Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

AirCore 40 Trainer Revival Project

Old 07-12-2019, 05:56 AM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AirCore 40 Trainer Revival Project

I recently picked up this plane along with three others. It has been sitting for at least a decade and of course the engine was locked up. I managed to get the engine to free by flooding it with fuel and letting it soak overnight. However, the carb barrel is still frozen. I would normally just remove the engine from the plane but this plane is built so that getting to anything is nearly impossible. If I could unscrew the front wheel horn I could slide out the tray that the engine and fuel tank sit in. However,I don't see how since there is no access. Any ideas here

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010655.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2264769

Name:	P1010656.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2264770

Name:	P1010657.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	2264771

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-12-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM
fliers1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

2 possible ways to loosen up the carb. If you have a heat gun you can heat up the carb to loosen it. Or, very carefully use a hand torch.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 AM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I should have mentioned that I can not get access to the two screws that hold the carb in place due to the front fuselage ends being in the way.

Name:	P1010659.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2264772

These planes were built using an unusual cardboard-like material and the whole thing is basically glued together. In typical balsa trainers there are front canopy covers that are removable and allow easy access to things. The concept behind these AirCore models was having the engine, fuel tank, and servos in a slide-out tray on rails that you could transfer between models. The problem is that without unscrewing the front wheel control horn I can not slide out the tray. I can not unscrew the wheel hrom because there is no access without destroying the windshield part of the aircraft. What a pain. To even get the receiver battery out of the plane I had to pry open the bottom fold under the fuselage as it was nested between the bottom and the aforementioned tray.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-12-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You won't like this answer, but this plane is hardly worth putting effort into to save, especially if it's just preserving the cosmetics. Poke some holes if you have to. You can put colored tape over them afterward if it bothers you.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 PM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
You won't like this answer, but this plane is hardly worth putting effort into to save, especially if it's just preserving the cosmetics. Poke some holes if you have to. You can put colored tape over them afterward if it bothers you.
I think that's what I will probably have to do. First time I've come across an unserviceable plane, LOL. It would be like building a car with no hood. I bought it because I have not flown in two years and need to brush up on my skills. If I wreck this I won't care. I just need the flight time. That's if I even manage to get it running.

BTW, the landing gear is supposed to be glued to the fuselage. ***? I have the construction manual and nowhere in it is the CG for this model. A goofball of a plane, that's for sure.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:28 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You might free up the carb with penetrating oil (like Liquid Wrench) or WD-40.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:45 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've refurbished a lot of gummed up engines. Get it out of the plane, the take off the carb, glow plug, and backplate. Soak it in fuel for a few hours, and see what has freed up. Turn everything that will a few times to loosen up the varnish, then soak for the rest of the day.
After that, you'll be able to evaluate the bearings. If the crank spins freely and there isn't any roughness or notchy spots, your bearings are fine. If there is, soak in another day while spinning the crank every few hours to see if it improves.
Use a thinned toothpick to clean out the fuel inlet and spraybar.
Put all new O rings and gaskets wherever they are needed. I've used regular copy paper to make backplate gaskets before. I've never had one fail. Gasket maker works too. Don't skimp on the O rings though.
You can often save the glow plug by soaking it and swishing it around then applying glow driver heat to burn off the contaminants and soaking again. You might as well do it while you're doing the engine. It's $7 you don't have to spend if it works.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:39 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The durability of the Aicore's was from the Coroplast material it was made from And tthey were quite durable surviving horrendous crashes, This however was at a price and that was weight, The performance loss compared to common trainers of the time was reduced somewhat by using a higher aspect ratio wing (wingspan divided by wing chord).

The airplane was not an arf but instead a kit, Just a box of flat preprinted sheets that you folded at the lines and glued with plastic solvent.

The engine, fuel tank, battery, receiver and three fuselage servo's were all mounted to a giant chunk of plywood that would slide out in plastic channels as you noted. To remove the tray rudder and elevator clevis' were removedas well as the nosewheel that you mentioned. There was a small screw on each side just at or beside the engne that secured to ply tray to the plastic rails. Now it was not unknown for some folks to simply glue the ply permanently to the rails. If that's the case you are SOL and to gain access you will have to fabricate various access panels.

The airplane is a nice flyer and I did train a few with them but it will use more runway than others and it will snap roll off the ground if forced off too soon. Do not be tempted to use an oversized engine (anything over .46) as it will turn into a flying monstrosity, very unpleasant.

Balance it no further aft than quarter chord or the results will agine be very unpleasant. .

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 07-13-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:11 AM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The carb is currently getting a WD-40 soaking. John, the construction manual says to use contact cement to adhere the Coroplast. Can I use epoxy as that is what I have.

Between this model and the Duraplane which one do you think was more durable?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure you can try to use the model epoxys and may get some service out of it,. Adhesion has always been the downfall of "Corroplast". The one epoxy that I do know of that would work is BVM Aeropoxy but of course the astronomical price tag for this product rules it out in this case.

A direct comparison between the Aircore and the Duraplane's durability is impossible. However the aircore is a far better flyer than the Duraplane or similar coroplast combat planes.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 07-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:03 AM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I made some progress. This is how I freed up the carb and the WD-40 definitely helped too.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-14-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:11 AM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now on to the radio dilemma. The plane came with an old Airtronics Vanguard system which I don't know if it is in working order. I don't think I should spend thirty dollars worth of new batteries to find out it doesn't.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not the kind of RC system I would care to invest any money in, a not particularly high quality "one airplane/one transmitter" system of 35 years ago. Even though yes it may still be legal Its time you invest in a system you can grow with. Something you cannot do with one like this. or a whole bunch like this.

John
Old 07-14-2019, 01:29 PM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You're throwing good money and effort after bad, my friend. If you really want a coroplast plane, yank the engine and refurbish it right, then go to the SPAD forum and get planes for the Debonair. You will likely be able to use the wing from your Aircore. It's probably take you 2 hours to make a new fuselage that will be lighter than the one you have now.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:24 PM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a JR X6102 transmitter that I like a lot. Here's the problem:

1) The spare R700 RX I have decided to stop working.

2) Even if I get it to work or get another R700 I will have to replace the servos in the plane because, of course, the connectors don't fit into the newer JR receiver. Thankfully, I have Futaba servos that work with my R700.

3) Saving this old radio is not a bad idea because I can sell the complete plane down the road. Some guys look for complete running trainers to get into the hobby. I know, as I have sold them before. If I replace the servos and RX with the JR equipment it will be a tougher sell. For a beginner these old 72mhz radios are fine. The one in the original trainer was even more simple than this. It was a basic 4 channel, this one at least has 6 channels.

4) I have no way to test the Airtronics TX or RX because they have different connectors than the batteries in my JR stuff.

I don't care about the Coroplast construction. Rather, I just needed a trainer and bought this in a bundle deal. I should have kept looking for a traditional balsa trainer but it's too late now. I have get this rig up and running somehow.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Stickslammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I`m with you on working with what you`ve got in order to get up and flying asap, as long as you`re not putting yourself or anyone else at risk, or spending too much on it. You might try to find one of those plastic holders that you can load with regular alkalines just to see if that old radio system will work.