Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Noob questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 03:52 PM
JayAreJr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob questions

Hello All,

First time caller, first thread ever and actually only my third post on a forum ever. So I am looking to get into the hobby and this site has been a great motivator for getting in.
I got the itch about 15 yrs ago, but always thought of it as too expensive and even too complicated to get into as a hobby. With the recent events I've had a lot of free time and found this website.
I have looked at quite a few build threads and feel like I have learned a lot. So I have decided to give a go.
I am going to start with a Sig Kadet LT-40 that I picked up from my lhs. I haven't decided yet, whether I will use electric or ic, so that leads me to my first question. If I enjoy this and I think I will, I would like to go ic when I get into larger or scale aircraft.
However I would like to start with a gas engine.
Could someone suggest a gas engine that might work well with the kadet, if there is one.

Also I have a spektrum dx7, the original dsm2 model. Will this work with today's spektrum receivers.And if so any suggestions for a new battery that will work with this radio.

I'm starting my build pretty soon, so I am sure there will be questions soon.
Thanks All!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:20 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

First off welcome aboard. You will find that this hobby can be quite rewarding but do expect a little frustration from time to time. So let's dive into your questions.

First off the Kadet is a fine place to start. There are a few options with the build but the one I would like to point out first is the option to build as a 3 or 4 channel. I highly suggest the 4 channel option which would be equipping it with ailerons. Going one step farther I would suggest building it with dual aileron servos, one servo operating each aileron. This not only gives you a more mechanically solid linkage but opens the door to adjustments that aren't possible with a single servo setup or at bare minimum is much more difficult to achieve. Your DX7 is fully capable of this feature.

While on the subject of your DX7, it has been many years since I have flown Spektrum so I can't really help out much on RX compatibility. I can however alert you to some 3rd party receivers that you will find with some research that I advise against using. I highly recommend sticking with OEM receivers even if you need to buy them on the per owned market. As far as batteries are concerned, 6.6V LiFe batteries have pretty much become the standard. They do require a charger that can be set to that type of battery but you can also select your charge rate up to 1 capacity. In other words if you have a 1500mah battery ( a good size for a Kadet ) you can safely charge at a 1.5 amp rate.

Gasoline engines, I personally don't recommend them anything smaller then 20cc. Reason being is that they still require 20% oil ( bushed connecting rods ) and I have yet to see one that I thought ran as well as a glow engine of the same size. That does not mean that I exoect the same power output as gasoline does not put out the same power as glow but I have yet to see one that is as reliable and throttles as well. You also have an ignition system the will spew RF if the spark plug cap is not installed correctly which has been a huge issue with the 1/4" spark plugs.

Don't hesitate to fire more questions at us.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:52 PM
JayAreJr

Thanks speedracer! I hadn't found many gas engines smaller than 20cc so figured there was a reason for that. I will most likely end up going electric as it is where i was leaning in the first place. I will definitely be going with ailerons with this build and have seen others due the dual ailerons on other builds in this forum.. How do you think it might be for a complete noob to make this adjustment on their first build. I do like the idea of the options this gives me.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:37 PM
speedracerntrixie

The big advantage to dual aileron servos is being able to add just the correct amount of differential travel to eliminate adverse yaw. What happens is when aileron is applied the downward creates more drag than the upward and the airplane yaws opposite the bank direction. It also lets you dial in the travel between the two exactly the same, something that most guys don't do. Being honest these things aren't going to make huge differences on a Kadet but they will on future airplanes and IMO it's a good idea to start learning advanced setup/trimming techniques early do that you don't develop piloting skills based on a an airplane with poor charictaristics.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:05 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many people don't use the correct names. Nitro engines or glow plug engines. Not gas engines unless you mean large gasoline engines. I would not start with a Kadet unless you enjoy building. I would buy an electric pusher (Bixler?) and start flying. Or a big wheel high wing.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:06 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend joining a club and learning to fly with an instructor. If you're going that way, an LT-40 would be fine, provided your instructor can use a buddy box with your radio, or if the club has its own trainers you can learn to fly on. If you're planning on learning on your own, an LT-40 is a poor choice; the chance that it won't survive its first flight is high. The odds that it won't last a year are about 100 to 1. A small, light electric plane would be much better.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but flying an RC model is not as easy as it looks.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:18 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

