Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

new flyer here! looking for advice on fixing up this air plane.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

new flyer here! looking for advice on fixing up this air plane.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 AM
mark20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new flyer here! looking for advice on fixing up this air plane.

hi!

ive been on this forum for a while, but ive had life in the way and i couldnt afford rc airplanes at the time.
but recently one of my buddys dad gave me this typhoon 3d air plane,
it has a couple of problems with it.
1. the right wing is chewed up bad.
2. the inboard gear reducer is not working the best (the spur gear si slipping on the shaft, its not stripped at the teeth just at the shaft)
3. im a complete begginner, like, ive never touched a airplane let alone fly one, so any advice is helpful!
4. i am woundering if i could put on tundra tires on it. (i know, its a 3d airplane, but whatever, i want to have a bit of beginner fun!)

ill post pictures later when i get home.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
If it's the Horizon Hobbies Tyfoon airplane , made out of foam I would suggest that you get a more suitable plane to start with. A 3D type of plane is too "hot" for a newbie!
Get a large high winged plane instead.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 AM
mark20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
If it's the Horizon Hobbies Tyfoon airplane , made out of foam I would suggest that you get a more suitable plane to start with. A 3D type of plane is too "hot" for a newbie!
Get a large high winged plane instead.
its a parkzone typhoon plane (so yea a 3d plane)

i have flown it for about 10 seconds. before i crashed
so theres my flight time lol

this one feels like a nice plane, its not too powrful (its a 380 sized in-board motor with a gear reducer)

my controller has a short throw and a high throw setting, im currently on short throw

i dont really want to get a new plane as this one is free
(any cheap diy kits out there? i might go with the flight test simple cub, and just transfer the parts)
Old 05-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark20
its a parkzone typhoon plane (so yea a 3d plane)

i have flown it for about 10 seconds. before i crashed
so theres my flight time lol

this one feels like a nice plane, its not too powrful (its a 380 sized in-board motor with a gear reducer)

my controller has a short throw and a high throw setting, im currently on short throw

i dont really want to get a new plane as this one is free
(any cheap diy kits out there? i might go with the flight test simple cub, and just transfer the parts)
I`ll give you this plane that I got for free and refurbished. All you need is a receiver and shipping.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Stickslammer has made a you a good offer.
The problems with your plane aren't just related to the hot control throws. It's the whole aerodynamic design of the plane. It's made to be neutral handling and aerodynamically unstable. 3D planes are a lot of fun in the right hands, but you don't have those yet.

So I'm going to ask- how serious are you about starting in this hobby? It can be done cheaply if you are patient, as you have seen in the Flight Test articles and videos. You don't get the best or easiest planes to fly that way, but you can get in the air. The truth is though that there will be an ongoing cost as you grow and wear out equipment. So if this is a whim just because someone gave you a plane, consider committing a bit more and putting a budget together so you can really enjoy what this hobby has to offer.