Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Nyrods: Expansion/contraction with temperature changes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Nyrods: Expansion/contraction with temperature changes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 02:48 PM
redneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nyrods: Expansion/contraction with temperature changes

My Nyrods contract in cold weather. (So much so that I have to adjust my clevis because my trim tabs aren't enough) Any one else have this problem?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:20 PM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

Same problem here between summer flying at 90 degrees and winter flying at 10 degrees. So does anyone have ideas on what pushrods we can use to avoid this thermal problem?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 PM
mahoo

I have the same problem with my 4*60. My 120 sized patten plane has wood dowels at I have not noticed any trim changes due to temperature. Another flying buddy with a 4*60 said he replaced the nyrod with a similar diameter carbon fiber rod inside the nyrod sheath. It fit perfectly. I am going to look into this. My trim changes are so dramatic that I can't trim it with the trim on my transmitter, it must be trimmed by the clevises.

Mitch
Old 02-07-2003, 03:42 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes thats a common problem. Most of the time it's just a few trim clicks so yours is a little worse than most.
If you have a pretty straight run just pull out the plastic rods and run solid metal all the way through.
Sullivan makes these that come in packs of two with all the hardware.later daveo
Old 02-07-2003, 05:55 PM
RONSTERMONSTER

You can get carbon fiber rod that fit in the outert casing of you already have in your plane for the nyrons . I use these on my planes and I do not get any trimn changes due to temp.
Ron
Old 02-07-2003, 06:30 PM
redneck

FHHuber,
Feel free to jump in here anytime and explain this phenomenon to these guys too!!
Old 02-09-2003, 10:25 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

RonsterMonstor,
I also have the same problem with the Nyrods that come with my SIG kits. I've replaced some of them with the Sullivan Gold-'n-Rods.

Can you give us a recommendation of where to get the Carbon Fiber inserts that you mentioned?

Thanks,

Bob
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 01:44 PM
RONSTERMONSTER

They are Sulivan composit rods . I think they will fit inside golden rod outer casing
here is a linkcomposit rods
Hope this helps
I just check and and the composite rod fits into the red sulivan out sheith not sure if it fits the blue . not sure about the sig rods
Ron
Old 02-09-2003, 04:20 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, RonsterMonster,

I didn't know that Sullivan made Composite pushrods - it looks like it is Sullivan p/n S580. I see that they make 2-56 and 4-40 Composite pushrods in 36" and 48" lengths. Funny, I never noticed them before.

I saw their cost on a retail web site, but it's not that much more than regular rods - especially when you consider what we spend for other 'necessary incidentals' that we put into our planes. Cheap insurance.

Thanks again,

Bob

Old 02-09-2003, 09:47 PM
mahoo

Thanks for the tip where to buy the rods. Are the carbon rods truely flexible as advertised? My 4*60 rods aren't perfectly straight and the corbon rods I am familiar with are stiff.

Thanks
Mitch
Old 02-10-2003, 07:50 AM
RONSTERMONSTER

They are just as flexable as any nyrod
Ron
Old 02-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Tippie

Use S/S cable or solid music wire. Don't run your antenna along side the cable/wire to reduce any inductance problem with the receiver. Carbon rod also could possibly cause a radio problem if the antenna is too close.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Nylons are very succeptable to the environment, humidity, temerature changes, fluids all affect nylon moreso then other plastics. The best bet would be to stick with an epoxy based composite such as carbon fibre or fiberglass ( polyester composite ) Nylon is also a very porous plastic, it will absorb whatever moisture is in it's environment and swell be it oils or water or just the humidity in the air. A few other tips on plastic is if you are using CA around lexan, be sure the surface is covered, coat it with a thinlayer of vaseline or something like that, if not the fumes will be drawn into the surface and fog it ( Lexan is another plastic that loves to absorb ) Never use threadlocker on bolts that pass through lexan, it attacks it and causes it to craze. another tip I have learned, if you glue your fingers together with CA, just put them in water, CA hates water also, in just a few minutes, they'll come apart and the CA will peel right off. any other plastic questions, I'll try to field them as best I can, I have been in the plastic fabrication business for 15 years now.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:53 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Where it's possible I run small dowels with wire ends of a coupleof inches. Hardwwood dowels weigh a bit more but do not absorb moisture as does balsa. I realize this solution is not always possible due to kinks and turns but take a close look and you will be surprised how many times you can substitute for nyrods.