Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Piper Cub Kit

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Piper Cub Kit

Old 12-09-2003, 01:40 AM
nilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piper Cub Kit

I'm planning to move on to a new plane from my trainner and the Piper Cub Kit .40-.61,76.5" looks a very awsome plane.
I'm looking for some plane that would still give me a safe recovery and slow flight until I move to a faster plane. Is this plane going to do that?
I saw this plane Kit in Tower hobbies for $110. Any better deal and is this kit good?

Thanks,

Nilo
Old 12-09-2003, 02:11 AM
forestroke

Default WM Piper Cub 26

I have a Piper Cub but it's only .26. I have an O.S. FS30S in it and it is absolutely wonderful. Not the easiest plane to fly due to its extremely short fuselage, but it's adorable!!! World Models have excellent kits at reasonable prices in general.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:24 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: WM Piper Cub 26

The Cub is ideal for the type of flying you are looking to do. I always suggest building the clipped wing version. It's much more aerobatic than the full wing, but it still floats beautifully.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:39 PM
phread59

Default RE: Piper Cub Kit

Hello Nilo:

Is the kit you are looking at the GP Cub? If so I can help you some. I just about have mine finished. It is a decent kit but I found that some of the parts fit is kinda poor. The wing tips and tail pieces are balsa die cut pieces. The die cutting stunk on my kit. The parts fit was terrible. Just be careful and sand to fit. The firewall was a nightmare to fit. The fuse sides just refused to be bent properly. Soak the tar out of the outer fuse so you can get the sides to fit flush with the firewall. bending them is tough so be patient. The fit was poor. There were gapps at the bottom of the firewall. fill them in with scrap wood. Also pay attention when you glue in the dihedral braces. They support the wing dowels. It is very easy to get the wing fit on the fuse off. You need to center the dowels in the opening to fit the fuse squarely. Take your time and all will be well.

Having said this the kit was a nice kit. Very light and great scale looks. The kit appears very strong. I like the engineering in it. I am covering it with 21'st century woven covering(and not Cub yellow!). I used CA to build it with some epoxy in stress areas. All in all a nice kit. Oh be ware of drilling the landing gear leg hole in the blocks. If you drill them as they suggest the gear will not fit. Move the holes inward just a tickle and all will be ok. Best of luck and enjoy.

Mark Shuman
Old 12-09-2003, 02:51 PM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

I've built the .40 size GP cub kit twice, once in the full wing 76.5" version and once in the clipped wing 60" inch version. The first time I built it was my first involvement with rc airplanes and I had no trouble building the plane. I did have an experienced rc guy to answer imponderables and it took me a while, but I got it done. If you want a cub kit, this is a good one.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:35 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Nilo:

Cubs are truly fun to fly on a calm day when you want to have relaxing flying. The key word is calm day -- being a tail dragger, they are tricky on takeoffs or landings in any wind over 15mph. Every hangar should have at least one. My only suggestion is maybe going with a 4 Star 40 first, then build the cub. Learn drop tails with the 4 Star that is much more forgiving and will handle much higher winds than the cub.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cubs are great. Build the Goldberg anniversary edition. You will be glad you did.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:03 PM
nilo

Thanks guys,

The kit I found is the Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub Kit .40-.61,76.5" in tower hobbies for $110
What is the "GP" one? Is this one?
Is this kit from Tower Hobbies good quality?

Thanks again,

Nilo
Old 12-09-2003, 08:01 PM
iowanspctr

I'm just finishing up a GB anniversary edition Cub. Doing it in military colors with invasion stripes. Got it cheap at the LHS because some parts were missing. Fabricated those, and it's coming together. I am building the scale functional landing gear and functional wing struts. Mebbe I'll have it together for the January 1 fly! The Goldberg kit is not really scale, but close enough for my purposes.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Crash site

I have a gp 40 size cub and its almost done I need a little more time on my trainer before I put this one in haoms way everone I talk to say they are very forgiving but they tend to tip stall
anyone ever here that
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you all think of the new Sig 1/5 scale Cub?
Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Live Wire

The SIG 1/5 is one of the best kit I have built and Flown, I built it in 3 days covered in 1. Am flying it yet great bird but not a trainer, and you better know how to use the RUDDER.
That is on any CUB!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:29 AM
MinnFlyer

Nilo, the Goldberg Annivesary is an absolute delight!

