Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Super Sportster

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Super Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:53 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sportster

i was looking on tower for a second plane what do you think about a .40 sized arf super sportster with a super tigre 51 and 6exa radio?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:57 PM
wings

Default RE: Super Sportster

I can't speak for the planes, but I have a 6exa and I have no complaints.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:05 PM
AcousticTX

Likewise, I dont know anything about the plane.. but the engine and radio should do you well. I have had a 6EXA for several months and it has been a great radio.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:16 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 40 size Super Sportster as my second plane and loved it. That was eight years ago and I eventually lost it to over confidence.

I liked it so much that I bought a new one last year and flew it a couple times every week. It's my favorite plane at the moment, and I fly it with a Thunder Tiger 54 four stroke.

I'll warn you that the plane is very fast on an OS 46 FX (another guy at our club has one, and I flew his trim flight for him), so the Super Tiger 51 might be a bit much. Most Super Tiger engines are also quite heavy, so you might want to re-think the engine. (Try a TT 46 PRO, it's less money than an OS 46FX (AX now), or the plane would fly fine on an OS 46 LA. My first Sportster flew well on an OS 40FP.

The Futaba 6EXA is a good radio (I have the 6XAS which has a couple more features). I think you'll like the radio.

One bit of advice. If you fly off a grass runway, do NOT use the wheel pants. I had them on my first Sportster and the pants kicked right up through the wing on a couple of occasions, I took them off.

Good Luck,
Dennis-
Old 02-09-2004, 11:11 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

I love the Super Sportster and it can really move. I have a O.S. 46SF in mine and the landings were a bit hot. I tamed it by going with a shallow pitched prop. Currently running a 11x5 and will try a 12x4 to see how it does. Great vertical and tracks arrow straight. Move the CG back a bit and it will spin nicely. Not a flat spin, but nice and recoverable. You will like it.

Jesse
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34979.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	99347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55480.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	99348  
Old 02-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Kaos Rulz

ICE_MAN,

I have both the SS (kit) and the 6EXA. Great combo! The plane is powered with a ST 45 and is !QUOT!monster fast!QUOT!. It'll land hot, or as docile as you want, provided you start throttling back early. In fairness, I'm swinging a 10x7, so a larger dia prop with less pitch would slower her down quicker, but that would take some of the !QUOT!Monster!QUOT! out of fast.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

The Super Sportser is a great plane with not a bad bone in its' body. If you slow it down, it will just mush until it falls out of the sky.. no snap. Fast is a relative term and I never really placed this plane in the "fast" category. Yep, it will be faster than a trainer... but nothing to keep up w/a a REALLY fast plane. The plane builds easily but requres a bit of sanding skill to make it look like the box. The ARF looks ok.. but who built it? I just prefer to know exactly how the airframe I'm flying was put together. I've seen too many covering schemes that looked good and then find out that the glue joints weren't really doing a lot. Have fun.. nice plane.. simple to set up, and no bad faults. A very good 2nd plane that can either have tricycle or tail dragger set ups.

Deadstik.. [8D]
Old 02-10-2004, 10:13 AM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Super Sportster also with an OS .46 FX. Unlimited vertical. I'm also running an 11x5 prop and it seems to be a good combo....I agree with the Super Tiger being too heavy......I already had to add 1/4 oz. to the tail of mine to balance with the OS.
Once you get very comfortable with the plane, crank up the throws as far as you can....it turns into a REALLY fun plane!

Oh, and like DBCherry said, leave off the wheelpants for grass fields!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Got an MDS .48 on mine and I love it. Great plane for fast passes along the field.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
waagbuck

I love the super sportster. I have had the 40 size kit for about three and a half years now with an os 40 fx. Flies great. Lands very easily, and gets going fast if you want it to -- rough guess about 75 mph based on prop pitch and rpms. Mine does not fly inverted very well, but I haven't tried to figure out why that is, and I just deal with it.

