Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the glow powered trainers?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What happened to all the glow powered trainers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 07:11 PM
Globemaster3c17

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happened to all the glow powered trainers?

I'm trying to get back into flying R/C after about a 10 year break. In the past, I had a great time flying the Great Planes PT-40, so I tried looking for it again. Seems that it has been discontinued, Tower Trainer 40, Hangar 9 Alpha 40, Hobbico Superstar 40, and everything else I can think of that's similar seem to have had the same fate.
Does everyone start out on electrics now? I would much rather stick with glow to get myself back into flying, along with teaching my sons to fly after that. Are there any models similar to what I've listed that are still available?

Last edited by Globemaster3c17; 02-18-2020 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bingo field (02-26-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

SIG kits and ARFS are still available, from SIG if nowhere else. Kits went by the wayside with the rise of ARF's. Production shifted to the Far East. Batteries got far better, electric motors got better. Nitro stopped being produced in the US. Costs went up for glow engines, electric went down. Many engine companies stopped production. Glow prices went through the roof as hazardous shipping fees were placed on it. Engine sales dropped even further. Now wood ARFS are endangered - costs in the Far East are going up as wages are going up. Workers there are preferring jobs in electronics. Costs as much to build a .40 size wood ARF as it does a big gas ARF there. Injection foam planes, and other plastics, are beginning to take over so assembly can take less hand labor.
Planes of the older styles are still around, but much less variety. Most of what you named is now to be found via individual to individual sales.
bingo field (02-26-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

And don't forget there are good 10cc gas engines around now so fuel engines are being replaced by gas. But yes, electric motors and batteries are so much better now that 10 years ago. There are, however, a few good sound generators to give you that engine sound back Still, I love the smell of nitro in the morning - someone should make a nitro car freshener.
The following 2 users liked this post by rgburrill:
bingo field (02-26-2020), init4fun (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:11 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

You want glow planes of every size and description ? Hit the local flying club's "swap meet" and you will fill your hanger with all kinds of them in no time flat
Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 AM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same thing. I haven't flown in 7 years and my son who is 8 now is showing interest in flying so I thought I would pick up an ARF trainer. There really aren't very many choices out there for a glow powered high-wing trainer. Given the time of year it is most planes are on backorder right now too. I was hoping to spend around $100 like I did for my Tower Hobbies .40 trainer years ago, not $250 for a Sig LT-40! Might luck out on Ebay or a local swap meet.

Last edited by Ryan I.; 02-19-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:23 AM
Ryan I.

Here is a great deal
Ebay PT-40
Old 02-19-2020, 06:31 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Glow is hard to find now, due to the foamies. Like already mentioned, e..B..a...y.
I have also taught a lot of Father/son teams. I highly recommend that you allow another instructor to teach your son. He won’t listen to you as he would for an instructor. He will have more respect for him and actually listen. If you try to teach him, then it will probably ruin the hobby for both of you. Especially him, because he’ll drop the hobby. I’ve seen it happen, and the Father is there wondering what happened. Also, do not go to the pilot flight station while he is with the instructor. Mostly, because the Father in general will try to add comments and over speak the instructor, causing confusion and frustration for the instructor and the kid. There have been several times that I tell the Father to go to the pits and sit down. I don’t allow the Father to be there. You can start the plane, carry it to the flight line, then go sit down. After he has soloed, then you both can start sharing and enjoying the hobby together.
bingo field (02-26-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Ryan I.

RCFlyerDan, no worries. I already have an instructor from my club lined up. I know better than to try to teach him myself, lol!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:02 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Awesome! You’re a good Father. I’ve just seen it ruin some Father/Son relationship, and normally, the child quits.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:49 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan I.
I noticed the same thing. I haven't flown in 7 years and my son who is 8 now is showing interest in flying so I thought I would pick up an ARF trainer. There really aren't very many choices out there for a glow powered high-wing trainer. Given the time of year it is most planes are on backorder right now too. I was hoping to spend around $100 like I did for my Tower Hobbies 40 years ago, not $250 for a Sig LT-40! Might luck out on Ebay or a local swap meet.
Actually, you are getting a bargain! That $100 purchase from 1980 would now cost $313 after factoring in general inflation!

If you are looking for sticker shock, check out a gallon of glow fuel at your local hobby shop. $35 per gallon! Hence why I no longer fly my YS 1.20 At $8 a flight, it is a bit too much for me.....

I still fly glow a fair bit, but pretty much only .40 size or less. Gasoline for me in the big sizes. Although I have gone to the dark side and have some foam electrics....

Last edited by tedsander; 02-19-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:53 AM
fliers1

You might find some real name-your-price bargain in or around your area. I gave away a dozen glow powered airplanes because I couldn't find anyone who would pay anything for them. I got all of them from someone who also couldn't find anyone to buy them. Usually it was a wife of a deceased husband or relative who couldn't get rid of the stuff. I was asked if I would buy these airplanes or knew of someone. I told them there was no market at all for used glow powered airplanes. The ladies said they had no choice but to make room by throwing them out for the garbage man or give them to me. Then I got stuck with dozens of airplanes, radios, engines and tons of other stuff. I finally managed to dump them off on someone else. lol

FB Marketplace

Last edited by fliers1; 02-20-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:52 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm sure if you want a trainer, you'll find one.

