Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

San Diego

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 01:21 PM
halfdome89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Diego

Hello all-

Just curious if there is anyone in the San Diego area that would be willing to help a beginner get started. Im 14 and the name is Adam. Currently the budget is a bit short because i am financing a trip to Germany in June so i won't be purchasing anything fancy until that's all paid for. I am interested in glow power planes and would like my first plane to be between $350 and $450 (net cost; radio, engine, etc.) and also be a good trainer yet be able to keep me occupied for many years.

Thanks,
Adam [sm=cool.gif]
Old 12-30-2003, 02:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: San Diego

HI HALF DOME! Go out to TORREY PINES STATE PARK AND CHECK OUT THE SLOPE SOARING ! This is going to be a cheap and quick way to get started. The EPP FOAM gliders are very crash resistant, and you will be amazed at how helpfull alot of those guys are with newcomers. Seek out someone who is having fun out there for advise. Join the AMA for insurance. Bring a notepad and a TOWER HOBBIES CATALOG with you to get specific recommendations. Too many flyers of gas models aren't confident in their ability to control a dead stick model when the time comes and have to remember to bring a spare pair of clean underwear when they go flying. Learning to fly on unpowered and underpowered planes teaches you that power is a luxury, not a necessity to land safely. GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-30-2003, 03:43 PM
BGR

There is a nice RC flying club in north San Diego county at the intersection of the 15 Freeway and Highway 76, the Oceanside Pala offramp. They have a very nice field for fixed wing, choppers and are currently building a car track. If you turn off the 15 onto hwy 76 they are in the north east corner of the intersection.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

The field BGR is referring to is the Palomar RC Flyers field. www.palomarrcflyers.org It is a very nice field with a lot of great people... me included! There is a turnkey trainer package (plane, radio, etc) ready to fly on the for sale board there right now. I think it's $300.

A club that is closer to you is the Weedwackers field. It's over in Lakeside by the high school (El Capitan, I think). That is also a very good club. If you find a member here called Razor-RCU, PM him and he will give you details about that club.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:08 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There also used to be one near Monument Park South of Impreial Beach. I flew there in the 70's
Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 PM
cougar27mtr
My Feedback: (2)

Hey mike!?!?! Who told you that you are nice???? :-) Your baby is cute.. Hope all is going well for you. I know it is hard for the first one? Enjoy it while you have it.. Pizazz is too much fun.. Thanks again.. When are you going flying again at palomar?