Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Mystery Plane Identification and Help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Mystery Plane Identification and Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mystery Plane Identification and Help

I picked this one up along with the AirCore I made another thread about. It doesn't have an engine or radio. Any clue what this one is? Also, what is going on with the wing lacking the movable aileron leading edges? How do I fix this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010661.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	2264776
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010662.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	2264777

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-12-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Looks like a Sig Kadet set up for 3 channel flight. With that much dihedral and a flat bottom airfoil it will turn just fine with rudder.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:14 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Looks like a Sig Kadet set up for 3 channel flight. With that much dihedral and a flat bottom airfoil it will turn just fine with rudder.
Thank you. What engine size would you recommend for this plane. I really like Super Tigres. Can you still purchase new ones?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM
speedracerntrixie

Super Tiger is long gone. Lots of them for sale on EBay though. Power wise the 34 would be ideal IMO but may be a bit on the light side for CG. A .40 would balance better but a bit more power then needed. Not usually an issue as you can always throttle back. An OS FP .40 would also be a good choice as would be a K&B .40 or a Webra .40 blackhead ( non speed ).
Old 07-18-2019, 12:09 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Allmodes.

This is not related to the topic - but the plane does look like a Kadet Sr.

I wanted to ask how you uploaded your photos to be smaller in the post, then they enlarge when you click on them?

I try to upload and they end up in my text as a MONSTER photo..

Thanks...

Last edited by TEBerg; 07-18-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:29 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by TEBerg
Hi Allmodes.

This is not related to the topic - but the plane does look like a Kadet Sr.

I wanted to ask how you uploaded your photos to be smaller in the post, then they enlarge when you click on them?

I try to upload and they end up in my text as a MONSTER photo..

Thanks...
I believe I used this image hosting site.

https://postimages.org/
Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to fly this on a 25 size glow engine. I built my first one in 1978 and it flew great!
Michael Johnston
Old 07-27-2019, 09:02 PM
AllModesR/C

I ended up buying this Super Tigre that is claimed to have only 2hrs of run time. Two questions:

1) Is there supposed to be a gasket between the exhaust port and muffler?

2) There are two washers attached to the bottom of the engine in the pic. Where are these supposed to go?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-27-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:31 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With most glow engines an exhaust gasket is really not important. What size Supertiger is that?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:55 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
With most glow engines an exhaust gasket is really not important. What size Supertiger is that?
It is a 40. I am guessing the washers are for the muffler bolts?

Old 07-28-2019, 11:36 AM
JohnBuckner

This engine will serve you well with the Senior. By the way suggest you do not give into temptation to try and add ailerons just because this one is a three control variation. All the kit built versions (78" ws) were without ailerons and in no real way required them.

This Senior will become a treasured keeper for you unlike you other trainer project the Aircore.

John
Old 07-29-2019, 12:56 PM
AllModesR/C

10-4 on the ailerons. I would not want to start making a mess of the wing anyways. Two questions:

1) What size propeller would you recommend? I have the following:
a) black plastic 10x6
b) black plastic 11x7.5
c) wooden 10x7
d) wooden 11x6

2) Is Wildcat Premium Plus fuel okay for this Super Tigre and the OS FP Max engine in the Aircore? I have been running this fuel in my older Super Tigre and just want to keep it all the same. The Plus has a bit more oil in it.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:45 PM
JohnBuckner

There is no need to use different fuels for either engine. The wildcat should be fine. With the slow flying airplane like a senior I prefer somewhat larger diameters and flatter pitch. The 11x6 is a reasonable starting point.

John
Old 07-31-2019, 02:01 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the washers look to be for the muffler bolts. Instead of a gasket, use some high temperature silicone between the engine and muffler. Be careful to seat the carburetor firmly when you install it so you don’t get air leaks.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

11 x 4 prop. STs mostly like to rev.

