Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help in choosing a trainer?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help in choosing a trainer?

Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 PM
phantom4099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in choosing a trainer?

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing an airplane (I have an aerobird (and use FMS a lot), so fly would not be totally new to me) in the next few months (hopefully I will have the money by then).

I cannot decide whether I should go with the hangar nine extra easy 2 or the nexstar (cost about the same). My main reason for the Extra Easy2 is the five-channel computer radio since one of my goals in the hobby is aerial photography (I also like the extra channel if I ever want to do a bomb drop, or add something else to another model). My other choice is the nexstar, I like the looks of this airplane better than the extra easy 2 and it seems to be fairly highly recommended; I can buy this from my local airplane club (but I also can get the other one from another town that I visit several times a year).

Will the 5 channel control give me more time before I want an upgrade, or would I be better of getting the nexstar to support the local club, or save money by buying a cheap 4 channel system (alpha/arrow?) and use the extra cash for a better control?

I also asked the local shop owner if he could order me the Extra Easy2, but he said he could not since he would have to sell so much of Horizons stuff a year for him to do that (this is a small town- pop 10,000).

Wyatt W.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:52 PM
kh6oo

Default RE: Help in choosing a trainer?

If the 5 Channel is the only reason you like the Extra Easy2 I would go with the Nexstar. Chances are if you go to a plane that requires more channels it will not go up by one channel. My second plane added flaps and separate both those and other controls jumping it up to 7! Worry about the radio later and go ahead with the nexstar in my opinion. Everyone wins. You get a great trainer for a good price and the club recoups some of its costs. Just turn off the electronic flight correction gizzmo.

Tom
Pearl Harbor, HI
Old 02-11-2004, 02:07 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Wyatt W, The Extra Easy2 is a great plane and comes with a JR 5-channel, but the Nextstar is a great plane also that uses a 4-channel radio. Both come with their pros and cons. The Extra Easy has a 5-channel radio and the Nextstar RTF comes with the realflight simulator. The plane choice is not the major concern here, either plane here would train you. I'm not sure if the extra channel on the JR will make all that much difference honestly while you are learning. Usually, people move on to atleast a 6 channel Radio after using their trainer box. How much of a price difference is there between the two choices? Both are great planes and would do the job equally well. I am leaning toward the Nextstar only because of the simulator that come with it. Being that you are new to Nitro powered model aircraft, this will allow you to practice if the weather isn't cooperating that day and will still allow you to fly and practice regardless of the weather conditions outside. Honestly, unless you plan on never going past a 5 channel radio, then the Extra Easy is the way to go. Getting the radio from the beginning, but this is highly unlikely once you get more involved in the hobby. I now have a Futaba 9C (9-channel Computer Radio) The JR's extra channel is not going to be used while you fly your trainer unless you have individual aileron servos set up, which is really over kill to me while you are learning to fly since you can't utilize the function to it's fullest while learning. Focus more on learning to fly than other things right now is the advice I give to new pilots. This saves money also. The 4-channel Futaba that comes with the Nextstar can be used as buddy box once you get your more advanced computer radio, but then again JR computer radio will allow an easy set up, mixing capabilities, but the use of exponential is worth the extra cost if ther is some. Like I said, both have their pros and cons. If you don't need the Simulator, then the Extra Easy is a good choice because of the Radio that come with it. You'll be happy with either choice.

Hope this has helped some.
DTB
Old 02-11-2004, 02:16 PM
AcousticTX

I would also say the nexstar, that simulator will save you a lot more money than the 5 channel radio in the long run
Old 02-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Woodsy

Well what about ordering on line from horizon or tower, if you dont mind building check out the spad forum here at RCU or have a look at www.spadtothebone.com the other option is to stay electric, the GWS slow stick can be set up with a camera no problems ( i even think theres a "package" that comes with one) and being electric you can still fly it just about anywhere
Old 02-11-2004, 08:32 PM
wrongwaywayne

This sport can be tough on money. I think I spend at least $200 bucks a month. It cost about $800 just to get started in glow. Try and find a good used trainer if you can. Most clubs have a classified of some sort. You can buy a flight sim used here or on ebay. I would highly reccomend one of those (flight sime) - just to get the thumbs working. I bought a used Tiger for my second plane $50 complete. Its still my favorite.

