Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

starting

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: starting

My Evolution TPS .46 starts fine at 20F degrees, it hasn't deadsticked me in the 6 flights I've flown it. It can make my 69" wingspan trainer plow through 2" of slushy snow and still take off in about 20' with just wheels on the plane. I did take the baffle out and switch to a 10x6 2 blade prop for more power. I have nothing bad to say about this engine, and neither have any of the 3 instructors I've flown with. - Joe
Old 01-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Pilotsmoe

umm, It looks like he is in Hawaii. No 20 degree days there!![8D]
Old 01-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Montague

umm, It looks like he is in Hawaii. No 20 degree days there!!
I dunno, my local news was showing some folks out there playing in about 4" of snow from the last few days. Snow in HI, go figure. (I assume it was high up one of the mountains, not close to the coast).
Old 01-05-2004, 12:54 PM
cde0214

lee,

I started about 4 months ago with a OS 40la, I'll admit, it dosen't have tons of power, but it is very reliable. I've got over seventy flights on it, not one deadstick, and I'm still on the same glow plug, however I would suggest going with the .46 if you can get past the color! All of the engines you are considering are good engines, with exception of the tower and gms. (i've heard they were the same engine) There are four tower .46's at our club, and only one is even close to being dependable. Do your research and go with the one that suits your needs the best as far as weight and power. As far as radios go, I'll have to agree with everyone else, go with the most channels and features that you can afford in your budget. I was considering a simple radio at first, but a guy in our club talked me into a basic computer radio; that was the best advice I've gotten so far. The computer radio makes it easy to adjust servo travel, reversing and you can use expo. if you tend to overcontrol your plane. They also have low battery alarms, timers, memory for multiple aircraft, and some basic mixing. They are really a better value when you look at what all they offer. That's my two pennys, have fun and good luck!

P.S. Try to find a club in your area, the fellowship is part of the fun in this hobby!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 AM
KOKOMOJR5

Chimpanzee, I don't know about current production quality... I fly an old (1991) OS .40 SF Max,and it has been very reliable. It is in a 1991 Midwest Aerostar 40. I've noticed that the newer engines (OS) have fewer head bolts,and the castings are not as nice. Guess that is to be expected as companies are more likely concerned w/ production times & expenses. I also fly an Evolution .46 in a World Models T-34 Mentor. while it is a fine engine, it does not sound as crisp or seem as powerful as the SF Max. As to the radio TX question, I still use the HiTec Flash 5 (2X) of about the same age. I've had to replace a switch on one,while the other is still OK. Defective switch caused by corrosion (I fly over the ocean in Pacifica Ca.). Salt air,fog,etc. I've had 2 Hi-Tec Laser 4's fail after a couple of years, as well as 2 Hi-Tec Focus 3's. My oldest radio is a Futaba Conquest (1991) and has had years of use @ the same flying venues,and has never given me a problem. If you fly a lot of different planes ,choose a computer radio that has a lot of model memory. Also, features like expo,dual rates,endpoint adj. various mixes,etc. are quite handy. Good luck & have fun tearing up the sky.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 AM
flyX

Get a .46 size engine The LA are sleeve bearings and the others are ball bearings.

I started with a .46 magnum..not a problem ..you just have to make sure the carb
gets secure. I'm not sure if magnun changed the design

There's nothing wrong with a Magnum or Tower. Just take the baffling out. You'll get more power if noise is not a factor.
Seal them and inspect the barbs/ninple for the fuel line.
I clean out the burrs on one of the nipple on a .46 tower..no problems. You just have to know how to tune it and know what's up.lol

I got my magnum .52 on sale for $65
The TT .46 is good too..

If you can afford an OS ball bearing go with that. You don't have to mess with
the OS as much because the way the crab is design. Plus they have more power.
A lot of it has to do with the carb design.

There's nothing wrong with the LA for trainers or 4 star. They are reliable just not enough
power incase you want to make a leap to a hotter model.

the only problem with rear needle valve is when you crash the bracket breaks easily

Get a computer Radio with the more then four chanels and all the extras if you
can afford it up front. it'll save you more money later.
trust me..you'll love the the extra features..plus U should always have a dual rates.

Incase you want to go into Heli..you'll need more than 4 channel. All you have to
do is remove the throttle click of ma loo.lol You can use it as a started TX..
plus a PC TX is really, really nice to have when setting up a heli.

I have all brands..but most of my equipment are futaba so i went with futaba.
Tower's radio are futaba.lol just peel off the sticker on the servo and you'll see futaba.
Hitec is compatiable with futaba.

Don't sweat the $10, $20..lol you'll spend a lot more..welcome to the hobbie

when you buy more flight packs later on..just buy a complete 4 channels radio set.
you'll have extra TX battery, TX, charger.

Order an instructor if you can, if not..get a spad or a duraplane...trust me you're going to crash
without an instructor...Sims will help you...but the model arn't trim at first in real life R/C .lol
Plus you might get a flame out becuase you're new at tuning engines.lol