Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Would you join a club that drinks alcohol while flying?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Would you join a club that drinks alcohol while flying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Skribnod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you join a club that drinks alcohol while flying?

Just wanted to post a question as to who would join a club where the participants drink while flying their rc airplanes. I was asked to join one but I know the members drink while flying and didnt want to be part of that. If It is not at a AMA field, are they still in the wrong? When they do go to the AMA field they do not drink. Thanks
Old 01-21-2004, 02:17 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Would you join a club that drinks alcohol while flying?

All I will say is would you get into a car with someone who is drinking, These planes can kill a person and criminal offences can be brought up if a plane hurts someone, Stay as far from this group as you can.

Just my $.02
Dauntae
Old 01-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stupidity, idiocy, and insanity. Would you normally associate with people that exibited those tendencies?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:12 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Drinking is a pretty broad term and should probably be defined a bit better. Would I be nervous about somebody having a bottle of beer on a hot day? Nope, and I've done it myself. If they're consuming enough to be dangerous that's a completely different subject.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GOOD ADVIC DAUNT_ _ _! WHOA!!!!! ALL OF A SUDDN I CAN'T US 5TH, 6TH, 13TH & 18TH LATTARS OV ALPHABADT! DAY TAK US TO ANNODA PLAC ON DIS PUTA! WHA HOPPN? ANYBODY GOT ANY IDS? DIS WAS HRD TO TYP WIDOUT UZING DOS LADDARS TOO!! GOT OUT FO A BIT TO C WHA IT DOS ON DA
PLAIN OLD PUTR ...DID OK ON DAR. SO TILL I GIT IT FIGURD OUT,
GOODNIGHT GUYS!
G_AMPAW....
Old 01-21-2004, 04:00 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WELL WHADDA YOU KNOW, ITS GONE! As you can see, I'm using the E, F, M and R keys now to type with and its working alright now! Still don't know what caused the problem! I intended to add the following to my previous post: many
years back several of us flew together out of a friends pasture. We weren't AMA, but we laid down some ground rules and the first item was NO DRINKING while "anyone" was flying. Now there's a lot of guys down here that love their beer, and our bunch was no exception, but not one had any objections. Yet almost all had a six pak in an ice chest in his car or truck. All afternoon no one popped a can, but when we quit for the day, and the last plane was down and put away, and all the flightboxes secured the ice chests came out, and for an hour or so we sat around rehashing the day's events or poking fun of each other's flying. They were a good bunch of guys, and I miss 'em!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:36 AM
Jimmbbo

A nice cold beer on a 100 degree day - you bet!!! a six pack - no way...

How bout personal responsibilty instead of kneejerk laws.... Nah, I forgot... personal responsibility is dead.... Think I'll have a beer...

Biggest issue may be that your AMA insurance is void if you're drinking... and in today's litigious society, you'd lose your house, car and have your wages garnished IF you caused harm or damage... Of course, if you somehow managed NOT to clobber someone, no worries....

Jim
Old 01-21-2004, 07:12 AM
aimmaintenance

Sounds like my kind of club!
In all reality though if the club isn't AMA and all that, and your an adult, then it's really up to you.
When I do fly at a local club I take a cooler of beer for when I'm done.
When I fly at home it's a teensie bit different.
Quite frankly though I'd lay a dollar to a doughnut that on about any given summer Saturday afternoon, 25% of the guys at any club in the nation have been at home sippin on beers all day while they loaded their truck with their gear and worked on their honeydo list before goin to the field.
I see it at one of the fields I fly at. Of course, most of them will deny it, but if you were to watch closely you'll see it.
(for the record, I belong to this group)
Am I sayin that it's right. NO
I am saying though that I don't think it's as big of a deal that alot of people make it out to be.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:12 AM
TerrellFlyer

No way would I belong to a flying club that allowed drinking on the grounds,love my beer as much as the next person but I've seen to many times what only one cold beer can do to a person's think tank.[:-]
Old 01-21-2004, 10:17 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: aimmaintenance

I am saying though that I don't think it's as big of a deal that alot of people make it out to be.
It's not??? It's a mind-altering drug and you're flying a missile. I don't like being around people who are drinking anywhere. They act like fools, think they're funny (they're not except to other alcoholics). But as long as they stay in their yards and away from dangerous activities, it's their choice.

