Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

NEW REVIEW: Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NEW REVIEW: Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Larry Eddy
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW REVIEW: Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer

New Review:[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=250]Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer[/link] in the RCU magazine, compliments of Fly RC Magazine.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:31 AM
tetons9
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: NEW REVIEW: Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer

I like the plane but don't need the engine and radio equipment. Can it be bought without these? Seems like all the ARF trainers want to sell all the equipment at a higher price.

Larry
Old 12-19-2003, 01:46 AM
xed

Looks a lot like the Easy 2, the landing gear look wimpy though!

Review is really top-notch, I smell a Canon Digital SLR camera behind those milky smooth pictures.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:45 PM
danny03

tetons9

The alpha 9 trainer can be bought as either a RTF (includes radio & engine) or as an ARF (with out radio & engine)

Xed
I agree that the landing gear looks a little wimpy but so far I have not had any trouble on grass (1 to 1 1/2) tall or on asphalt...

p.s. heres a photo of my Alpha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14621.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	84529  
Old 12-22-2003, 05:53 PM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

I also had an alfa trainer, be sure to check the nose gear bolts every so offten mine fell of on the first ten flights, should have checked it, my fault just a reminder, also keep an eye on the retainer bolt on the muffler, that fell off on me too, as far as the landing gear goes, its not too bad, you will have to reshape it after a hard landing though.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:36 PM
LearjetMech

I love my Alf Alpha! Keep an eye on the Aileron Torque blocks. Mine got pretty sloppy after about 15 or so flights, and no damage to the wing. Called Horizon and they had me cut it in half and send it in. They sent me a new one that had some crushed ribs. Called them and he said keep it and they sent me another. Got it on Monday and it looks good. Going to try and rebuild the wing with bad ribs and put flaps on center servo and dual aileron servos. Might try and build it flat too. That might be a little difficult though!
Old 12-26-2003, 09:20 AM
rickwallace45
My Feedback: (3)

One of my students has an Alpha - thoughts and comments --
I like the package. Was prepared not to, but it's all worked great so far- for the first 15 flights.

The engine's needle valve limiters WORK - I was amazed
Makes good enough power - the prop/ engine/ plane combo work relaly well together.

This is a good primary trainer / second airplane combo. Kudos to Hangar 9 / Horizon for this one!
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 PM
drvcrash

I finally got my alpha in the air yesterday. had 5 flights of 5 to 10 minutes. I have to say this is the only rc anything that is truly ready to run. I have never had such a easy time getting started. So far the only problems I see are nose gear came lose and engine mount is loose and some bubbles in the covering. I did burn out a glow plug also. but other than that its a nice plane. Its got enuff power to pull out of any mistake I had so far. I have never landed a plane with gear yet either , mostly foamies i just skid in talk grass. I hit pretty hard twice on the nose gear and nothing broke. Im amazed.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:16 AM
rcjunkie50

new pilot here....
Santa left one of these under my tree this year! I have not started up the engine yet, but have gone over all of the screws and used lock tight. Hope to get started with a good training program out at the field ( just joined AMA and will join the club once the AMA card comes in).
Question. How do you get rid of the bubbles? Do I pop them, glue the ? I have done trucks and cars for years but this hobby looks to have more mature participants (nothing against the younger hobby members) that fit my age.
Any advise for totally newby!!!
Later
Dennis
Old 12-30-2003, 09:34 AM
drvcrash

I was thinking about heating them up with a hairdryer. I havent done anything with them yet though. It flys just fine with them. One thing I did adjust after my first couple flights was the direction the muffler points , its gets nitro all over the wing so I loosened up the nut on the end and twisted it to point down.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:19 AM
onytay

what i did about the bubbles that kept showing up on my Alfa, was take a smaill T-pin or push pin and poke a tiny hole in the covering, this alows the gasses to exscape from underneith, then use a covering iron, if you dont have a covering iron a regular irom will work, just dont let the Wife see ya!!!!! Just use a circular motion and watch the bubble disapear.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:05 AM
rcjunkie50

onytay,
thanks for the tip. ran this by the wifey and she thought this funny. will try this. how hot do set the iron?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:21 AM
rcjunkie50

