Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How effective are Flight Simulators...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How effective are Flight Simulators...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Noir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How effective are Flight Simulators...

I'm about to start my training, and went to the air field recently. I asked a few people how long did it take them to solo. The answers varied obviously, but one guy said in only 2 flights. I asked how did he accomplish this so quick, and he said that for a month he'd been working out on nexstar's flight sim, and that it kept him from crashing as well.

Do these simulators translate into better pilots, and cut down your learning curve significantly??? I'll get one if you guys thinks so. Look forward to your opinions.

Noir
Old 01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Dewalt17

Default RE: How effective are Flight Simulators...

The answer is YES!!!!!!! YES,YES,YES!!!!!!

I have a guy at my field who has been on a buddy box for 6 months. I have a Nexstar and used the sim for a month before flying. My instructor never took the controls from day one. Im not saying everyone will pick it up this fast, but it will DRAMATICALLY cut your learning curve.

Get the sim, it will be the best money you will ever spend!!!!!! Or buy the Nexstar and you will have one already.(sim limited to only the Nexstar)

Sean
Old 01-22-2004, 02:34 PM
d-oechsle
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying planes for 14 yrs. and I really like my Great Planes simulator I just bought. The hardest part to learn about flying r/g planes is getting the eye hand coordination .It is exactly the same on a simulator when flying from a view from the ground. You will have to focus on thinking you are in the plane to adjust which way to react.I got a little rusty myself because I have not been able to fly last year,so I wanted to freshen up myself.I think it's well worth the money
Old 01-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Flydenfeld

I have flown flight simulators for years to practice full scale flight techniques. One of the things I used to do when I was bored was fly the plane from an external view point on the runway, so it was like R/C flying. Funny trying to land a 757 from an r/c perspective. Anyway, the biggest help for me towards real r/c flying is the practicing of dealing with right/left reversal when the plane is comming at you, as well as lining up with the runway while standing off to the side.

This type of practice can be done in x-plane (i d/l'ed the demo at www.x-plane.com), MS flightsim, and of course the specific r/c sims out there. I've never used any of the specific r/c sims, but i guess their advantage over full scale simware is that it is designer for r/c flying, including using your own radio rather than a joystick.

If you do have a full scale sim on your computer, select the stationary outside view (not the outside view that chases the plane) and try that out.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:58 PM
wrongwaywayne

I've only been flying for a year. Realflight is great. It helps to connect your thumbs to your brain. At the field you maybe get 40 minutes max of airtime. If you only go once per week - it is not enough to really improve. It really does work. I've tried all the free ones and they arent up to the task. Too fake.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:07 PM
CRFlyer

I have been flying for about 6 years now and have never owned a simulator. I have used one several times, and my brother owns real flight G2 which I borrowed for a couple months once, but it was not something I would put down $200 for.

I agree that if you don't have much/any rc experience, then it would help as it does teach you the control movements that are needed to fly. But in my experience, the planes on the simulator do not fly the same as they do in real life.

Thus, it is my opinion that you are better off applying the money you would spend on a simulator towards a real plane and go at it.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Crashem

If you can comfortably afford both the plane and necessary gear and a flight simulator the I'd say go for it. If you can't then get the plane and gear.

One of my pet peeves is the guy that comes to field with the most expensive radio engine and no flight gear what so ever. Then proceeds to walk up and down the pitts borrowing the essentials.

Before anybody flames me I'm not talking about the average beginner I'm talking about the beginner with the with the 400.00 radio and 200.00 engine mounted in his trainer that then crys poor when asked why they don't go out and get there own hot shot and spare props etc...
Old 01-22-2004, 03:16 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Flight sims are very helpful at learning how to FLY. Not so good at learning how to take off or land.

There is a problem with maintaining your orientation as to where the plane is compared to the runway. The Flight sim puts you in a tunnel vision mode and you have no way to use peripheral vision or even body orientation (it automaticly swivels you like you were on a turntable) to judge WHERE the airplane is. You just have a passable idea of if its high and if its close to you or not.

Its impossible to hit yourself with the simulator. this is FAR from reality with the model.

The simulator never has a problem starting the engine.

I have seen a couple of simulators that scattered pieces when you crashed, and one even used to give a repair cost estimate. (the scattering pieces... I used to see how big a debris field I could make )

The simulatrs don't properly reperesent grond turbulence. Ground turbulence is a minor factor in winds under 5 mph... but here in TX, it you can't handle 10 to 20 (gsts to 30) you don't fly much.

