Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Evolution 33cc gas engine

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Evolution 33cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution 33cc gas engine

For the life of me I have searched high and low and I still can't find the hp rating for the Evolution 33cc gas engine. Does any one know and, are these engines any good.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 33

Had one,didn't like the set up on it. Get a DLE35RA. I've got three on P51 Mustangs .18 10. Run great.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Truthfully, horsepower ratings don't tell you much. They are usually taken at a higher RPM than you can turn with a realistic prop. A much better indicator of engine performance is actual tachometer readings taken with realistic props. The Tachometer Readings forum has a lot of that data. I'll agree on the DLE engines in general. They are a great value.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:24 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A DLE 35 RA is a good engine but there are other good engine choices and some reasons to pick various others. For example, if noise is a consideration the Evolution 33 is quieter. It was a better choice for me in a retrofit where beam mounts existed.as the Evolution offers dual mounting choice. With its front carb, it might provide a shorter thrust washer dimension... though I'm not sure on that.

Both mine and the other in the local club run rich in mid range but neither of us has experienced any plug fouling problems from it.

Last, I was limited to an 18" prop and the Evo 33 could be propped down to an 18, possibly because of rotary valve compared to reed valve. I'm thus thinking it will spin more rpms happier with a smaller prop.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Having had both, the EVO has less to offer over the DLE 35 ra. It seriously lacks power when side by side. Mine went down the road fast.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 AM
jester_s1

Well if the Evolution is made to be a high RPM engine (IDK if that's the case, but rotary valve induction is normally meant for that), it's going to be low on torque for the bigger props.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:50 AM
AA5BY

The largest prop recommended for the Evo is a 18x8 so it is not designed to run huge props. That can be a good thing, as the plane mine is fitted can't handle more than an 18" prop and the plane has unlimited vertical with the 33 at a good bit less than full power. And... a DLE-35 wouldn't fit in it.

The point that I made or was trying to make was that when choosing an engine, it is not always about which has more performance? The OP asked if the engine was any good... and got answers that it wasn't based on power comparisons with a DLE-35. My answer was that it was good based on my experience with the engine, and that it had fulfilled my needs to a tee. In fact, I've only had one model engine that wasn't any good for me, that was a YS-120 and others no doubt loved the engine.

I'm somewhat left wondering why DLE-35 came into the the thread discussion, though I do understand that the 33 isn't any good for some pilots, because there was something else with the same weight and more power.

Last edited by AA5BY; 07-08-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by AA5BY
The largest prop recommended for the Evo is a 18x8 so it is not designed to run huge props. That can be a good thing, as the plane mine is fitted can't handle more than an 18" prop and the plane has unlimited vertical with the 33 at a good bit less than full power. And... a DLE-35 wouldn't fit in it.

The point that I made or was trying to make was that when choosing an engine, it is not always about which has more performance? The OP asked if the engine was any good... and got answers that it wasn't based on power comparisons with a DLE-35. My answer was that it was good based on my experience with the engine, and that it had fulfilled my needs to a tee. In fact, I've only had one model engine that wasn't any good for me, that was a YS-120 and others no doubt loved the engine.

I'm somewhat left wondering why DLE-35 came into the the thread discussion, though I do understand that the 33 isn't any good for some pilots, because there was something else with the same weight and more power.
This is a subject that most don't understand. Engines come in two varieties, torque and speed. When I see a "kid" running down the road in a lowered and "glasspacked" Honda, revving the crap out of it with, right behind him, a guy in a raised truck with a loping bigblock, I just shake my head. Neither one of them realize that the way they are using their engine is going to destroy it.
Aircraft engines are the same way. Running a speed engine with too much prop/load or a torque engine too little prop/load will damage or destroy it
Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 PM
smr2ley

OK so the question started with WHATS THE HP OF THE EVILUTION 33 ?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It it was correctly answered. Even if they published it it wouldn't matter because unless you were comparing two engines from the same brand that were tested for HP the same way (assuming its not a good guess) then you're comparing apples to oranges.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:28 PM
smr2ley

I dispute that there was no answer.
OK - Ive got 2 Evolution motors, a 26GX and a 33GX.
The 26GX in my plane weighing 10kg is sluggish as hell on the recommended 18x6 prop., the motor is rated 3.8HP.
I am installing the new 33GX I have found, just waiting for somebody to make me another part for it.
GO......

Last edited by smr2ley; 10-27-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelinge
Old 10-27-2018, 01:34 AM
r ward

I have to agree with smr2ley,....there was no answer given despite a couple of this forum's "experts" claiming there was. the question posted is quite clear,...."what is the HP rating of a Evolution 33cc engine ? ",..... I see no specific number that answers this question in any post. i'm sure there is an answer,.... but sometimes,....some people simply need to see themselves answer a question despite the answer not being pertinent to any question asked.
this is one of my pet peeves about people who are "self proclaimed experts", on these forums. they are constantly throwing out answers that are for questions that were not asked just to see their post count go up.
I guess that's what makes an "expert" these days...........
Old 10-27-2018, 03:46 PM
smr2ley

Originally Posted by AA5BY
I'm somewhat left wondering why DLE-35 came into the the thread discussion
YEAH - it's where I came in.
I found it, on an ENGLISH SITE, Slough RC Models.
Results 1 - 19 of 19 - Power Output: 4.1 hp @ 8,500 rpm. Practical .... If you enjoy flying large and popular 30cc class of planes, the Evolution 33GX is your choice.

