Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the glow powered trainers?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What happened to all the glow powered trainers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 04:32 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from where?
Old 09-08-2023, 09:16 AM
FLSteve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another “get up to speed” question. Back 25 years ago when I was active, we had radio frequency control by having a board of clothes pins with the frequency # on them (44, 46, 48 etc.) at the flying field. When you flew, you took the pin with your number and clipped it to the antenna. If the pin was not on the board, you waited until it was put back. We had AM and FM radios.

Is this still the way it is done … or have radios advanced to the point where you do not have to worry about who else is flying. I just ordered a plane kit with a Spektrum DXS DSMX® 2.4GH radio for my re-entrance to the sport … but never saw where the radio frequency was indicated.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:33 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSteve
Another “get up to speed” question. Back 25 years ago when I was active, we had radio frequency control by having a board of clothes pins with the frequency # on them (44, 46, 48 etc.) at the flying field. When you flew, you took the pin with your number and clipped it to the antenna. If the pin was not on the board, you waited until it was put back. We had AM and FM radios.

Is this still the way it is done … or have radios advanced to the point where you do not have to worry about who else is flying. I just ordered a plane kit with a Spektrum DXS DSMX® 2.4GH radio for my re-entrance to the sport … but never saw where the radio frequency was indicated.
Hi FLSteve,

With anything 2.4 GHZ, there are no worries about frequencies, they are ALL on 2.4 GHZ, but the GUID (Globally Unique Identity) insures that your TX will not operate any other RX except the RX that is bound to your TX. Just like how your cellphone won't ring when someone standing next to you gets a call, you can have many people all flying at the same field with 2.4 GHZ with no interference issues.

If you, or anyone else at your field are still using the (still perfectly legal) 72 MHZ equipment, then yeah you've still gotta abide by the frequency pin protocol ...
The following users liked this post:
FLSteve (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 03:14 PM
FLSteve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks init4fun ... that was exactly what I needed to know. You did a great job making it understandable. Think I will stick with the 2.4 GHZ systems.

FLSteve
The following users liked this post:
init4fun (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 03:36 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm happy to have helped
Old 09-18-2023, 06:36 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingmachine
Where are you getting your GLOW fuel?

I make my own fuel and have been doing so for over a decade. A gallon of 5% costs about $13 per gallon, 10% is about $16.00. It’s easy to find the methanol, nitro and oil take a bit of legwork/internet research.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:46 AM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Hangar 9 Alpha 40 glow powered trainer

The Alpha 40 was a great glow powered trainer.