Grey Graupner is my prop of choice for beginners as it less likely to break on a prop strike while landing. Black Master is second choice.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 AM
AllModesR/C

I forgot to ask if they typically use the throttle/rudder stick as in a 4ch setup or transfer the rudder control to the right side aileron/elevator stick?
Old 09-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The throttle/rudder will stay on the left stick and the elevator will be on the right. That's a pretty plane. I don`t have one, but I helped a friend get started flying who had one and they are in my opinion an easy to fly, very graceful bird. Like John Buckner said a treasured keeper. Also I think you can`t go wrong with the SuperTigre engines. I bought some old airplane stuff in a second hand shop which included a Supretigre 61. After cleaning off the old gunk, it started up and with some minor mixture adjustments, ran like a champ. It now powers my Carl Golberg 60 and hasn't failed me yet.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:49 PM
AllModesR/C

Anybody now far aft of the front leading edge of wing the CG is on this plane?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM
speedracerntrixie

On a 3 channel airplane the rudder should always go on the right side. I actually prefer to do a mix so that rudder will be on both sides, after flying for 43 years I have issues ground steering with my right hand. Having rudder on both makes it easy for me to ground steer with my left hand and fly with my right. Most guys would be similarly accustomed. CG should be 1/3 of the wing cord. No need to go any farther forward then that, it will only make the airplane more difficult to fly and land faster.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

On a 3 channel airplane the rudder should always go on the right side.
It's interesting that you would say that since that's exactly what it says to do in the instruction book that came with my Kadet Jr.
I actually prefer to do a mix so that rudder will be on both sides, after flying for 43 years I have issues ground steering with my right hand. Having rudder on both makes it easy for me to ground steer with my left hand and fly with my right.
Now that is an interesting thought. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. It does, however, make a lot of sense.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, I guess being used to flying the regular 4 channel mode it would be easier since you`re just minus the ailerons on the right side. I have a 2 channel Cox/Sanwa which has the elevator on the left and rudder on the right. I`m planning to get a spectrum 2 channel receiver so I can add it to my radio and be able to configure it the way I`m used to which would be to have rudder on the left and elevator on the right.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 AM
speedracerntrixie

Yes, it's kind of funny. I can fly all day long with my left hand, trim in some up elevator and cruise around using rudder and throttle. Combine all the controls to do nice rolling circles, no sweat. Steer the airplane on the ground with my right hand? Not so much.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:11 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

With regard to the rudder stick, the old school will say that you need to learn to use left thumb. The bank and yank crowd will say go with the right thumb. I've done both but prefer to keep the rudder on my left simply because that's where my rudder reflexes are. One thing about it, those old three channel trainers are sufficiently stable that as long as you can maintain enough presence of mind to remember which hand has the throttle you can switch channels on a 4 channel receiver easily enough. If you are comfortable enough with flying to test out the changes that you make to you airplane then try it both ways. If it makes you nervous, remember that even experienced pilots are okay with having a trusted spotter who will remind them of what to do.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by mgnostic
With regard to the rudder stick, the old school will say that you need to learn to use left thumb. The bank and yank crowd will say go with the right thumb. I've done both but prefer to keep the rudder on my left simply because that's where my rudder reflexes are. One thing about it, those old three channel trainers are sufficiently stable that as long as you can maintain enough presence of mind to remember which hand has the throttle you can switch channels on a 4 channel receiver easily enough. If you are comfortable enough with flying to test out the changes that you make to you airplane then try it both ways. If it makes you nervous, remember that even experienced pilots are okay with having a trusted spotter who will remind them of what to do.
I flew it today with the rudder on the left stick since I need to work on my coordinated turns and it was quite odd. I landed and switched to right stick and was back in my comfort zone. Now it feels strange to ground steer with the right thumb. I am not sure if I can link right/left sticks to do the same thing on my JR X6102 radio.

Was a short day since I lost one of the rear wheels in flight. Saw something falling down from the plane and thought it was my muffler at first. Surprising I landed very smoothly with two wheels, LOL. Got the wheel situation sorted but now I need exhaust gaskets for the Super Tigre as he's leaking goo all over the place. Anyone know if these will work? It says they are for the G-34 engine and I have the .40. Perhaps somebody has some that you want to sell? Might as well ask if anybody has an intake gasket for this engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PZ-SUPER-...EAAOSwuUlb8oUJ

You guys were not kidding when you said how gracefully this plane flies. Very nice to say the least.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 09-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:01 AM
speedracerntrixie

The 34 and 40 do not have the same exhaust flange. You can very easily make a gasket out of thin card stock or just clean the surfaces really well and use a thin bead of high temp silicon. Mr Gasket orange RTV works great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.