RE the field equipment: Untill you solo, you don't need to own a glow ignitor. If the instructor isn't there, you shouldn't be running the engine (because then you'll be temted to taxi... then taxi fast... then suddenly you have the darn thing in the air... 5 to 30 sec and you have toothpicks.)
Old 01-22-2004, 04:02 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

It helped me a lot. I bought a used lite version of G2.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:24 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Sim are an enourmous help. Not only for beginners but experienced pilots as well. I used a sim when I was learning how to fly. It gave me stick time that is critical to learning. Later, I used it to correct a bad habit I had after exiting spins which caused my real plane to crash. I also used it to learn slow rolls, rolling circles, rolling loops and torque rolling. The sim isn't perfect, and it doesn't alwasy properly represent what a real plane would do, but it is close enough that it represents a great tool every pilot should have.

G2 is good, but there are other sims available, such as Ikarus, Dave Brown, etc. I think there are even some free ones if you hunt around. Even a free, not totally realistic sim will offer useful stick time.

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Shamas

Ok, a flight Sim is good however...
I'm currently contemplating a NexStar or a Xtra Easy II.
The big advantage of the NexStar is the Flight Simulator package. However you must buy the whole thing, can't buy the Transmitter and Simulator alone.
I don't see Xtra Easy II on the Real Flight list of aircraft. What on their list is similar? How similar is similar?
The Xtra probably has a more versitile radio, the engine I'm not sure, OS Max used to be the best, a looong time ago.
The NexStar sounds like a no brainer, but you gotta spend $400 to try out the F. S..
I'd love to spend an hour a day on the F. S. but the $400..........................
Old 01-22-2004, 05:26 PM
nilo

I started on this hobby in the winter, so no one available to be my instructor.
I used the FMS sim for a month after trying to fly three times and almost crashing. I can't say the date I soloed, since all flights since the first were by myself, but after the sim, my coordination was so improved that I flew nice, even hadling dead stick very often. Just the landing need to be improved right now.
I strongly recomend you use a simulator and a instructor as well, if available.

FMS is for free at http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

I just bought an interface from my TX to USB port($50 for JR radio).

Nilo
Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

In my opinion Real FLight is really the way to go. I have spent countless hours on it and my flying is all the better. My first two flight I crashed, then I bought the simulator and since using it I have yet to even come close to a crash. In fact after a few weeks of flying my trainer I am already getting board with it and wishing that I had a cap 232 or the Ryan that I enjoy flying so much on the simulator. In fact, after having Real Flight for a few months I can even do some pretty fancy 3D manuevers. Of course there is a little difference betwen the simulaotr and the real thing, but they sure are close! For Real Flight you are talking $120 for the lite and $200 for the full but I promise you your flying will be much more rewarding and it will probably save you money in the long run on fixing planes.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:05 PM
zetor

They are not so realistic that you need to worry about a particular trainer model not being included in the sim. The one I have has a high wing trainer (they call it a pt40) but it doesn't matter. Trainers don't fly that much different anyway. That's what everyone says anyway.
ORIGINAL: Shamas

Ok, a flight Sim is good however...
I'm currently contemplating a NexStar or a Xtra Easy II.
The big advantage of the NexStar is the Flight Simulator package. However you must buy the whole thing, can't buy the Transmitter and Simulator alone.
I don't see Xtra Easy II on the Real Flight list of aircraft. What on their list is similar? How similar is similar?
The Xtra probably has a more versitile radio, the engine I'm not sure, OS Max used to be the best, a looong time ago.
The NexStar sounds like a no brainer, but you gotta spend $400 to try out the F. S..
I'd love to spend an hour a day on the F. S. but the $400..........................
Old 01-22-2004, 09:46 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Even the MicroSoft Flight Simulator (full scale) can be useful. The Cessna 182 flies a lot like a trainer. Fly from tower view.

Most trainers fly close enough to the same that you can use the simulator's GP PT-40 or the Kadet LT-40 or any other .40 size trainer (whatever it has, doesn't matter), and consider it the same as that Nextar.

REalizim of the sims is really not bad. For example i downloaded a Tiger Moth aircraft profile for the Microsoft Flight Sim 97... and it reacted at full throtle exactly as my GeeBee tiger moth (kit, .25-.40 size) reacted at 3/4 throttle.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

No doubt, Realflight is a very valuble learning tool. as someone stated earlier it really helps the eye - hand coordination. I had agreat instructor but the time spent on realflight helped me to solo much quicker.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Mike in DC

I love the sim. I can tell you I would never have learned to fly inverted without the sim. At the field, I'd roll over, and immediately panic and roll back. So I spent maybe an hour or so with the sim, until the panic eased. When I got to the field, the plane behaved almost exactly like it did on the sim. Personally, I'd rather practice out on the field with a real plane, but if you have the patience and dedication to stay with the sim (which I find very boring), you can definitely learn a lot.

