Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

.40 Engine in Phoenix Sonic?

Old 09-02-2019, 04:59 PM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .40 Engine in Phoenix Sonic?

Anyone who has been following my other thread knows I have an O.S FP Max .40 engine from another plane that is underpowered for that airframe. Would it be advisable to put this engine in this aircraft even though the maximum recommended size is .32?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEWXD&P=0
Old 09-03-2019, 06:26 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post
Anyone who has been following my other thread knows I have an O.S FP Max .40 engine from another plane that is underpowered for that airframe. Would it be advisable to put this engine in this aircraft even though the maximum recommended size is .32?

52" of wing and right in the neighborhood of 4 pounds flying weight , In my opinion your O.S. .40 should fly it just fine

PS , this is coming from a guy who always goes slightly bigger on the suggested powerplant , within reason , of course
Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 AM
rgburrill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put a Tower 40 in a Uproar which also had a 32 size recommendation limit and it flew great. IFRC the FP is a sport engine and not very powerful, much like the Tower 40.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C View Post

I have an Evolution 40NX in my sonic and it flies quite fast. Make sure the fuel you use for the 40 FP has plenty of castor oil and try a 9X7 prop.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:47 PM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rcjetflyer0718-RCU View Post
I have an Evolution 40NX in my sonic and it flies quite fast. Make sure the fuel you use for the 40 FP has plenty of castor oil and try a 9X7 prop.
That is good to know. I usually run Wildcat Premium Plus which has 18% total oil. The prop that was on the plane when I bought it was an 11x6.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rcjetflyer0718-RCU View Post
Are you sure about using a 9X7?
I have a 25FP and the instruction book recommends using a 8X6, 9X5 or 9X6 so using a 9X7 sounds a bit small. I'd be looking at something in the lines of a 10X5 or 6.
18% oil would be fine for your 40FP. In fact, that's what I run in my boats, 18% oil with 50% nitro, never had an oil related problem. Then again, my boat engines run at 25K+ RPM so more oil is a good thing
Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

9x7 would be about the perfect load for an FP40 and be in its power band. I used to run 9x7 on OS 40 FSR and Webra Speed .40. That being said the 9x7 may not be the best prop for that airplane.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:57 PM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Are you sure about using a 9X7?
I have a 25FP and the instruction book recommends using a 8X6, 9X5 or 9X6 so using a 9X7 sounds a bit small. I'd be looking at something in the lines of a 10X5 or 6.
18% oil would be fine for your 40FP. In fact, that's what I run in my boats, 18% oil with 50% nitro, never had an oil related problem. Then again, my boat engines run at 25K+ RPM so more oil is a good thing
9X7 same load as 10X6 plus more ground clearance. Sleeve engines ( non ball bearing) require fuel with high amounts of castor oil, read the instructions if not they will overheat.