I've built a few planes from kits and they ended up costing more than an ARF. I still like building them from kits best.

The Nextstars look great and it does seem like a good deal, however, it is a first year model and it takes time for all the bugs to get worked out. I think I would try something more tested and true like maybe a Kadet.

Best of luck. You won't regret the switch to glow.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:56 PM
boogerboy
My Feedback: (3)

nexstar is a rip-off! Woodsy do you feel like your talkin' and nobody's listen! I feel like that constantly! boogerboy

www.boogerboyhobbies.com
Old 02-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Woodsy

Whats the saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

then again may be the horse isn't thirsty, or it likes beer!

all you can do is give people advice and options, if they choose to follow some other path that's ultimatly there desicion, as long as there happy with there choices i'm happy.

Even if i am talking to a room full of deaf people one of those deaf people will be able to lip read and that 1 is enough to make it all worth while.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:17 PM
phantom4099

I am starting to think I might be better off getting my self a 6 channel radio (not sure but thinking of the futaba 6xas, or 6exa- I choose futaba since I heard that’s what most people in the club I am joining use). Then purchasing an OS .46FX engine and either building one of the SPAD planes or getting a one of the other trainer the store has (this will depend on which way is cheaper). Of course, most of this depends on what is available at the local shop, or what they can order.

Do you guys think this equipment will allow me to grow and put of purchasing another radio (and maybe engines) for a few years? Or do you have any other recommendations for gear?

Wyatt W.
(How much is normal to spend on this hobby a month? If it is any where near $200 I think I will need to put this off for a few more decades).
Old 02-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Woodsy

Either of those radios is a good choice or the HiTec eclipse 7, the OS46FX engine is one of the best on the market BUT to save a few $$ consider the TT46Pro.

If you dont want to build a SPAD you can buy an ARF one from some one like http://boogerboyhobbies.com/
Old 12-31-2004, 02:02 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Phantom4099 -

It is kind of difficult making soooo many decisions when first getting in to the hobby isn't it? And sometimes it gets down right frustrating too. There has been some good advice here so far however I will add my 2 cents worth.

Ask this question to yourself before you purchase anything - >>>is this something I'll be able to use later?<<<. If you do this you will save yourself a lot of aggrevation (and $$$) later - when the time comes.

I would suggest that you concentrate on learning to fly properly and safely first more so than which transmitter, how many channels. etc. You will not be dealing with anything beyond what a standard 4 channel radio provides for a while anyways.....probably not until your second or third plane depending on the style of flying you prefer and how well you're flying at that point.

With that said - get the trainer that will give you the best advantage possible to sucessfully learn to fly wet powered aircraft. I personally learned on a Hobbico Avistar 40 which is a nice trainer but not the best in my opinion. I have also flown many other trainers such as - SPADS, Superstar's, LT-40's and the Nexstar. Of all of these different trainers I would say the least desirable to learn on is the SPADS - they just don't compare to a balsa built up plane as far as stability, ease of handling and general flight characteristics. The one that I prefer out of these is Hobbico's Nexstar - and I will explain why.

It comes with everything right out of the box with minimal assembly and nothing else to buy except for the usual field gear. The OS .46Axi is an outstanding engine and can be used on future 40 size planes as well as all of the electrical gear that is included. It is the perfect size for a trainer and is built of quality wood, etc. The flight assist that comes with the plane is a very good tool for someone new to flying although I have found that it isn't really necessary in training new students because the plane is very docile and has great stability without it. The transmitter is perfect for the plane and can be used later with the second and even the third plane. To sum this up - I find that for the student and the flight instructor - you will not find a better trainer or bargain - anywhere!

