Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need a Kit, have motor, servos, receiver, esc, and transmitter.

Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need a Kit, have motor, servos, receiver, esc, and transmitter.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM
SalocinM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need a Kit, have motor, servos, receiver, esc, and transmitter.

Hey guys. I'm not terribly new to flying, I used to have the super cub S and I had the E-Flite DHC Beaver. I crashed the beaver a while back but all the parts work fine.

I was looking into a 4 or 5ch airframe I can donate the parts to. I want something that's eat and casual to fly, can have floats, is a decent size, and isn't prohibitively expensive. I would also need a battery and charger.

Someone suggested the Flite-Test Cub and their floats. Would this be a good kit? Also would I be better off building it? If so what materials would I need, and where would be the best place to purchase them?

I'm no stranger to building things either, I've helped my girlfriend with almost every architecture studio assignment with modelling and plans, and have also built many model cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An Ugly Stick type plane is great if you can already take off and land. I'm sure Flite Test has a version of that classic design.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by SalocinM View Post
Also would I be better off building it? If so what materials would I need, and where would be the best place to purchase them?

I'm no stranger to building things either, I've helped my girlfriend with almost every architecture studio assignment with modelling and plans, and have also built many model cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Okay, I'm going to agree with Jester's recommendation of an Ugly Stick. A stick is, relatively speaking, an easy plane to build either from a kit or from plans. It would actually be fairly easy to mount floats to one as well.
With that said, building architectural and car models will only be of limited help when building an airplane. Where they will help you is that fact that you can read plans. Unlike an architectural model, where some parts of the structure are load bearing and others aren't, all parts of an aircraft bear a load of some sort. How much extra bracing you add or glue you use can also be an issue as the plane needs to balance, both along the length of the fuselage and across the wingspan. it also needs to be built as light as possible to make it fly, rather than just wallow around in the air. As far as materials needed, you will need the following:
  • Aircraft grade plywood of the appropriate thicknesses, normally listed on the plans. Home Center plywood won't work as it has voids, inconsistent gluing between layers and too few layers to have the required strength
  • Lite Ply of the appropriate thicknesses, again listed on the plans.
  • Balsa sheets of the appropriate thicknesses and widths. I normally like to buy mine a bit wider, in case the pieces are not straight, so I can square up the edges as needed
  • Wood, CA and epoxy glues. All have applications where they are needed in a build
  • Tools, if you don't them already. These will include clamps, razor saws, Exacto knives, squares, clamping blocks, sanding blocks, drill and bits, heat gun and covering tools as well as the always handy Dremel Tool with it's various accessories. I'm sure others have tools they can't live without since I know I do as well, too many to be listed here.
  • Covering of the desired colors
  • Radio gear as desired
This is a basic list, there is more that you will need to pick up over the course of the build. I didn't include the obvious things like landing gear, motor, props, spinner, etc, since you indicated you already have most of it.
As far as where to get these materials, I would start at a local hobby shop, if you have one in your area. Other places you can find materials include:
Balsa USA Shop - Balsa USA
Tower Hobbies https://www.towerhobbies.com/
Hobby Lobby
Local craft supply houses

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-30-2019 at 06:32 AM.