Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

dihedral wing vs 4 ch

Old 05-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After taking 8 hours to think about it, I'm done with trying to help people. When others challenge my ability to offer sound advice because I don't fly the same way they do, it's just not worth it.
Thanks Speed, for showing me the error in my ways. I'll stick with something I obviously know, and that's boats. I've been building and racing them since 1982 so, just maybe, I might be able to help people in that hobby since I obviously don't know enough to help anyone in this one.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by obrien135 View Post
I do ask some clueless questions, sorry about that. That's because most of the time I am clueless about the sport and I want to learn as much as I can about it. When it was an engineer I asked a lot of questions like that too and it used to really kick people off. But I appreciate the response has it's very informative thank you very much
obien135, I`m not trying to be a jerk and suggest you are "clueless". From your history here it looks like you have been involved with the hobby for a long time. Heck, you`ve been a member here 4 years longer than I have. It appears as though you have little flying experience. A lot of knowledge can be gained just by getting out there and doing it. Have you not gotten a high wing trainer plane, be it balsa, foam or whatever and had an instructor or someone with experience gotten you up flying? My apologies if your situation makes any instruction unavailable to you.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 AM
obrien135

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Yes I have tried them

I've been trying for about 25 years to fly RC airplanes I'm only able to fly in the safe mode I don't know what the problem is I used to get out there constantly but this past year I've been away I'm trying to get back into work I'm trying to get a simulator but I don't know if it'll helpR
Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You may be overthinking things a bit. Usually anything that is commercially available will fly just fine. The best thing you could do is to hook up with an accomplished pilot and get some assistance. Unfortunately there is only so much help we can give you online. Joining a local club may be a good idea.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM
obrien135

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okay thanks
Old 07-06-2019, 12:28 PM
cyclops2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Obrien !! You are my genetic brother.
I rebuild excellently. Piloting sucks.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:00 PM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by obrien135 View Post
I've been trying for about 25 years to fly RC airplanes I'm only able to fly in the safe mode I don't know what the problem is I used to get out there constantly but this past year I've been away I'm trying to get back into work I'm trying to get a simulator but I don't know if it'll helpR
I realize that you are a 6 hour drive away from me, but if possible, if you are able, it would be well worth the trip. I have trainers ready to fly and you can fly for several hours within a couple of days or on the same day. I can guarantee that you will learn how to take off, fly very confidently within a couple of hours. You can bring your trainer and fly my LT-40 and Sig Senior. The only cost will be travel and lodging. You will be surprised at how much you can learn in a very short time frame. I've had this standing offer for anyone for many years. This year I've had 3 people take me up on it. They are now very skilled RC pilots. Just trying to give back as I've heard of many beginners not being able to receive much help from their club.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

obrian135- The issue could be the plane you are flying. If it's a 3 channel plane with SAFE mode, it's a light foamy. If there is any significant wind at all, a plane like is going to do enough weird things to discombobulate any novice pilot. For example, I was flying my mini Telemaster last week in 10 mph wind. In a crosswind coming from the right, the plane would not turn left immediately. It would weathervane to the right while rolling to the left, which made rudder inputs ineffective. I knew what was happening, but even with experience it was a pucker moment as I wondered if I had lost control.
To give a straight answer to your original question, yes ailerons can be added to a wing with dihedral. They will improve windy day handling as you'll be able to hold the wing where you need it in a crosswind and be able to correct a roll error without changing directions. Yes, dihedral does resist rolling a bit, but for a trainer that's a good thing.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 AM
Appowner
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

obrian135 - I hope you're getting some help. However, I have seen people who simply do not get it when it comes to flying RC. Not saying you're one but I think you've already raised the possibility.

But that said, when learning to fly you need to do a lot of flying in a short amount of time. You need someone there who can point out your mistakes and bad habits and help you correct them. And occasionally save your plane for you. You have to immerse yourself for whatever time it takes to solo with confidence. After that you need to practice at least weekly for a season to build on your skills so that come next season, you've not lost the touch.

Some claim you should know where the advice comes from. I come from an aviation family so I grew up with airplanes spending my youth at the local airport. I have been flying RC since 1968 and building flying models since the late 50's. By no means am I the most experienced here. And in some areas of the hobby I could be considered less experienced. But I do know airplanes, both model and full size. And I know what works. Not saying my solutions are the only ones but mine are time tested. Take it for what you will.

As for the Dihedral and the Piper Cherokee. The Cherokee has 7 degrees of dihedral under EACH wing. If it didn't, being a low wing it would float down the longest runways on a cushion of air without ever touching down. At least smoothly and properly. IOW the pilot would have to plant the airplane on the runway and that gets expensive in replacement landing gear, wing spars and such. And that's just one thing the dihedral does for it. The dihedral actually spills the cushion of air out from under the wing in a controlled and directed manner. Our models can experience this as well but it's more often due to low wing loading than being a low wing. I've actually added weight to a model not to adjust the CG, but to make it fly better.