But when they start doing things that could endanger other people, then I have an issue with and so should everyone else. I'm really fed up with hearing, "It wasn't my fault - I was drunk" as an excuse for everything from pregnancy to manslaughter. They say they toughen the laws and give someone who kills somebody when DUI a whopping 6 months of suspended license. I'm thinking more like 15-20 years prison would be tough and fair.

If you drink while you're flying an R/C plane, you're irresponsible. No amount of rationalizing it is going to change that fact. If you want something to drink on a "hot" day then drink water to hydrate yourself. Alcohol dehydrates you so it's a lame excuse to drink at best.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:35 AM
onytay
My Feedback: (1)

while flying, no way in HELL, after EVERYONE is through, bring em on!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:15 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

It's not??? It's a mind-altering drug and you're flying a missile. I don't like being around people who are drinking anywhere. They act like fools, think they're funny (they're not except to other alcoholics). But as long as they stay in their yards and away from dangerous activities, it's their choice.

But when they start doing things that could endanger other people, then I have an issue with and so should everyone else. I'm really fed up with hearing, "It wasn't my fault - I was drunk" as an excuse for everything from pregnancy to manslaughter. They say they toughen the laws and give someone who kills somebody when DUI a whopping 6 months of suspended license. I'm thinking more like 15-20 years prison would be tough and fair.

If you drink while you're flying an R/C plane, you're irresponsible. No amount of rationalizing it is going to change that fact. If you want something to drink on a "hot" day then drink water to hydrate yourself. Alcohol dehydrates you so it's a lame excuse to drink at best.
You have made the jump from having a drink to getting drunk. The question was about drinking at the field, not about getting drunk at the field.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:20 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: P-51B
You have made the jump from having a drink to getting drunk. The question was about drinking at the field, not about getting drunk at the field.
One drink is one drink too many. As I said, alcohol is a mind-altering drug. There are those who say one beer doesn't affect them. All that means to me is that they drink too much in general.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:49 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying RC is much more demanding on your mind than driving. Especially constant aerobatics which is how I fly. My club doesn't allow acohol on property of the field. I wouldn't go near anyone that was flying after they had consumed even one drink. In fact I thought this thread was a joke at first, because the answer is so obvious.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:50 PM
P-51B

One drink is one drink too many. As I said, alcohol is a mind-altering drug. There are those who say one beer doesn't affect them. All that means to me is that they drink too much in general.

So then, what about coffee. It contains caffeen, yet another drug...would you say that you shouldn't drink coffee when at the flying field?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:54 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

We're similar...

No beer or any 'mind altering' substances while flying, or during your flying session (meaning the day / time spent you intend to fly..)

Once your plane is packed, and the radio locked away... Party till your heart desires!
Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 PM
CafeenMan

So then, what about coffee. It contains caffeen, yet another drug...would you say that you shouldn't drink coffee when at the flying field?
No, and I'm not going to get into a battle of semantics over this one either. I've said what I believe and no amount of debate is going to change it, so no point in trying to convince me. Everyone has their say though.

People who drink responsibly won't fly. People who aren't responsible make excuses, change the topic or rationalize. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:59 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would I join, no.

Our club is in a public park surrounded by the City of Oklahoma City, which is in the middle of the bible belt. Even though Oklahoma beer is 3.2% and therefore non alcoholic we have opted to present the best possible image in that alcoholic beverages, including all forms of beer are not allowed at the flying field at all. This includes even after all flying is done. You come to the field to fly not drink. You want to drink, go to a bar or home.

