Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie question about Radio..

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie question about Radio..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 PM
SpykeYs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question about Radio..

Hello all,

I am new to the world of RC Plane. I bought a VMar discovery trainer few months ago. I also bought a Futabo Radio with 4 servos. Also, I received another Futabo Radio as a gift for a new plane.

My question is. If I have 10 plane. Do I need to buy 10 radios ? Or I can share them by changing the Mhz or what so ever ?

Thanks alot for the help.

Peter
Old 02-09-2004, 12:08 AM
AcousticTX

Default RE: Newbie question about Radio..

My question is. If I have 10 plane. Do I need to buy 10 radios ? Or I can share them by changing the Mhz or what so ever ?
You can use one radio for several planes assuming the receiver crystals are all the same channel, however, if you have a non-computer radio you will have to re-trim the planes every time you fly and be careful that all of the servos are moving in the correct directions. But yes, if all of your receivers are the same frequency as the radio, you can just have 1 transmitter for several planes.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:24 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

First off is Futabo some sort of cheap nock-offJ/K
What model futaba radios do you have? it would help to know this info. couple of ways you can go about flying more than one plane on one TX....and no you don't need 10 radios for 10 planes. If you have a computer type radio it will have model memory, with this you can fly several planes each having it's own profile stored in the radio. when you fly plane X and want to switch to plane Y you load the profile for plane Y. servo position,trims, mixes and a range of other features/function will be stored for that plane in the profile, once loaded it will fly exactly the way you set it up to begin with. the number of planes is limited to model memory within the radio unless it uses some sort of external memory chip, most radios will hold around 6 profiles. along with model memory you would need a flight pack in every plane or move one flight pack from one plane to another. I have a futaba 9C flying 8 planes and a prism 7x flying 3 planes, each plane has it's own flight pack because I'm lazy If you can't put a complete flight pack in every plane at least try and have servos in every plane. If you do not have computer radio all is not lost... it just much easier to make a mistake. you set up and fly plane X,once you have it flying the way you want write down every detail about how that plane is set up. now set up plane Y and write down every detail about it, when you switch you look at your notes and set the radio up exactly the way you had it before. BTW I do not recommend using this old school pen and paper method...sooner or later murphy will get ya

John
Old 02-09-2004, 03:58 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I like to have one TX for each model I take to the field. Then I can switch off as to which model I'm flying without having to worry if I changed the TX to the correct model.

I saw a VERY experienced RC pilot (who has a Futaba sponsorship... ) accidentally take a plane off with his computer radio set to the wrong model. Fortunately, this guy was good enough to take the model high, reverse the controls and reprogram the radio as the plane remained in the air. (for most peope it would have been time to get a garbage bag)

By taking models on different frequencies... If somone is flying on my primary plane's frequency, chances are no one's flying on my secondary
Old 02-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

I believe it is against FAA rules to change the crystal in the TX or transmitter.But you can change the RX or receiver.If you get syntisized moduals and receivers,You'll never have to worry about it
Old 02-09-2004, 10:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think everyone is missing the point of Spykey's question:

You only need 1 radio. You can remove it from one plane and put it into another. However, if you want to fly more than one plane on any given day, you won't have time to do all of the servo swapping. generally, I like to keep the servos and switches in every plane, and I have 3 radios (Tx, Rx, and batteries) that I will swap around.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 PM
wings

Some people have more money the sense as the old saying goes.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:50 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Scott Claboe

I believe it is against FAA rules to change the crystal in the TX or transmitter.But you can change the RX or receiver.If you get syntisized moduals and receivers,You'll never have to worry about it

The FAA (Federal Avaiation Admnistration) doesn't care what you do to the transmitter. (they would most likely advise you not to if you called them and asked them about it though...)

The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) has the rule that says its illegal to swap transmitter crystals if you are not properly trained and licenced.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 PM
wings

Now, that changes the situation totally.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:51 PM
eclecticant
My Feedback: (10)

I JUSTBAUGHT A FUTABO 9 CAFPCM AIR IS THIS TO MUCH RAIO TO START HAVE THREE PLANES CAN I INSTAL EACH? WHAT DOSE THE PCM STAND FOR VS. FM
Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Crashem

You did notice that the original post was from Canada FCC isn't a factor

As far as using a non-computer radio in multiple planes the answer is yes been doing that since before computer radios became so cheap

I also do what Minnflyer suggests. The trick to it is to; One set up your models so that none of the servos require reversing from model to model and Two set up all your planes so that they are trimed with the trim levels in the center

If you do that using most non computer radios only becomes a drawback if you need mixes or expo!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 10:55 AM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: eclecticant

I JUSTBAUGHT A FUTABO 9 CAFPCM AIR IS THIS TO MUCH RAIO TO START HAVE THREE PLANES CAN I INSTAL EACH? WHAT DOSE THE PCM STAND FOR VS. FM
The 9C is enough radio to have you get lost in its capabilities and settings rather than just learning to fly. Avoid "playing with" the radio and only use the servo reverse function and it will be OK though. You'll like having the features later when they do come in useful without crating confusion.

There's no problem with going ahead and getting a flight pack (servos, RX, switch and battery) for each airplane and having them all ready to fly at once. I have a lesser (much older) computer radio and I take anywhere from 1 to 4 planes to the field at a time with just one transmitter. You might note when shopping for the flight packs that a low end 4 channel system costs about the same as a flight pack... add the correct buddy cord and you would then have your own trainer box which could be left trimmed for your plane. (rather than using the club's or instructor's cord+box and having to retrim and check control directions each time. (and you won't have to wait in line for the club's only compatible buddy cord IF they have one that fits the 9C... Futaba just changed cord styles.)

PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation. The radio signal is still FM. The radio signal contains a computer code of 1's and 0's (High and low values). "Standard FM" uses PPM encoding (pulse? proportional modulation ... I'm not sure what the first P means...) The frequency shift timing is proportional to the stick positions. (you can look on the correct type oscilliscope and WATCH the signal wave-shifts and SEE the stick positions graphicly.)
Old 04-27-2004, 06:32 PM
wings

Whats the point of having trims if you dont use them? Almost like using binoculars without focus.