Last edited by smr2ley; 10-27-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: English site gave the answer!
Old 10-28-2018, 11:46 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO before a realistic answer can be given one has to consider what the application is. Sure it would be easy just to do a search and find a HP claim. In most cases it is an exaggerated claim anyways. I think most posters in this thread have gone one step farther and have given thought to suitability. An engine and prop requirements will be different if the intended airplane is a Cub as compared to a Warbird or an aerobatic model or even a Cessna. Another consideration will be available mufflers and how well the engine/muffler combination will fit the intended airplane. Much more to consider then just HP ratings
Old 10-29-2018, 05:53 AM
smr2ley

I have to salute the reply from R Ward. He got it dead right.
The replies that came were totally inappropriate, about other engines, unrelated matter, and total WAFFLE.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM
speedracerntrixie

We do tend to get a bit of that on these forums. Best you can do before accepting or rejecting anyone’s advise is look to see what their experience level is on the subject matter.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM
BarracudaHockey

True that, I hardly ever fool with gas engines and should probably keep my mouth shut
Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 PM
speedracerntrixie

LOL Andy, I think you would be the first guy I would go to if I encountered something I couldn’t figure out. Al Hicks would be on the short list too.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:34 PM
jester_s1

I think the above responses were very helpful. Just a peak HP number doesn't mean much on any engine. A torque/RPM line graph would be quite useful, but no manufacturers seem to be interested in providing those. What's also helpful is actual RPM numbers with a given prop and even more so is anecdotal evidence from people who've tried various engines in their planes. What we are really after is performance after all.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:18 PM
meowguy

Hi everyone, new Evo 33 user here. My motor is mounted on a Hangar9 PA18 Supercub. Head is pointing out right side of cowl. Has anyone worked out a way to manually turn the high end needle valve with the engine running. Looks pretty hairy to me. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Jim
Old 11-06-2018, 04:33 PM
BarracudaHockey

My advice, DON'T! If you like your fingers where they are anyways
Old 11-06-2018, 05:24 PM
speedracerntrixie

I agree, there is simply no good reason to ever adjust a gasoline engine while it is running. The best thing to do is get it running at factory settings and listen closely to what it is doing. While the engine is not running but warmed up, adjust so that you get a smooth transition to full throttle. Once you have a good reliable idle and transition to full throttle start flying the engine and take note what it is doing in the air. Most likely you will see that you are still a bit rich and the transition is a bit sluggish. If you get too lean on the low needle it will not want to transition. I adjust the low until I get the hesitation and open it up just enough to eliminate the hesitation or where it requires a short warm up to transition. I will usually sneak up on the high end over the course of several flights. If your engine is new you will notice the mixture richening up as things seat. After about 3 gallons you can get to the point where you will not have to make any more adjustments. Here is where guys go somewhat a stray. Once the needles are set and you have a nice low idle, good transition and good high end leave the needles alone! If you get out to the field and your well behaved engine is not cooperating, you have something wrong that needs to be fixed. It is not repeat NOT the needles. They do not move by themselves. Either you have some debris in the carb or an ignition related issue.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:25 AM
meowguy

Thanks for the replies. In other words, follow the instructions. Problem is the EVO instructions are having English as a second language problems.

Last edited by meowguy; 11-07-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:04 AM
crobara

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I agree, there is simply no good reason to ever adjust a gasoline engine while it is running. The best thing to do is get it running at factory settings and listen closely to what it is doing. While the engine is not running but warmed up, adjust so that you get a smooth transition to full throttle. Once you have a good reliable idle and transition to full throttle start flying the engine and take note what it is doing in the air. Most likely you will see that you are still a bit rich and the transition is a bit sluggish. If you get too lean on the low needle it will not want to transition. I adjust the low until I get the hesitation and open it up just enough to eliminate the hesitation or where it requires a short warm up to transition. I will usually sneak up on the high end over the course of several flights. If your engine is new you will notice the mixture richening up as things seat. After about 3 gallons you can get to the point where you will not have to make any more adjustments. Here is where guys go somewhat a stray. Once the needles are set and you have a nice low idle, good transition and good high end leave the needles alone! If you get out to the field and your well behaved engine is not cooperating, you have something wrong that needs to be fixed. It is not repeat NOT the needles. They do not move by themselves. Either you have some debris in the carb or an ignition related issue.
Great info. I am working with a Saito 14c gas engine and your info seems to apply to it as well. I have trouble getting sufficient rpm.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4.1 HP at 8500 rpm is one thing. But what prop was that with? I don't care what the HP is if it isn't swinging a prop that will move the airplane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.