Another question,
I hear a click from the right aileron when pushing the stick right (not sure if I am using the right terms here). Going left is quiet. Is this normal?
Old 12-30-2003, 06:09 PM
BGR

I bought a trainer with a very similar design to this one years ago. It was an ARF and got me past the initial learning curve. The Alpha Trainer looks like it is the right plane for someone wanting to get started. The price is good too, $290.00 + tax and maybe another $50.00 for simple support tools, a few spare props, some glue, tape and 1 bottle of fuel and you are ready to go.

Unlike some cheaper RTF systems you can reuse the 4 channel radio gear, servos and maybe even the engine in the next plane. The specs for the radio did not mention any mixing features, it might be nice to have mixing incase someone wants to move into wings or Vtail.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:44 PM
drvcrash

Well I finally killed my alpha in the tenth flight. I was landing yesterday and wasnt paying attention to the trees and the landing gear touched the top od the tree and in nosed into it. It just stuck right in the top about 70 foot up a big tree , so today The only way I could think of to get it down was to shoot the limb off with a shotgun. We actually shot the branch off on the third try and the plane ended up half way down the tree stuck on a y branch. At this point a got mad and decided to juast try and recover the engine and electronics , so i blew the tail off and it still wouldnt come down , I then tried shooting the wings off. And the are pretty damn strong I ended up using a whole box of shells to get the wings off. This plane is really tuff. It finally fell down and the fusalge and wings are done but tail , engine and electronics are fine so i guess ill get the arf version and rebuild
Old 01-04-2004, 02:39 AM
Procrastinator

DvrCRASH,
I also got a ALPHA, and I LUV HER!!!
Do you have any pictures of your shoot up ALPHA???
I know I am a SICK-O for asking, but you can't be all there either.....
SHOTGUN....
If you have any pics, I would proudly display them in my website, "RC PLANE CRASH CLUB"

My batteries are charging, and soon, I shall be up there... AGAIN!
Check out our cool site at
http://groups.msn.com/HobbyzoneRCPla...Clubunofficial
Big Thanks form the Procrastinator

Name:	Fd91280.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	87526  
Old 01-04-2004, 03:16 AM
Procrastinator

HANGER 9 ALPHA UPGRADES?

I have gotten very good with my Alpha trainer, and am now trying max HER out!
I got rid of the flywheel, and tried different props...The fastest prop I have tried was a nylon 11-4.5.
The speed would get above the max ability of the chassis, and I sometimes feared breaking the wing!
But, that prop is history, I broke it after clipping an OAK tree. I now have a 11-7.5 and it seems good.
DOES ANYONE KNOW THE MAX SAFE PROP RPM of thre ALPHA .46 motor????
I liked the 11-4.5, but fear I would smoke the motor!!!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 11:23 AM
drvcrash

No i forgot to take the camera out in the woods with me . I thought about it before I started and thought it would make a funny video. It was like the tree was playing with us. I mean we shot off a 3 inch branch on like the second or third try and the plane was falling straight down then wham it catches a littel tiny branch and vers into a second tree. I only had vert little damage to that point but now it was totally stuck so I got made and blew both side of the wing off with buck shot. then it gets caught again , so i shot the tail off with a slug. it falls a bit farther than and damn gets stuck again . so i just starting shot it to pieces i was so mad. I ordered another rtf alpha , cant wiat to get it , i was gonna get a arf and put my engine and radio in it but i dont feel like doing the glueing and crap just yet , i want to learn to fly with a plane i know is built right first. Ive been building a GWS E-starter arf now too and its a pain in the ass. I dont see how they call it arf its a damn kit . nothing it put to gether already
Old 01-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Stormin

Default Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer VS. Hangar 9 Arrow Trainer

Ok, newbie here, needing a little helpful advise from the RC gods.