LT40 is a great trainer. But it is a plane that needs an instructor. There are some trainers out there that will self level and can keep you from crashing. I personally think learning with an instructor is a better option. There are some small gas engines out there. Valley View RC has a few for example. I don't have any time on a gas motor smaller than a 20cc so I can't speak to how they are to operate or the power. Electric is nice but also has a few drawbacks. For example., 4 flights in a row means 4 battery packs. You can quick charge them at the field but it is hard on the packs. The charger is another thing. Plane on spending $100-$200 on a good charger. As you can tell I'm not a huge fan of electric but I admit they do have there place.
I'm going to encourage you to join a club and find help. Many many people have tried to do it on their own only to get frustrated and quit.

david
Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 AM
JayAreJr

Originally Posted by wnewbury
Many people don't use the correct names. Nitro engines or glow plug engines. Not gas engines unless you mean large gasoline engines. I would not start with a Kadet unless you enjoy building. I would buy an electric pusher (Bixler?) and start flying. Or a big wheel high wing.
Hey wnew , Thanks for the response! I am sure I am saying it wrong, so this is something I will need help with as well. So when I first looked into this, I had planned to use the o.s nitro .46. I am familiar with rc car nitro engines as I have a traxxas slayer. However after doing more research I found that there were rc airplane engines that use gas with oil , like a chainsaw. so these are what i mean by gas engines. Please let me know if I am getting this wrong as I am confused on the terminology.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:16 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wnewbury
Wow. Instant gratification generation? Not all gas engines are large. There are gas engines as small as 9cc - that's basically a .60 which is just fine for a Kadet. And starting with a kit is much better in many people's opinion because learning to build gives both a sense of accomplishment as well as learning how to rebuild after the inevitable crash. Some of us don't want to start learning to fly with very light, wind susceptible foamies. I started with a PT-40 and also used an Easy Fly 40 ARF - I would never use a Bixler to learn to fly. Learning requires air time and unless you live in very still air that means getting used to wind. And that means at least 5 pounds or more and 40 size or larger plane.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM
JayAreJr

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I'd recommend joining a club and learning to fly with an instructor. If you're going that way, an LT-40 would be fine, provided your instructor can use a buddy box with your radio, or if the club has its own trainers you can learn to fly on. If you're planning on learning on your own, an LT-40 is a poor choice; the chance that it won't survive its first flight is high. The odds that it won't last a year are about 100 to 1. A small, light electric plane would be much better.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but flying an RC model is not as easy as it looks.
Hey Top, Thanks for the response! One of the things I have learned from this site is to start with a club and I will take that advice before I put that. I actually found one while picking up my lt40 that's pretty close to my house. The problem is their first year admission is 400 dollars, plus they go by calendar year. So membership ends 12/31 no matter when you start. So I currently don't plan to join til January. Now when I first started looking into this I did look at a couple of e-flite models. Would the Timber 1.2 be a good choice to start with or maybe even the Carbon Z cessna. Im thinking with the carbon Z cessna I could learn on it and then use those electronics on the lt40. Let me know what you think,
Old 07-02-2020, 08:42 AM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by JayAreJr
Hey Top, Thanks for the response! One of the things I have learned from this site is to start with a club and I will take that advice before I put that. I actually found one while picking up my lt40 that's pretty close to my house. The problem is their first year admission is 400 dollars, plus they go by calendar year. So membership ends 12/31 no matter when you start. So I currently don't plan to join til January. Now when I first started looking into this I did look at a couple of e-flite models. Would the Timber 1.2 be a good choice to start with or maybe even the Carbon Z cessna. Im thinking with the carbon Z cessna I could learn on it and then use those electronics on the lt40. Let me know what you think,
I don't know enough about what's available in small electric models to advise you about that, but I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions. $400 strikes me as fantastic, but then I live in a very low cost of living state, for which I am grateful (and not just because of the financial stuff). I'm sure that in some places getting and keeping a flying field is much more expensive than here. My club will teach people to fly before they join the club, though we do require AMA membership.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:38 PM
JayAreJr