I crashed mine earlier this year following some radio interference. I nosed straight while on final approach. The balsa nose section was damaged, but nothing else was. So I cut off the balsa nose and now the plane looks like a cross between a sportster and an ultra stick with the engine hanging out there in the breeze. It's ugly, but it still flies great.

I almost went for the 60 size this winter, but I decided to go with the 60 size gp extra 300 this year.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:54 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

I was considering this plane for breaking in my Jett 50. What kind of airfoil does this have? Does it handle speed ok? Is this a pattern plane?

Thanks,

Gary
Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 PM
glowplug

Gary,
I think it's considered a regular "sport" plane. It has a fully symmetrical airfoil....and from what I can tell with mine, it LOVES speed!
Old 02-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Patrick_William

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

i was looking on tower for a second plane what do you think about a .40 sized arf super sportster with a super tigre 51 and 6exa radio?
I'm far from an expert. In fact, I don't even have a plane yet (it's on order), but I've done a lot of looking around, and I'm going with the JR6102 radio. It's all-new, has a ton of features, is supposed to be incredibly easy to use, and is roughly the same price as the Futaba 6. Why get the last generation radio when you can get the new next-generation now?

Patrick
Old 02-10-2004, 05:34 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glowplug,

Thanks. I bought the plane below for the 50, but I couldn't get it to work due to the shape of the cowl at the bottom. I would of needed an exhaust extension of at least 1", and I didn't want to alter this, as it's new. (ended up using a ST 61, and gave it the maiden last Sunday) It's a Kyosho Sensation. SOOOOOOO, still looking for a plane, and the Sportser looks like a good candidate!

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63010.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	99568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18053.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	99569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36850.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	99570  
Old 02-10-2004, 05:48 PM
ICE_MAN

I will get this one then. first one will no really bad reviews. i already have the radio and engine in my trainer so thats what ill be using. THANKS!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Hintydude

I have the SS with an Irvine 46 MkIII. Its so fast I only use half throttle for most of the time.
I use a 10x7 prop but like the suggestion of an 11x5 or 12 x 4.
I also have the Futaba 6exa it is an excellent tx for the money and I have no problems with it.
I agree that if you are running off grass to leave the spats off. Mine went through the wing on the very first landing.

Personally I didn't like the ca hinges and replaced them with pin type ones. The ailerons had to be replaced by my LHS as they were banana shaped when I unpacked the parts. But it was well worth the trouble and it flies extremely well even at low speeds. I have no trouble with any of the standard aerobatic maneovres and mine flies well inverted.

A recommended plane.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:38 PM
glowplug

Patrick,
Before you go out and buy that JR...you might want to take a look at this.......

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAE9**&P=G

This just might be THE new standard in the $250 price range.......definitely NOT last generation!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:37 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

ICE MAN,

Your super sportster will grow on you. I flew one all year and still enjoy taking it out. I used it as my second plane after steping up from a Kadet LT 40. Everyone says that this plane will land slow, but be careful not to land too slow, or you will stall the plane. Mine broke in half when it stalled landing on a windy day. It was a very easy repair due to the balsa construction of the plane. I fly with an MDS 48 on mine also, and it has plenty of power and vertical. Enjoy.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:40 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Patrick,
Don't know why you'd call the Futaba 6EXA "last generation". The 6 EXA has only been on the market for a few months. As you said, you don't even have a plane yet, so what makes you an expert on radios?

waagbuck,
Definitely something wrong with your Sportster if it doesn't fly well inverted. Mine flys just about as well inverted as upright, just requires a 'little' down to maintain. (I could probably feed in three or four clicks of down trim and fly it inverted.) What seems to be the problem with your's? Needs too much down elevator? Tries to roll out? I'd check the CG.

