Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What radio to begin with

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
Six is good - get the JR6102
21.43%
Six is good, but get the Futaba 6XAPS
30.95%
Six is not enough - you'll outgrow it - get an 8/9 channel
26.19%
Get the crappy 4 channel now and buy a 6/8/9 with your 2nd plane
16.67%
I'm a crazy man - I'd tell you to buy the baddest no matter what
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

What radio to begin with

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Patrick_William

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What radio to begin with

I'm looking to get started. I pretty much know what plane and engine I want (Avistar 40 with an OS46AX engine), but I'm debating on the radio. I want something that I'm not going to outgrow and have to buy another one, but I don't want to lay down $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a big over-the-top radio. Right now, I'm looking at the JR6102, which is a six-channel. My main question is how many channels do I realistically need to get so I don't have to worry about out growing it? If I get a six-channel, will I just be spending too much money for a trainer radio and then end up wanting a better radio when I get more advanced anyway?

Thanks for the help,
Patrick
Old 01-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What radio to begin with

It all depends on your finances as you stated. You will be able to use any 6 channel radio for a long time. And you may never out grow it. Depends on the direction that you take in the hobby. Even then you may not need more then 6 channels. Look at the computer power of the transmitter. The more it has to offer, memory,functions like mixing the longer you will hang on to it. And that doesn't mean you need to buy the most expensive one out there either.
Thank about what you want to do down the road!!! [&:]
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Futaba 9C all the way! best investment I've ever made!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:53 PM
mstroh3961

Futaba 9C all the way! best investment I've ever made!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:04 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Six channels is plenty and will be for a very long time. As long as your not going to get into helis. Either the JR or Futaba 6 channels are fine. I fly at Arvada Aeromodlers sight in Jefferson county. Some of the JR guys say they take hits occasionaly even though I've never seen it. I'm using the very inexpensive Fut. 6exa and love it. The 6X transmitter has more mixability but I really didn't need it. The 6EXA with its wing mixes( Elevon, Flaperon,V-tail, V-tail+flaperon) and one completly programable mix is all I'll ever need.

Daren - Arvada Colorado
Old 01-18-2004, 08:10 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Go with the JR. With 10 model memory and the on board pooter, you won't outgrow it any time soon. I've been flying 7ch for years and even with the giant gassers, I only use six. If you foresee bomb bay doors, flaps, retracts and on board starter; then go for the 9 or 10.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Woodsy

Non computer Hitec laser 6

computer
HiTec flash 5 or Eclipse 7
Old 01-18-2004, 08:18 PM
wings

Take a look at the Futaba 6EXA.

Thats what I have. I like it. The only thing I don't like is that it does not have dual rates on the rudder. That would be really handy on take off.

Wings
Old 01-19-2004, 09:07 AM
Patrick_William

bump
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been flying for well over 30 years. I fly everything from Pattern, to trainers, to Giant Scale Aerobatics, and I have never found the need for more than 6 channels.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:01 AM
CRFlyer

This is mostly a preference issue. A good 6 channel radio will do everything you need it to for years to come. The more expensive radios have more mixing capabilities which could be nice, but are probably not necessary. I have two computerized 6 channel radios and am happy with them. I would like to "upgrade" to a more advanced radio someday, but I have to admit that the reason is more for a status reason than for a need. I can't really afford another radio, so I will be staying with what I have.

In my opinion, to save $$$ now, get either of the 6 channel radios you were looking at and go fly. In a few years, if your $$$ situation improves, then you can consider more radio if you want. But a 6 channel will fly most any plane you are likely to consider anytime soon.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:21 AM
Balsa Master

buy the best TX with the most chanels you can afford, even if it means not gettign a plane for a while. this will prevent you from having to constantly upgrade TX every plane you get. ( i went the other rout and started wiht a 4... now im building my corsair and the 4 aint gonna cut it.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:31 AM
klumsy_kid
My Feedback: (14)

Here is what I tell prospective flyers.

Think about starting out with a decent 4 channel radio. This should be plenty good enough for your first and second plane.

When you are ready for an advanced radio, go with a Hitec 5x or Eclipse.