Tom S
Old 01-21-2004, 12:59 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Flying RC is much more demanding on your mind than driving. Especially constant aerobatics which is how I fly. My club doesn't allow acohol on property of the field. I wouldn't go near anyone that was flying after they had consumed even one drink. In fact I thought this thread was a joke at first, because the answer is so obvious.
In addition to that, if I knew somebody was drinking I would first address it with that person. If that didn't work, I would address it with club officers. If that didn't work, I would address it with the AMA that the club is allowing people to drink and fly. They are putting mine and others' safety at risk and I shouldn't have to leave because of an irresponsible person or have to find a new place to fly when they screw up and we lose the field.

An eye opener

http://www.madd.org/stats/0,1056,1298,00.html
Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
aimmaintenance

I'm thinkin hard on my response.............

This is a very enticing debate..............

"Only alchoholics think drunk people are funny." Hmmm

"Give someone who kills with a DUI 15-20 years."
Again I wasn't talking drunk. I said drinking.
In Ohio you are not LEGALLY drunk until you have a BAC of .1.
Drinking and then driving is NOT against the law.
Driving under the influence (.1 BAC or more) IS against the law.
I would be suprised if the AMA could deny coverage if you were below the legal limit in your state. (I don't know this for sure I'm just guessing)

"If you drink while you're flying an R/C plane, you're irresponsible. No amount of rationalizing it is going to change that fact."
That my friend is an OPINION. Not a FACT.

"If you want something to drink on a "hot" day then drink water to hydrate yourself. Alcohol dehydrates you so it's a lame excuse to drink at best."
Maybe some people just plain like the stuff.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
P-51B

No, and I'm not going to get into a battle of semantics over this one either. I've said what I believe and no amount of debate is going to change it, so no point in trying to convince me. Everyone has their say though.

People who drink responsibly won't fly. People who aren't responsible make excuses, change the topic or rationalize. It's as simple as that.
Not trying to make excuses or change the topic. Just wanted to verify that your a hypocrite. You have said that it is o.K. to drink a beverage that contains a drug, just as long as it's not alchohol.

Sounds like your just anti-alchohol and not for safe flying. I know if I drink a cup of standard coffee I can certainly feel the effect of the caffein.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:12 PM
CafeenMan

That my friend is an OPINION. Not a FACT.

Anything anyone says is opinion. I don't think there's going to be a lot of support for drinking and flying.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:13 PM
MustangFan

I wish this would have been a Yes/No poll.

Then we would not have had "as much" rhetoric.

All I can say is some people are no safer sober than after having a drink.
If they have too many drinks, then they would become careless or "more" reckless.

If it's an AMA club ... I think drinking is forbidden.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:15 PM
CafeenMan

Not trying to make excuses or change the topic. Just wanted to verify that your a hypocrite.
Good job! You did it!

Sounds like your just anti-alchohol and not for safe flying.in.
Yes, I am anti-alcohol. I just don't like stupid people and I don't know anyone who is intelligent enough to afford to kill their brain cells.

Yes, I strongly advocate safe flying.

No, I'm not getting into a ridiculous debate about caffeine. But, I will do a search to see what kind of stats I come up with for caffeine being involved in accidents, violent crime, etc. to see if it has any merit.

- Paul
Old 01-21-2004, 01:20 PM
CafeenMan

OK, I found this on the first page of google:

http://www.caffeine.zeonhost.com/information.php

Coffee consumption has also been proven to reduce car accidents. It is encouraged for tired drivers to take a thirty minute break during the course of driving long distances, especially during the evening hours; during this break the driver should drink two caffeinated coffees (150mgs of caffeine) and possibly take a short rest. The caffeine together with the rest should supply the driver with enough energy to prevent possibly car crashes caused by non-alert drivers.
Good enough for me. I'm going to call the AMA and lobby for them to require all pilots to consume caffeine 30 minutes before they arrive at the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.