Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skis/Floats on the nexSTAR?

Will floats or skis work on the Hobbico nexSTAR .46 trainer? I want fly my plane off the snow so what are the best kits for my plane with the least amount of building that work the best hahah, thats a moutful. Please give me any input and guide me to the correct manufactores and sites.

steve
    \"If the engine is the heart of the plane, the pilot is it\'s soul.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Skis/Floats on the nexSTAR?

You can put skis/floats on about any .40 class trainer. Generaly the models have abundant excess power, and have no problem with the weight and drag WHILE THE ENGINE RUNS.

The added drag will be significant... and will change the trim of the aircraft. Plan on using 1/2 your up trim (assuming the mechanical, not digital trim, and the trim tab was centered with wheels) to compensate al level cruising speed.

It is suprising, but Skis seemed to add more drag than floats when I've put them on. the skis are smaller and ligher, but seem to require more trim correction.

DuBro makes Skis for .40 size models now. These are probably better designed than the ones I made 20 years ago. However everything I have read about snow flying still says that the longer floats give better results.

Don't expect to be able to taxi out and turn using floats on snow. Carry the plane out and point it into the wind. (have a helper hold it still till ready to take off, they slide in the snow quite well.)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

great advice, going to look into those skis, do you have duBro's website adress by any chance? Thanks for the information FHH !

steve
    \"If the engine is the heart of the plane, the pilot is it\'s soul.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

www.dubro.com
    or
    http://www.shopatron.com/index/101.0 for the onlien catalog of parts