I agree with FHHuber that the sim is less useful for landings and take-off, which is really what a beginner should be concentrating on. For those skills, you need to learn to estimate air speed, ground speed, and orient the plane with the runway, none of which the sim helps much with. Another thing the sim doesn't help much with is seeing the plane. At the fields where I fly, the sun can hit the plane in a way that makes appear to reverse orientation (I call it the Escher effect). This is REALLY disconcerting for a beginner, and the sim doesn't really help with it.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Lefte
My Feedback: (1)

Absolutly.

In fact it has saved me from thousands of dollard worth of crashes, of course you STILL need to have an instructor or someone to help you on your first couple of flights. That along with the software should make it a great day at the field.

Lefty[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-23-2004, 10:06 PM
parchafly

Very effective.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:00 AM
nitrobasher

iv actually never flown before but im pretty sure i could fly pretty well on my own iv been playin realflight G2 for atleast 3 months now ... im not sure tho hehe
Old 01-24-2004, 01:10 AM
zetor

You probably could.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:22 AM
DownSideUp

nitrobasher, I would bet as much as you want that G2 is NOT going to turn you into a pilot.

That computer program is really great, but there is nothing better than being attached to a buddy cord with a pilot that knows what he's doing.

I have seen time and time again many newbies that show up at the field that say they've been on the simulator, and they can't fly for a hill of beans. I've never used a sim and I'm glad I didn't spend $250 on one. Learn the old fashioned way. DO IT YOURSELF. That simulator is never going to teach you how to land, I guarantee it!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 02:51 AM
zetor

Which is it, not worth a hill of beans or great? It taught me how to fly. I may not be qualified to talk about many things on here but if there is anything I am qualified to post a follow up on, it's this. You don't have to spend 250.00. I paid 85.00 for a used g2 lite. Some are free. Your guarantee doesn't hold up.
ORIGINAL: orangeman

nitrobasher, I would bet as much as you want that G2 is NOT going to turn you into a pilot.

That computer program is really great, but there is nothing better than being attached to a buddy cord with a pilot that knows what he's doing.

I have seen time and time again many newbies that show up at the field that say they've been on the simulator, and they can't fly for a hill of beans. I've never used a sim and I'm glad I didn't spend $250 on one. Learn the old fashioned way. DO IT YOURSELF. That simulator is never going to teach you how to land, I guarantee it!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:47 AM
joemang
My Feedback: (3)

I have been flying for about 6 months now and have had a sim for 5 months. My opinion is that it is a great supplement to the art of r/c flying, but nothing really comes close to smelling that exhaust, taxiing out, and getting her up in the air for real. My one piece of advice (I can't stress this enough) is if you are using a sim (I have G2) experiment with the wind settings and practice taking off in a crosswind, flying in gusts, etc. I find that this is one area that the sims seem to really stray from reality. With no wind setting, you can feel like a pro on a sim, but I was quickly aware of crosswinds and such at the field that the sim's default settings did not prepare me for. Whenever I am between flights at the field now, I'll just watch the wind socks, and see what they do to those who are in the air. The veterans at my field could tell you where the wind is coming from and how fast, just by the time of day(they don't even have to be at the field!) One area that the sim really outshines reality.....hitting the space bar is easier than playing pick-up sticks after a crash.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Alliot

Noir! a flight simulator is like an expensive video game for kids. I learned to fly without a simulator and an instructor. I have flown both glow and electric planes for five years and I didn't crash any of my planes yet. My three year-old Falcon Cessna Ready is still in one piece. If you are a beginner to R/C model flight, the first thing you should do is to learn the basic aerodynamic. Know the basics of turning and landing an aircraft by reading some physic books instead of playing a video game. A radio control airplane flies much like an actual aircraft. Learning to fly will be much more easier and enjoyable if you obey the law of physics. As for me, the only advantage of a flight simulator is that it helps you to be familiar with the control reversal. But it doesn't teach you the real physics of flight, such as stall speed, level off from a climb or descent...etc. Finally, once you are well acquainted with ground lessons, you should find an instructor. A flight simulator may be optional.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.