Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Axle Screw???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Axle Screw???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 AM
Real2You

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Axle Screw???

Hello all,

I have a question that is driving me nuts. As a beginner maybe I am missing something that is obvious but I just don't see(get) it. I'm installing the landing gear on a Kadet Mark II and I am using the kit you purchase separately that has the wheels, collars, spinner, etc.
It says to use a regular threaded bolt with a few washers and nuts(included in the kit) to attach the wheel to the landing gear. When you put the bolt threw the hole in the wheel it is hard where you actually have to screw it in to get it to go through.Then you use the washers and nuts to attach it to the landing gear. I hope you are following me...lol...surely this issue has been addressed before. So...How the heck is the wheel going to turn?? It won't spin on the screw because there are threads on it...and I'm sure the screw isn't supposed to turn on the landing gear. Do I grind off the threads on the screw where it goes into the wheel so it will turn? This seems like a bad idea to me...the whole concept is screwed from what I can see. I have axle shafts that I can use but I will need to drill out the hole in the landing gear to attach it and then cut off the excess shaft after I have put the wheel and collar on. Why the heck does it say to use a bolt that is fully threaded and attach it with nuts and washers? Anyone ever come across this?
Old 11-21-2019, 01:26 PM
Real2You

Default added pictures

Here is a picture but mine does not have the wheel pants...it's the same set up though. If I get a smaller bolt then the wheel will wobble...just curious what the pros do.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:02 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A couple of options you can go with. Find a brass tubing that fits the hole in the wheel. Then find a screw that will fit into the tubing. Wheel will turn with the tubing and tubing protects the wheel from the screw threads. No wobble.

Or, find a tubing that fits your present screw. Drill the wheel to accept the tubing and install as per above.

Finally buy an axle bolt. It has a smooth shaft for the wheel. Drill landing gear plate to accept the threaded end. Bolt axle on and use wheel collars for the wheel.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Real2You

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just use axle bolts as I have a bunch of them. The tube idea sounds like a good option also.
I think more than anything maybe I was just venting when I posted that thread because the idea of using a threaded screw(and it actually came with the kit) is just a goofy way to do it that no way will work right.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you just drill out the wheel to be loose, it will work fine. I'm sure there is some measurable wear that the threads will cause, but chances are the wheel will still outlast the airplane.
Don't forget to use blue Locktite on all of the fasteners and file a flat spot if you wind up using a set screw on something. Landing gears take a beating and endure all kinds of vibration.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Real2You

Thanks Jester....that's what I was kind of hoping to hear. Knowing that the threads won't totally make the inside of the wheel oblong after a few flights puts me at ease. All the other options will work also. I'm good to go...back to building!!
Old 11-29-2019, 06:14 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could find brass tube that just fits over the screw threads and then fit it inside the wheel. The wheel hole would need to be enlarged to get a snug fit over the tube. The tube could extend out from the wheel hub just a little on both sides. Now the threads will not wear the plastic wheels. Please get some help on your first flight. It's not a easy as you would think. Too many people try by themselves and crash their plane on the first try and that's the end of it, never to try again and we've lost another one to the hobby. Check for clubs in your area, they would be happy to help.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:35 PM
Real2You

Thanks Shyhawk…..I actually drilled out the center hole a little and now it works fine. I'll give the brass tube approach a try next time. I went last Saturday to a club in the area and the guys were great...I'm going to join the club at their next meeting. I was talking to a couple guys there that can instruct and can buddy box when I fly the Kadet. This forum has been very helpful. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-30-2019, 05:33 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That will work just fine. Sounds like you're on your way to a successful first flight. It's really good to let someone else to check out your plane to make sure you didn't miss something.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, a second set of eyes is a must. After 12 years in the hobby, I still have another experienced pilot look my planes over before the first flight. I've had 2 during that time (after I solo'ed) that were saved by a fresh observation catching things I'd missed. IIRC, one was a missing servo screw, the other was too much tow in the landing gear. It's weird how you can look at you model 100 times and be so used to it the mistakes don't jump out at you.