To my way of thinking, electronics hardware changes pretty rapidly (look at computers). In a couple of years there can be significant changes that make that Super Multi 10 channel radio you started with on your 4 channel trainer and second plane look to be out of date when you get around to needing those extra features.

Then again, everybody has there own take on things like this.

Take care
Old 01-19-2004, 12:01 PM
CP140

If you haven't got your heart set on JR/Futaba, take a look at the Airtronics RD6000. I've got one and love it!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Patrick_William

Thanks for all the replies. Everyone brings a good point to the table, which oddly enough, maybe makes it as hard or harder than it was to start with = ). I guess the final answer is that it's my preference, but with a few more people favoring the 6-channel radios. The point about advancing technologies is a good one and it's actually one I was thinking about when I put up the cheap 4-channel option. I guess this one is really pretty dependent on how quickly I advance through planes. The new JR6102 looks to have some pretty good computer features - are those going to still be the way to go when I get to the point where I actually want to use them? Is it worth the extra expense to buy a cheap one now and replace it with whatever's shiniest when I get there? Am I going to want the shiny new one when I get there anyway, regardless of what I get now?

Heh... it seems I can't really go completely wrong with any of the options, just that some may be a bit more optimized than the others. I'm leaning towards the JR6102 and am seeing myself getting more and more set on it. It seems like most are happy with 6 channels and I think I can reasonably expect to be pretty happy with 6 myself, at least for a decent stretch into the future.

More comments/opinions are certainly welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I agree that all you'll probably need is 6 channels. I switched to the Futaba 9C for 2 reasons, 8 Model memories (14 with CAMPAC Module) and electronic trims.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Denjones

Another thing to consider: What transmitter is the most popular at your club. It's easy to get help programming it if others in your club are familiar with it. If you buy an Airtonics (no knock) and nobody in your club has one, you're on your own. Canvas the club members. I started with the Futaba 6xas and love it. I have used it on four planes and still it will do most everything I want. It will do everything I need. Although after flying for four years I do have a Hanger 9 UltraStik and I wish I had more channels so I could use the crow feature without using two switches. I have it set up with flaps and airbrakes but have to hit both switches to activate crow and sometimes it's clumbsy.

Definitely get a computer radio!

Denny Jones
Davison, MI
Old 01-19-2004, 02:33 PM
MinnFlyer

Here's my only beef with newbies and fancy radios. The more switches and knobs you have, the more likely you are to accidentally hit one. You will have your hands full already just learning to fly, the last thing you need is to get button happy, or to turn something on or off accidentally.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:52 PM
KidVermin

Hey Mike, was that you laughing from the pits when I was coming in and went to reach for the flaps landing switch and hit the snap roll switch on the way ? Wasn't THAT funny or pretty either. Lesson : don't do that at 5 ft. altitude.

Patrick: If you're really sure you'll stick with it; go with your gut feeling. Otherwise, settle for the 4ch till you get to your 3rd plane.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:58 PM
RVator

I bought a hitec laser 4 for my first radio for $119.00. Thats about all a flight pack would cost. Then I bought a used Futaba 6xas for $50 and a new flight pack for my next plane. Now I have a buddy box and have flown about 10 people on my trainer. I plan to keep my trainer and the 4 channel stays with it. Not bad for just 119.00.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:46 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

I'm going to give you logical advice. For a first plane why not buy a 4 channel radio? On your second plane buy the nice radio. The servos, Rx, TX and battery cost almost the same as the price of a flight pack. Since you need a flight pack for your second plane the cost about balances out and you have a backup, foul weather, tx to use on a sim that you aren't worried about. Basicly you end up with a free transmitter.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:05 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Here's my only beef with newbies and fancy radios. The more switches and knobs you have, the more likely you are to accidentally hit one. You will have your hands full already just learning to fly, the last thing you need is to get button happy, or to turn something on or off accidentally.
Not only that, but adjustments often need to made during the first few flights on a new model. If the instructor doesn't know how to work that particular model of radio and the student doesn't know either, it makes for a short day at the field. If you're going to buy a computer radio, read the manual and make sure you know how to use it.

