Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

GB tiger 2 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

GB tiger 2 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 09:44 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GB tiger 2 ARF

It time for a second plane and I am leaning towards the GB tiger 2. I learned on a Eagle 2 and am pretty satisifed with GB quality. I am planning on putting either a OS 46 FX or a Mag 46 XLS on it. I have both of the engines so price is not a worry. I have two worries about the tiger 2 though. First is the fuel tank. With the ARF comes an 8oz fuel tank. I think this to be kind of small for either 46 engine. What do you guys think? My second worry is that i've read about the tiger's having balance issues. What experience have you guys had with them?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:38 PM
DJJ

Default RE: GB tiger 2 ARF

Sounds like you're in the same boat I am. I too learned on the Eagle 2 and absolutely loved it. I'm almost finished with the GB Tiger 2. I'm putting in an OS .46 FX. I believe my tank is a 10 oz but not sure. I haven't balanced it yet so I'm curious too. Good luck with yours.

-DJJ
Old 12-03-2003, 04:01 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Let me know how it does when you balance it.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:24 PM
DJJ

Will do.

-DJJ
Old 12-03-2003, 04:24 PM
atmycabin
My Feedback: (10)

I whent from a LT-40 to a Tigter II and love it. Easier to fly and land than my trainer! I initially had the trainer's OS46 which was perfect for this plane. I did repace the 46 with a Saito 72 4-Stoke. I just love that sound. After flying a friends Tiger 60 I wish I would have purchased it. It's easier to see but flies just as well. The OS91FS engine on the 60 would also have powered most of the war birds I'm eyeballing. Regardless of size, you'll love the Tiger. Watch out when landing. The recommended low control throws were too conservative and I ran out of elevator on my first landing. Start out with high rates and dial in some exponential. Now it lands sweet.

Have fun
Old 12-03-2003, 04:33 PM
TheParrot

The Tiger 2 is a great flying airplane! Its fun and easy to fly. Ours has an OS 52 FS but Im sure the 46 is plenty of power. I learned on a Kadet senior and landing was hard! the senior would float forever. But landing teh Tiger... wow! it touches and sticks. Great plane to fly. Would reccomend it to anyone!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:14 AM
DJJ

This weekend I balanced my Tiger 2. To my surprise it did not require any additional weight to balance correctly. I did what the instructions said except I found it easier to turn the plane upside down to balance it. I can't wait to get it in the air now.

-DJJ
Old 12-08-2003, 01:56 PM
Phi3l

My Tiger II ARF flys well and it balanced with no additional weight. The fuel tank is an 8oz Sullivan slant tank. I'm going to put a 10oz in mine. If you get the same sullivan in 10 oz size it will fit if you use 1/4" thick foam instead of 1/2" thick. Both tanks are the same length so the bigger one will not hit the former at the rear of the tank compartment.

Phil in MN.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:46 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've flown the Tiger II ARF, Tiger II kit version, Tiger 60ARF, and Tiger 60 kit version. They are all great flyers. I have 2 Tiger 60 ARF's, 1 completed with a ST .90 2c and the other waiting to be completed with a Magnum .91 4c. The completed one with the ST .90 is setup as a tail dragger, has the servos in the tail and is balanced 1" behind the spar! Yes it's tail heavy, but you'd never know it. It has unlimited vertical with a 14X6 APC prop. If you can swallow the higher prices for the Tiger 60 and motor, GO FOR IT! If you're postioned for the Tiger II, you still won't be disapointed. Either one for a second plane is a good choice.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

I got a Tiger II ARF and have a Magnum .46 XLS in it. I have not yet finished it, though.
I think its very good.

Just DONT USE THE CRAP HINGES! I used them on my ailerons and now they buzz. AAHHH!!!

Use the Jet hinges also included with the ARF.

But I still think it's good.

I am having inclusion problems with CG though.
It came with 1 bad blind nut, no nosegear block, 1 too big blind nut, and lacking two pieces of balsa (This is the ARF, not the Kit, but it still has some balsa).

I think its good.

Peole here have told me that an 8oz fuel tank will be fine.

(O yea, buy 1/2 inch foam rubber, not 1/4. You have to use 1/2 inch for the fuel tank or else it will be too loose. I had to glue two pieces of 1/4 inch rubber together.)
Old 12-09-2003, 03:17 PM
phread59

I flew mine on a Super tiger GS45. It worked great for me. I did not build the kit. And I turned it into a taildragger after a fly away and crash. If you get the kit and build it (I reccomend it) reinforce the area where the landing gear blocks mount in the wings. It is flimsy and I have ripped out both blocks at different times. I have to repair it and then I can fly it again. You will love it it is a great plane. Smooth flier that can be slowed to a walk to land. Good luck with youir tiger.

Mark Shuman
Old 01-18-2004, 10:28 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Default RE: GB <span class=

Oh nO!

My Tiger II arf + Futaba 6YG + Magnum .46 XLS will not sit on trycicle gear!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Denjones

Default RE: GB <span class=

I love my Tiger II .40. I've had it for a couple of years and it's very reliable and easy to fly. As was previously stated, it was easier to land than my trainer (Avistar). I am using a OS .46FX with a 11x5 APC and Tower Muffler. That is plenty of engine for the plane. It will go vertical almost unlimited and with the flapperons (you don't need them) it will take off within a few feet. It floats on landings and is very predictable. No surprises.

I placed the batter under the gas tank, played with the motor/motor mount and used velco to position the receiver and it balanced perfectly. When I first got it, the club instructor wouldn't let me fly it because he said the balance wasn't right. Without fuel, it would have a tendancy to drop the tail on the ground. After verifying the CG, it flew perfect at the middle of the recommended CG point.

You could do better but you won't be disappointed.

Denny
Davison, MI