Hello everyone,

So gotta say great site again and thank everyone for their responses. Just wanted to give a little more on my background into getting into the hobby.
Like I say, thought about it about 15 years ago, when I took my father to an rc airplane airshow. There were mostly large scale jets, and they had my favorite of all time. The F-14 Tomcat. This guy had it decked out with the turbines and after burner lights. We were both amazed! Then I found out the cost of one, there goes my dream.
During this pandemic, been watching alot of youtube and found the freewing f14. Almost pulled the trigger when I found this site and found the right process into being successful in this hobby.
Which i believe now is start with a trainer, join a club and learn from an experienced flyer. So thats where I am at.
My second favorite plane is the f4u corsair and when I found this site I read a couple of build threads on it and I was hooked.
So my overall goal is to build a corsair or maybe a tf corsair if i can get one at a decent price or evan a ziroli or brian taylor corsair. The building part of this hobby is actually what intrigues me the most. To be able to take a pile of wood and turn it into something that actually flies is just mind boggling to me.
I would like for my progression to be the LT40, I actually got a good deal on a kadet sr on ebay, so that would be next along with adding ailorons, flaps(l know they are not needed , but I think it will help in learning to build and fly), the 4 star 60, a reno racer I found on outerzone and then hopefully I will be ready for the corsair.
With that being said, I will be starting my LT-40 this weekend. I am still not sure what i will power it with, but i think it will take me a couple of months to build so I have that time to think about it. Thanks again all!
Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I like what I'm reading, EXCEPT you will need your engine BEFORE you can install the firewall.
The reason for this is that engines have varying widths so you will need to find out how wide your engine mounts need to be spaced and drill the firewall accordingly. This is much easier to do before you install the firewall and, if you make a mistake, it's easier to make a new part before the original is glued in. That said, build up the wings first and, while you're working on that, think about your power plant. Something else to consider is what prop you want to use. Props vary in length and pitch, meaning they will have the plane react differently to throttle changes. This is something an instructor can help you with as well.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-02-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:41 PM
speedracerntrixie

Yes it would be nice to pre drill the firewall for the engine/motor mount but the LT has great firewall access after the build so it's really not a big deal. Provided the glow engine and electric motor are comparable power output the difference in props would also be negligible. The big difference there is that electric has instant torque so acceleration may seem to be faster, a throttle curve solves that if nessesary.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:39 AM
JayAreJr

When I first purchased my kadet , I figured I would power it with an os 46axii or the eflite 46. Those 2 seem like the most recommended on this site for this size trainer. I then found out about gas engines(hope I am saying that correctly) like the dle 20ra. while I think the dle would be too much power for the lt. it prompted my original question of is there a smaller gas option. I see saito's fg11 , still bigger than what sig recommends , but not by much. Would this one be too much and are 4 cycle gas engines maybe too much for a beginner?
Old 07-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I built a Sig Kadet Mark II to learn on...joined a club and the instructor taught me on a Timber. You will get a rush when you fly that LT-40. Something about building something and then flying it never gets old.
I was actually given a LT-40 that was all beat up and I repaired it(it came with a 40 size nitro engine) and took it to the field. My instructor flew it first to make sure it was dialed in....got up in the air and the engine died.
To make a long story short....that thing floated around like a glider and he did a perfect landing. He actually landed it twice that day with a dead engine. It now runs great and is a great beginner plane. You will love landing it(very easy).
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Welcome to the hobby. To address the gas/glow question: OS makes a quality 10cc gas engine that would power your LT40 well. However, it weighs significantly more than the OS .46 AX for about the same power output. In addition, gas carburetors are a bit more complicated to work on when something goes wrong. They are not impossible for a beginner, just a bit more to deal with. To my mind, the gas engines below 20cc are for the guys who mostly fly larger planes and are set up for gas already and want to stick with the same fuel for everything. The most practical choice for wet power is still glow fuel.

I'm a little confused about your plane choice: Do you have a Sig LT40 or a Sig Kadet Senior? The LT40 is an ARF, already assembled from the factory, while the Kadet is a kit. Your end result is pretty similar, but you don't need kit building advice if you are putting together an LT40.

I'll second the advice to go with dual aileron servos. Use mini servos like the Hitec 225BB. That will simplify installation and save you a little bit of weight. Actually, the 225BB servos are fine for everything in your plane, although a standard size like the Hitec 425 or Futaba 3004 are the traditional choice and still work as well as they ever did.

On your radio question- Spektrum receivers are backwards compatible, so new ones will work fine with your old radio. Make sure to do a thorough range check, engine off first and then with the engine running, to make sure you have good control.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:28 AM
Top_Gunn

Originally Posted by jester_s1

I'm a little confused about your plane choice: Do you have a Sig LT40 or a Sig Kadet Senior? The LT40 is an ARF, already assembled from the factory, while the Kadet is a kit. Your end result is pretty similar, but you don't need kit building advice if you are putting together an LT40....
Sig's web site still shows an LT40 kit.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:12 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmm. I learn something every day. So I guess my question is answered then.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:47 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Give me a MK II over the LT40. To me, it's a better looking plane and a bit more of a challenge. Then again, I don't see the point of having the side panels extend beyond the firewall for no reason, other than trying to make it look like it's an enclosed engine bay