I think the most important thing in choosing your first radio is making sure that it provides you with a good training experience. If you can't buddy box with your instructor that's not going to be as easy. If your club/instructor has the equipment to buddy box with different brands than it opens up more options. There's no real function difference between Airtronics/Futaba/Hitec/JR when it comes to basic 4-channel radios.

When you move up a bit, there are some differences. Some people are very brand-loyal, but I think that is nothing more than a way to limit your choices. What are your goals for the hobby, and how many models will you realistically be flying in the next 2-3 years? How much money do you have to spend?

When you figure those out it'll point you towards either a basic 4, a low-end computer 6, or one of the more advanced computer 6s. The low-end doesn't have as many options or model memories. Back in 2000 I got my first computer radio, an RD6000. I was trying to decide between it and a 6XAS. The Airtronics had a few things that made it stand out--a timer, model names (not just numbers), and a "real" helicopter mode. The 6XAS was long in the tooth back then, and is more so today. Futaba will likely replace it with something new soon, so if you have the option of waiting why not see what comes out in the next few months? The 6102 looks to be a good radio, though I don't have any experience with it.

The idea of one radio lasting a long time doesn't seem realistic to me, but then again I'm a person who likes bells and whistles. There is always some new function, feature, or method of doing things. The firmware/software in most radios isn't upgradable, so obsolecense is built in. I went from the RD6000 to a JR 783, then to an analog 8103, and now a digital 8103. When the US version of the 9X is announced this spring I'll look at it. I really could use a 9th channel for the helicopter...

One of the advantages of a basic 4 channel is that when you do outgrow it, you've got a buddy box readily available to teach your friends with. I kept an old Airtronics Vanguard around when I used my RD6000, and I've got a JR 421ex now.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Jinkers

One more thought for ya...

Check with you local club and see if they have training radios available, or if one of thier instructors has a second radio that you can use until you learn to fly and have an idea of what you think you want/need.

My Opinion if your going to buy one...

6 Channels is all you will need for most applications (as stated above if you plan to get into helis, retracts, flaps, etc, get 9). But get one with all the channel mixing and programmable posibilities available (make sure it has dual rate rudder!). You wont use them at first but on your second, third, fourth planes you may very well want those functions and having them will extend the usefull life of your radio.

-Jinks
Old 01-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: rreiss

Hey Mike, was that you laughing from the pits when I was coming in and went to reach for the flaps landing switch and hit the snap roll switch on the way ? Wasn't THAT funny or pretty either. Lesson : don't do that at 5 ft. altitude.

Patrick: If you're really sure you'll stick with it; go with your gut feeling. Otherwise, settle for the 4ch till you get to your 3rd plane.
HEHE I did that with a bomb drop But for the newbies at liest I am sure with the JR is you can disable all the switches and it will work as a standard radio and you can flip switches all you want and nothing will change unless you program it to, I'm sure the futaba can also do this but I have not delt with one personally. But my vote is also with the 6ch computer radio, I started with a 4 ch and 3 months later I was getting a JR 652 and it lasted me for a while but eventually I got the JR 8103 and have used it with no regrets of buying it ever.

Dauntae
Old 01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

I am sure with the JR is you can disable all the switches and it will work as a standard radio and you can flip switches all you want and nothing will change

Dauntae
The only problem with that theory is that it's like giving a kid a Ferrari and then telling him not to drive over 40 MPH. You KNOW it just ain't gonna happen.

ORIGINAL: MikeL

The idea of one radio lasting a long time doesn't seem realistic to me
Hey Mike, you've apparently never seen my dad fly! LOL, He's still using some of the old Futaba Gold Boxes with "G" plugs!

ORIGINAL: rreiss

Hey Mike, was that you laughing from the pits when I was coming in and went to reach for the flaps landing switch and hit the snap roll switch on the way ?
No, that was me laughing when my brother did the same thing about 11 years ago. Funniest part about it was, he didn't crash, and managed to recover. After his heart rate went back down to normal, he said, " Ok, let's try that landing again". Then he proceeded to hit the snaproll switch AGAIN!

I laughed my ***** off. Once he finally got down, he immediately disabled the snaproll switch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.