Last edited by J330; 02-20-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:51 AM
ramboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find glow trainers for sale on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:56 AM
ramboy

Originally Posted by tedsander

If you are looking for sticker shock, check out a gallon of glow fuel at your local hobby shop. $35 per gallon!
I only pay $17-$20 per gallon.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:19 AM
J330

Graves RC in Orlando FL is about $15.00 a gallon as well. Here in Sebastian it's $25 a gallon or more. One is 25 miles away, the cheaper place is 75 miles away. Best to find a glow buddy to split gas and you buy it by the case, and we do.
Another way to go is getting a 55 gallon drum of methanol race fuel, add your own castor oil. You really don't need the nitro to run a 2 stroke glow engine (FAI for example, I've used it for years, cuts down on bearing failure too) unless of course you have 4 stroke engines. I've seen clubs do this routinely.
flyingmachine (09-08-2023)
Old 02-21-2020, 09:42 AM
Skyhawk940

I'm an old timer that has been glow for longer than I'd like to remember. First plane 1958. I love the sound of engines. Electric's are way too quite. I'm starting to change over now, but still have both. I love to fly my glow engines, but after the flight, the plane is a mess with all the glow oil all over it. Then I like my electric's more. As far as the cost of an ARF, try to build one and you'll find it costing TWICE as much. Wood prices are $$$$$. Pat Catans craft store closed and I got all of their balsa for 60% off. $350, but what a bargain for Midwest Balsa! I scratch build a lot.

Skyhawk
Sandusky, OH

Last edited by Skyhawk940; 02-21-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:05 PM
J330

Not to disagree with your choices, but I worked hard to avoid the glow clean up and found some ways to cure it. Ever try side mounting your glow engines? Bottom exhaust direction rarely causes a need for any clean up. I fly with Pitts mufflers or pipe that exit the bottom with side mount configuration. Plane stays dry. Also a longer extension tube (not the cheap gray silicon thing you zip tie on, but made my own.)

I can't do electric. I don't like a 5 minute flight. I don't like to sit waiting for a charge cycle.
I don't like charging or storing them in my house. A local guy had his van burn to the ground from misplacing a lipo in his van. That's all I needed to hear. I'll take the 409 paper towel challenge any day of the week instead!

The forums (RCG dominates now) have classifieds, you can find a deal on anything, just takes a little patience as others are doing the same thing. But scratch building is great if you have the time and space for it. By the time I work out the templates and hardware issues, I prefer a kit and the cost saves relatively a lot of time that makes it worth it.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Skyhawk940

Just said I love glow, but the only down side is clean up vers electric. They both have good and bad sides. I believe glow will die in the years to come. In my area, we are few and old. I don't see many youth interested in our hobby. I can see with all the Government rules coming down and the old timers dropping out, our hobby vanishing completely. Hate to see it.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:26 PM
ramboy

Originally Posted by J330
Not to disagree with your choices, but I worked hard to avoid the glow clean up and found some ways to cure it. Ever try side mounting your glow engines? Bottom exhaust direction rarely causes a need for any clean up. I fly with Pitts mufflers or pipe that exit the bottom with side mount configuration. Plane stays dry. Also a longer extension tube (not the cheap gray silicon thing you zip tie on, but made my own.)

I can't do electric. I don't like a 5 minute flight. I don't like to sit waiting for a charge cycle.
I don't like charging or storing them in my house. A local guy had his van burn to the ground from misplacing a lipo in his van. That's all I needed to hear. I'll take the 409 paper towel challenge any day of the week instead!

The forums (RCG dominates now) have classifieds, you can find a deal on anything, just takes a little patience as others are doing the same thing. But scratch building is great if you have the time and space for it. By the time I work out the templates and hardware issues, I prefer a kit and the cost saves relatively a lot of time that makes it worth it.

Anyone who tells me their life is too busy to spend 1 minute wiping down glow residue should find another hobby.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:51 AM
J330

Originally Posted by ramboy
Anyone who tells me their life is too busy to spend 1 minute wiping down glow residue should find another hobby.
That's what I was trying to say, but in a nice way. People that went electric, discover the drawbacks and are considering going back to glow, but that's like all the other guesswork going on in this thread, and I'll just worry about what I do.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:00 AM

love your airfreshner comment ! i agree
Old 08-27-2023, 12:00 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

old school model works has some
Old School Model Works : Home
Old 09-06-2023, 05:15 AM
easystar123

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default The Boomerang Trainer

1. The Boomerang Trainer from Seagull Models makes an excellent glow engine plane for the novice pilot just starting out. Its also a marvelous aircraft for those pilots who are more experienced and performing basic aerobatics is no problem for this plane.
Old 09-06-2023, 01:37 PM
FLSteve

Originally Posted by Globemaster3c17
I'm trying to get back into flying R/C after about a 10 year break. Does everyone start out on electrics now? I would much rather stick with glow to get myself back into flying ...
This was my reaction too after just getting back into the sport after 25 years. I was all OS Max glow engines, Futaba radios and balsa build kits back then ... but just ordered an Apprentice STS 1.5m RTF Basic Smart Trainer with SAFE that includes the radio as my re-entrance plane. My biggest learning curve is figuring out the batteries and charges. I went with the G2 battery & charger thinking that might be better??

Last edited by FLSteve; 09-06-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 04:26 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are you getting your GLOW fuel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.