I've made up my mind to get into the hobby, I've chatted with RC hobby shop owners, I've read every review on the net I can find. I had one day of flying experience under the supervision of an experienced friend a few years ago (hence the interest). So, I'm planning on picking up a good trainer, registering with AMA, plus the local club, etc etc. Now is the decision for which RTF plane I intend to crash into a tree.

I have been looking seriously at the Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer mentioned in this thread, and I pretty much had decided to get it. However, I've started looking at the Hangar 9 Arrow Trainer too, which looks like it might have a lot of the good features of the Alpha, plus a bit more maneuverability. The reason I'm locked in indecision at this time is that for $10 more, the handling of the Arrow may keep the I-Want's at bay for a while. I worry that I will grow bored with the predictable flying of the Alpha too soon and will have to upgrade planes before my wallet gets a chance to recover from the first plane.

I have found very few opinions offered on the Arrow and certainly no comparison of the Arrow vs. the Alpha. Can any of you give some insight?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Stormin

Default RE: Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer VS. Hangar 9 Arrow Trainer

No takers? Well, I checked with another local shop and the concensus was to take the Arrow over the Alpha. In their opinion, the Alpha is too easily outgrown, whereas the Arrow should hold interest longer due to the more aerobatic design.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Procrastinator

Stormin,
I never seen the Arrow in action, but I have been very impressed with my Alpha. I intend to transition into the Hanger 9 CORSAIR. I would like better performance out of the alpha, but by removing the flywheel, and installing a nylon two blade 10x6 prop, it seems I am now able to push the chassis to its max output!!!
Never the less, I went with the Alpha because, I got my RTF second hand complete for only $150 BUCKS!!!!! Could not loose with a deal like that!!! GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-17-2004, 03:33 AM
Stormin

Procrastinator,

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like you got a great deal on that Alpha...that would sure make the decision easier for me too. At best, the lowest I've been able to find on the Alpha has been $269 online new (www.southeastrc.com) which includes a $10 promo discount and free shipping. The Arrow is $10 more.

I've actually started looking closer at the Hobbico NexStar Select, which seems like a solid trainer from what I've read. I'm not sure if it's worth the $100 extra over the Alpha (RTF), however.

Good luck with that Corsair! That is a beautiful lookin' bird. I hear it's a bit squirrely to fly.

Thanks again...
Old 01-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Procrastinator

Stormin,
As far as a trainer goes, I don't think a different trainer plane can fly any better. THE ALPHA is TOUGH!!!! The ULTRACOTE covering is a must for me. The Hobbico NextStar Select, is a very good plane, but I don't think it handles mistakes as well.
I have hit the top of a 30+ foot oak tree on a landing approach, and put her straight into the ground. One prop and 2 minutes later, she was up again. There has been many ouches and oops, but she still flies and looks great!!!! If you will have an instructor, you may not have the problems I do. I am a self taught destructor.
BUY, BUY, BUY, and then FLY, FLY, FLY!!!!!!
OH YEAH.....If you have any projects (home improvements, etc...) that need to be finished, HURRY-UP! for when you start to RC, something happens.......you begin to change.....things never seem to get done... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Name:	Mk25950.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	91404  
Old 01-17-2004, 02:45 PM
marshallcowboy
My Feedback: (14)

Santa was nice to me and got me an Alpha which I have crashed twice now. I bought an ARF fuselage and got it ready to go again. Only this time I have access to the local club for the much needed help. LOL

Name:	Ki18915.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	91467  
Old 01-18-2004, 11:47 PM
overclock

ORIGINAL: Stormin
I've actually started looking closer at the Hobbico NexStar Select, which seems like a solid trainer from what I've read. I'm not sure if it's worth the $100 extra over the Alpha (RTF), however.
I have looked extensively at the Alpha and the Nexstar. You have to look at what you are getting for $100, a flight simulator. If you don't need it don't get the Nexstar. However, at the club meeting I went to on Friday a pilot said he benefited from a flight sim after flying for 9 years even. If he did, I definately would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.