After you learn to fly on your own and have gotten past your second plane - then you will probably want to invest in a programmable transmitter. Especially if you want to fly more advanced maneuvers or aircraft. One thing to keep in mind about purchasing a transmitter is the availability of gear (servos, receivers, etc.) that your LHS supplies or can order. In other words, don't buy a Futaba radio if your LHS owner can only get JR servos, etc. and vice-versa. This will cause you a lot of grief when it comes time to replace a set of gears or the servo itself when you're in a hurry to get back in to the air. If you get one of the more advanced synthesized radios this may not be an issue as these can be set to either positive or negative shift. Chances are that you will not need anything beyound a basic, inexpensive 6 channel progammable radio unless you get in to flying larger scaled planes. For everyday sport, fun-fly and 3D flying the 6 channel is more than adequate and will serve you for years. I know many pilots that have invested in the really expensive radios and not use any more of the functions than what is on my T6XAs. This to me is a waste of money that could have been spent in other areas.......like more planes!!!!

It all gets down to what YOU prefer and what your budget is. Do what you think is best -after all - you are the one that will be flying the darn thing. If it make you happy - that's all that matters.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:49 PM
freebird1

well stated push rodz

I also like the Nextstar, and Thunder Tiger trainers, but have you flown the Nitro Capital Flyer from mega tec. It has a wing that can be set with Dih. or with out. Grows as you do. I really loved mine till I tried to haul a cup of beans at a fun fly. It landed in top of some trees(Heavy would not turn). I got the police Helicopter to blow it out. The futaba 6XEA is my pick over the radios you stated. I have both, but the 6XEA is simple and easy to use with 6 modals. I have a 9CAP even. To many buttons and switches. The simpler the better in my book.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

I own 2 Hangar 9 Alpha 60 trainers. They are excellent and the package comes with everything including a JR Quattro 4 ch radio, servos, etc.

Assy, gas, charge and fly. $379. They are tough, can take the wind, land easily, are suprisingly agile for a trainer.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

freebird1 -
I haven't had the opportunity to try the Mega Tec plane that you're talking about however, the versatility of having dihedral as well as a straight wing on the same plane is enticing - you have your trainer and second plane all in one! That is something worth checking in to for sure.

Phantom4099 -
One other tid bit of advice that is worth mentioning to anyone new to RC airplanes is that learning to fly is probably easier these days than it has ever been in the past. And the best way to begin is to seek out assistance from an experienced pilot. There are many folks out there that will be glad to help you get started on the right foot and are willing to pass on some valuable knowledge. Contact your local AMA flying club and get involved. This is the way that most of us got started and is one of the most rewarding aspects of the hobby.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:21 PM
ICE_MAN

Why not go with an ARF?

This Way you can get the Plane AND radio you like.. Plus an engine of your choice..
I really like the Hobbiso SuperStar Trainers.. Very Stable and CAN be Agile!

I would choose a 6-channel Comp. radio for the reasons stated in your first post.. I Like the Futaba 6EXA as its easy to program yet still a comp. radio.. Plus its CHEAP! $140ish forit, a reciever, 4 S3004 servo's, and Tx/Rx batteries.

For the engine I recoend the Super Tigre 45 or the Super Tigre 51.. These will give you plenty of power to haul you out of trouble or pull around your camera,bomb drop, ect..
Old 01-03-2005, 01:03 PM
dan42