And I'll repeat what I said earlier about building the clipped version. A lot of people are afraid to clip the wing thinking that it is going to turn it into a rocket, but here are the facts:

The original Cub was introduced as an "Everyman's Plane". The designers wanted to keep it inexpensive, so they used a very small engine. Because it had very little power, it needed a big wing. A few years later, a few people discovered that if you used a bigger engine, you could cut down the wing size and have a really good plane that wasn't as clumsyand lumberous as the original.

What this equates to with models is this. You colud build and fly the GB Cub with the full wing, and it will fly with a .30 size engine (Providing all you want to do is take off, circle the field, and land). But slap the right size engine on it, and now the wing is too big for all that extra power, yet clipping the wing doesn't cause it to be too hot, it just allows it to be more agile.

Try it! You'll Like It!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Abraxxas

Go Goldberg, I have two of them... one clipped wing covered in fabric and painted with OS .91 four stroke (way too much engine unless you have good throttle management) and a full span version covered in film with K&B .65 (way way to much engine) and they both fly beautifully. Great kit, easy build and they fly great either way, clipped is a bit more fun tho and still a very gentle plane.

Brian
Old 12-10-2003, 01:37 PM
kerrydel

ORIGINAL: nilo

Thanks guys,

The kit I found is the Goldberg Anniversary Piper Cub Kit .40-.61,76.5" in tower hobbies for $110
What is the "GP" one? Is this one?
Is this kit from Tower Hobbies good quality?

Thanks again,

Nilo

GP stands for Great Planes. They have a .20, a .40, and a .60 size Cub kits. You should be able to find them in the Tower Hobbies catalog as well.

Kerry
Old 12-10-2003, 01:49 PM
nilo

Mike,

The kit in tower hobbies says that the kit wing is 76.5" and the Clipped Wing is 67.5".
Is this an option when you are building the kit, within the same kit to make the wing shorter?
Which engine should I use with the clipped wing? .40 or 0.46 would work? A bigger engine like 0.61 would require modifying the cowling ?

Thanks,

Nilo
Old 12-10-2003, 01:55 PM
DustOffUH1

I just received my J3 Cub from SIG (Herr actually makes it, $85.95). 48" wingspan, .049 - .061, not the park flyer. Looks like a very nice laser cut kit. Like I said I just received it so that's about all I can say about it. The wood, instructions and plans all look very nice. If anyone else built one of these what engine would you recommend?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-10-2003, 02:05 PM
nilo

Joe,

Where did you buy you J3 SIG from?Web site?
The wingspan is quite shorter than the 67" clipped from Goldberg or 61" from GP.
Is this just a different scale then the others?

Nilo
Old 12-10-2003, 03:32 PM
DustOffUH1

I guess its just a "smaller plane". Thats probably why its cheaper. Here's the web site. I meant to include it b4. [link=http://www.iflyherr.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/HMainMenuF.html?E+Hrr]Herr Engineering[/link]. Its not the "breezy park flyer". On the left side click on RC Kits for Gas & Electric. It caught my eye, because "they are a division of SIG", and they say " It’s quick building and excellent handling make this model a great choice for the beginners as well as the sport flyer." It was actually a hard decision for me. I was going to go with the Goldberg Anniversary edition, and looking at a couple others. Its a Christmas present to myself.
Joe
edited: It came shipped in a SIG box so I think it does come from SIG. Don't know for sure though.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:38 PM
nilo

Joe,

It looks that this plane doesn't have ailerons, am I wrong? It requires only 3 channels!

Nilo
Old 12-10-2003, 07:06 PM
nilo

I found the piper cub J3 in the website below, RTF 71" wingspan for $129!
Any comments?

nilo

http://www.airborne-models.com/html/piper.html
Old 12-10-2003, 07:31 PM
MinnFlyer

Nilo, you are correct, the one kit can be built two ways. It's just a matter of trimming the spars, and omitting two or three ribs.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 PM
nilo

Mike, did you see my last post?
I found the piper cub 48, ready to fly for $129!
The question is, is this manufactor reliable? Take a look in the link I sent before.

Nilo
Old 12-11-2003, 05:22 PM
nilo

Does anyone heard of planes from AirBorne Models, LLC => http://www.airborne-models.com/index-2.html
I'm planning to buy the Piper J-3 Cub 48 from then and would like some comments before.

thanks,

Nilo
Old 12-11-2003, 06:17 PM
phread59

Yes Nilo I meant Great Planes. You can get them from Tower or many other mail or retail outlets. I got mine from my Local Hobbie Shop. Mine will be a full length wing with a Saito 80 four stroke for power. I will eventually build a clipped wing from spare wood for it.

Mark Shuman

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.