do some searching on www.modelaircraft.org to see if there are some pilots or clubs near you. Get some instruction on how to fly and also flight safety. The other benefit is that you'll have a chance for an experienced pilot to look over your plane to see if anything is wrong structurally.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just tried that website and found it doesn't list every club. I know of two clubs within 30-45 minutes of my house that didn't show up when I put in the cities they are in. In fact, it only gave me ONE club in my area at all and that is a free flight club