I built a SPAD for my first trainer and love it. It flies just fine and is extremely durable. Last saturday I nosed it right into the ground(apparently I needed more altitude before doing the loop) I pulled the engine out of the ground cleaned it out real good and was flying again in 1/2 an hour. There are other people learning at my field with balsa planes that have not soloed yet due to the fact that if they screw up like I did they would not have a plane to fly any longer. I learned faster than they have due to the fact that I am not so concerned about destroying my plane because it is stronger and cheaper than a balsa. The trainer I built is called the BUHOR and the plans are at www.spadtothebone.com .
Old 01-03-2005, 07:16 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Phantom,
I would suggest looking at getting a good radio to start with instead of purchasing a 4 or 5 channel now and then upgrading to a different radio later.
As far as the engine I would go with the TT pro46 instead of the OS just for price alone. Both engines are really good but for the price it is hard to beat
the TT engine.
There is a trainer from world models called the Mach I that is really easy to build (ARF).
The quality is top notch and I think is one of the better choices for a trainer.
My extra easy2 was retired after I was getting ready to set it up for my kids and found to many problems that I did not want to mess with.
So I purchased the World Models Mach I for 70-79 dollars. The wing screws on the fuselage with two metal screws that could be changed our
for nylon if you were afriad of a crash and the wing breaking off.
If you are looking at doing video you might also look at a sixty size trainer which would allow you to move into photography as there are a few
old 60 size trainers used for this. The size of the airplane allows for this to be done easy and it would give you a good platform to start with too.
John
Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 PM
freebird1

dan42, are you sure you have learned to fly. Crashing is not the goal, but to fly. listen, watch, learn.If your buddies have a good trainer on buddie cords, their solo in coming soon. If you are planing to fly PVC pipe all the time, Great, but if you are planing to fly other planes. I would advise a balsa trainer.

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2005, 02:05 AM
phantom4099

Well I finally managed to get myself a plane.

I bought a used plane and equipment from the son (that my dad works with) of a man that pasted away

I think I got a good deal for $450:

I got a Hobbico Superstar (like new condition)
the Futuba 4ch radio
Futuba 7cap and a trainer cord for the radios
electric starter
glow igniter
voltmeter
Hobbico quick field charger
O.S. 46 la
field battery
electric fuel pump
several tools and parts
metal case for the transmitters, and metal case to carry tools, chargers, and loose parts

There is also suppose to be another O.S. 40 engine and maybe another set of servos, but they have not been found yet. Even without that, I still think it is a pretty good deal, I just wish I did not acquire it in the way I did...

I have had it since the end of September, but have not flown it yet since no one is giving instructions till spring; so it's been a lesson in patients so far.

Wyatt W.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:56 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great! Sad true about the way you got the deal, but it was a fair deal. Just go out now and find a simulator to practice with, and practice, practice, practice. You will be ready to solo in no time come spring. Don't let anyone try to get you to ditch the trainer for at least a full year, you will use it a lot.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:01 PM
dolsen

Tower 40 Trainer.............$69.00
Thunder Tiger .45 $69.00
Futaba 6exa Computer Radio $179.99 ( Bonus $25.00 off purchase over $150.00)
Total $292.99

Don't let anyone talk you into paying $400.00 For a trainer with a 4 channel radio your just throwing away your money. I would not get the nexstar because it just don't take the beating like the box styled trainers. You will want a new sport plane in short time and will also want computer radio so you can fly your new plane and you old trainer with the same transmiter and not have to mess with the trims. I started with the nextstar and ripped the landing gear off in the first 12 flights. I still have my Tower 40 and it has had some really hard landings.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 PM
phantom4099

Well 15 months after posting the first message I finnaly got to fly a gas airplane I own. I have been flying electric for about 16 months, and flew a buddies gas plane a couple of times on a buddy box.

My first (and so far only flight since the wind was picking up) flight went really well, I did most of the flying excpet take off since I wanted my instuctor to do that.

after flying the plane I spent about 45 min just practing taxing the aircraft up and down the field, it was a little tempting not to take off...but I am not stupid

I can't wait to fly it again.

Thanks to all of those who helped me out,
Wyatt W.

edit: I see in my first post that I said one of my goals is aerial photography. In March I purchased a slow stick to take aerial photos, so I have been doing that too