Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Please help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 12:29 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

I will be getting a Hobbico Superstar ARF for x-mas. I have an O.S. .46 la and a futaba 6exa radio system to install in it.According to tower I'll need fuel, Great Planes Screw lock connectors, Fuel tubing,Latex foam rubber, rubber bands, a glow plug and props.I already have asked for a Hobbico Field tote ultimate combo and a spinner, props<Master Airscrew 10x6 g/f nylon>, rubber bands, a cg machine, and of course the plane.

My ? is is tower right on saying that is all i will need. And what are the screw lock connectors for?
Old 11-29-2003, 01:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Please help

The screw lock connectors are to connect the push rods to the servos. You could use a "Z" bend, if you don't need to adjust it, or you could use a screw-on clevis, but if they recommend the screw lock type, then their push rods probably don't have threaded ends.

So I would say you might as well get them.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:56 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Screw lock connectors are Towers' version of EZ connectors. Either type will work OK for a trainer, but do not use them on high performance aircraft. They are well known to let the control rod slip a little or a lot at the worst possible times. They also have been known to remove themselves from the servo horn, in flight! They are not permitted on giant scale planes at IMAA events for that reason.

As your knowledge and ability increase, look into using locking clevises of one sort or another on future planes.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:14 PM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

I just put one of these together for my Dad, it is a great flying airplane.

Make sure you get some foam rubber for your receiver and battery pack, a spinner comes with the plane but it is a cheapy... I would recommend a 2" plastic great planes spinner. I would also recommend 11x5 MA props, with them it will give it a little less speed and slow it down better for landings.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:27 AM
wtb3886

ICE_MAN:

I would suggest not using any type of easy connector at ALL. Simply because of vibration and that any type of linkage like ball joints are going to vibrate loose.
If you go with a zbend you will not have to worry about this happening to your airplane.
As far as engines I would suggest any OS as long as it has a high and low end needle valve adjustment screw.
I have started a thread that you maybe interested in and it describes what is needed for field equipment.
http://www.rcwebboard.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7488
I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to send me an email.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:46 PM
FHHuber
Banned

I also recommend against the "screw lock" and similar connectors. The little plastic buttons that hold the thing on the servo arm tend to pop off in flight under high load. The screws tend to vibrate loose which allows the pushrod to slide freely. If you use Lock-Tite and the metal keeper instead of the plastic one... and you know what you are doing, then they can work OK, but I've seen too many beginner's planes lost due to those things.

You will see devices which look like the GP Screw Lock in photos of some of the 1/3 scale competition aerobatic aricraft. They aren't the same thing. The ones used in the competition aircraft are much higher quality. (and more expensive)

Ball links are a different matter... if you use a bit of Locktite on the ball retaining screw, then they practically never have problems. R/C Helis use LOTS of ball links. Nearly no slop in the linkage and high reliability. Lose a linkage in a heli and you lost the heli, so we don't mess with stuff that doesn't work.

Engines... OS FX series is great. Thunder Tiger Pro series is very good (95% of the power of the OS FX at 1/2 the cost, and they last several years) Actually, there are many good engines out there.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:29 PM
jrpnde

Sounds like Tower is looking out for your best interest and their sales. But, if you stay and progress in the hobby you'll need all that stuff and more. I'm not sure what the Hobbico tote combo comes with but the only missing item I see is something to fuel up with (electric, hand crank, bulb, etc.)
Old 12-14-2003, 12:14 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the glues and tools needed for putting the plane together!

Glues: 30 minute and 5 minute epoxy, with something to mix it on and with, (old plastic lids and wooden coffee stirrers, plus small plumbers' acid brushes). Thin CA. (Not "Superglue".)

Tools: XActo knife and extra number 11 blades. (Buy a box of 100, it's cheaper and you'll use them eventually.) Razor saw; Kona or XActo. Kona is better. Steel straight edge, 18". A ruler will work but.... Sanding block and various grits of sandpaper. (80, 120, 200, 400.) Screw drivers, small and medium sizes, both flat and phillips types. Pliers, needle nose and regular. (At least one pair with side cutters for wire.) A good set of Allen or hex wrenches. (IMO, Ball drivers are a bit better if you can find a good set.) A "Dremel" type rotary tool will help a lot if you can shell out the extra dollars.

You won't need these right now: Covering tools: A sealing iron. A Trim iron will help too if you can swing both. A Heat gun made for covering. (Blow dryers don't really get hot enough.) More of those #11 blades for your XActo knife if you didn't buy the box of 100.

Check the kit (or ARF) contents. Most will have a list of extras you'll need to buy; like wheels, fuel tank (& size), fuel line, etc...

You already have a flight box coming, and most of this stuff, but....
A gallon of 10% fuel, a fuel pump, manual or electric and fuel line (3 feet minimum),. A glow igniter with charger. Although not 'necessary', I highly recommend a 12 volt starter for the engine, because most new engines are quite hard to start with a "chicken stick", and it’s one more headache you don’t need when beginning.

If you buy a 'self contained' glow ignitor and starter, and a manual fuel pump, you won't need to buy a 12 volt battery with charger, nor a "power panel" to connect everything. (And you won't have cords dangling around your prop when trying to start the engine.)

Also get a few props of slightly different diameters and pitch (in the recommended range). You have 10 X 6's coming, which should be okay, but as was mentioned, you might want to get an 11 X 5 to try. One or two extra glow plugs should last you through the learning process.

Good luck, and have fun,
Dennis-
Old 12-14-2003, 10:56 AM
TerrellFlyer

I've seen to many of the screw lock type connectors come loose esp. on arf's,had one come loose on a combat plane throttle,so I don't even use them anywhere[:'(]
Old 12-14-2003, 11:15 AM
ICE_MAN

Thank you all! I have all the tools need <i just got a tool set for my b-day and i got a diff. one for x-mas last year to> Also i have those glues, sandpaper, nice new workbench, dremel, and a nice table vice. So I think I'm pretty well set. I've been learning the building tips and strategies on my own with a plane a fellow club member crashed then gave to me. So far i have the wing back together. Once again thank you for all the help
Old 12-14-2003, 11:49 AM
CafeenMan

I also vote a big NO on the EZ connectors. Yes, some people have had no problems with them. Yes, many people have had problems with them. There are better connectors that are far less susceptible to having problems. They've all been mentioned already, so I won't repeat it here.