Hintydude,
I'd suggest a smaller pitch prop. I use a 54 four stroke and a 12 X 5 prop, and I can easily make loops that are 50 or 60 feet in diameter from level flight. You'll have less speed but more vertical with an 11 X 5, but it sounds like you don't use the speed so...
Dennis-
Old 02-11-2004, 10:00 AM
waagbuck

I have never tried to figure out the problem. Basically when I fly inverted I need a whole bunch of down elevator to keep it level. It will do it, just not nearly as easily as some of my other planes. Could this be a CG thing?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Montague

CG would be the first place to look with that kind of issue, assuming the plane flys ok elsewhere. When landing, do you run out of elevator? How does the plane snap and spin?

If it's not CG, then it could be a combination of aileron alignment and elevator trim, but CG is the most likely.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Patrick_William

ORIGINAL: glowplug

Patrick,
Before you go out and buy that JR...you might want to take a look at this.......

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAE9**&P=G

This just might be THE new standard in the $250 price range.......definitely NOT last generation!
Thanks. Actually, I was looking for this radio before and was wondering when it'd be available. I actually might get this one over the JR (once I get a better chance to really learn all about it - it's hard to know exactly what all it offers, since it's so new). I saw it a little while ago and wanted to check it out, but couldn't get much info on it. I'm glad it's coming out now so I can consider buying it before I buy the JR.

To DBCherry, I came right out and said I'm not an expert so that you could take my response with a grain of salt. I wish more people would be so honest as to be able to make a statement and admit that it may not be the ultimate last word instead of spouting off as if they were an expert when they really aren't. Frankly, I have spent some time looking at the Futaba6 and the JR6102 and from my limited knowledge (and words from actual 'experts') the JR looks better. That's all I was trying to say. I was just trying to help out a guy who's in a similar situation as I am (looking at new radios - although it appears now that he already has the 6EXA from his trainer and isn't looking for a new radio, as it first appeared) by sharing what I have found out so far, but also letting him know that I'm not an expert - just trying to make sure he knew what else was out there. It appears now that the 6EXA actually is the 'last' generation, as the new 7CAF is now coming out. Maybe 'last generation' was a bit too strong, but you'll have to forgive me for not being able to think of a better way to phrase it at the moment. I'm not trying to say it's not a good radio, just that there are newer radios out there with more features in the JR6102 and more channels in the F7CAF for the same money (I don't know exactly how the features of the 7CAF stack up to the JR yet).
Old 02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
glowplug

Patrick,
One other thing I've learned about computer radios.....in addition to looking at the features, make sure you ask around about ease of programming from people that have the radios that you're interested in. I've heard that the 7C programs like the 9C that I have, and I can tell you, it's a very easy radio to use. Sometimes features on paper won't help you if it's too difficult to program them correctly. Good luck with your radio shopping!
Old 02-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Mike Ledbetter

The wing has a small amount of dihedral. When it's inverted, it becomes anhedral and is hard to hold steady. Hangs from the prop good though. I already said mine is powered with an MDS .48 and wanted to add that I use 11x5 wooden props.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Patrick_William

ORIGINAL: glowplug

Patrick,
One other thing I've learned about computer radios.....in addition to looking at the features, make sure you ask around about ease of programming from people that have the radios that you're interested in. I've heard that the 7C programs like the 9C that I have, and I can tell you, it's a very easy radio to use. Sometimes features on paper won't help you if it's too difficult to program them correctly. Good luck with your radio shopping!
Thanks for the tip. That's actually what's supposed to be so great about the JR6102. It's supposed to be incredibly easy to program and with a great display that's much improved over earlier radios. I wish more info was available for the 7C - it's not even on futaba's website or in their catalog yet. Maybe my LHS will have one in stock when I go next weekend to buy my engine (and maybe my radio).

That actually brings me to another question I've been meaning to ask. It's a bit off-topic, so maybe I shouldn't thread-jack, but... I guess I'll just say sorry if I do. How long can I hold out before buying my radio/servos? Will it really hold up the putting together of my plane (Avistar ARF), or is it something that's easy to install when the rest of the plane is finished or near finished?

Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.