Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

MIX Rudder and Aileron

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

MIX Rudder and Aileron

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 03:10 PM
hgiles
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIX Rudder and Aileron

I was advised to mix some rudder in with my ailerons. Although I understand the concept, I have no idea how to implement this. Moreover, with all the talk of OPPOSITE RUDDER and ADVERSE YAW, I am not sure which rudder (opposite?) to mix in with Aileron or how much. Incidentally I am building an H9 J3 Cub (80") with a Saito 56. I have a Futaba 9CHP transmitter. Any set up advice is much appreciated. Yeah, I am a beginner and this is my first setup, but I have AFP on the computer to help me iron it all out and of course, I have the knowledge and experience of all you guys!!!

Thanks in Advance!
Old 02-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Crashem

Default RE: MIX Rudder and Aileron

Incidentally I am building an H9 J3 Cub (80" with a Saito 56)
I have the same plane with a OS .91 surpass in it.

The turns look better with the rudder mixed in.

I have used between a 15% and 20% rudder mix I think currently the mix is set a 18%

I didn't mix opposite rudder. remember you can turn the mix on and off in flight I would setup the mix climb to a safe height and try it out keep making adjustments untill you get a turn that looks good.

I also mixed 5%-10% down elevator in at full throtle to keep it from climbing. Have nothing but good things to say about that Cub only tricky part making it land just wants to fly and fly
Old 02-13-2004, 03:22 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to set up the mix on your transmitter. This is probably a standard setting (not requiring a programmed mix). If you decide that you do need this (it is not essential) then Aileron is set as the primary channel and rudder as the slave.

You need to set the mix so that left aileron will give an automatic left rudder input. How much is just trial and error. Just use a small amount to start and increase it if you think you need it.

A lot of people will suggest that you don't use this. I will let you make your own mind up. The Cub does like its rudder and I have found that whilst flying them I use more rudder than aileron. You can fly most cubs without hardly touching the aileron at all!
Old 02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
AcousticTX

I would personally fly the model some and see what you think about its basic aileron turns before you go mixing anything in. I have never mixed rudder in on my models, but I know people that have. I think it is more of a personal preference thing than a needed mix. Just my $.02

Good luck
Old 02-13-2004, 03:26 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The normal way to mix rudder and aileron is to choose a custom mix, input the aileron channel as the "master" and the rudder as the "slave" The effect percentage is then chosen. (some radios will let you describe a sort of curve by specifying different ratios at different % deflections)

for an average sport model a small percentage mix is used... something on the order of 5% to 10% rudder in the same direction as aileron. (if the aileron is deflected 50% of its range... the rudder automaticly goes to 2.5% of its range if you selected the 5%) Most models don't need a lot of rudder to coordinate a turn... and that is why RC pilots tend to be lazy about using the rudder.

This triplane is an extreme case... I have 30% rudder mixed, and 50% less downward deflection range vs upward on te ailerons... and I still have to manually use rudder to counter adverse-yaw in a normal cruising speed turn.

Trainers are the other extreme... the majority of trainer designs need practically no rudder for a coordinated turn ("breathe" on the stick... thats enough.)

Mixing in the rudder for autocordination will enhance your laziness about use of the rudder. It helps you reinforce bad habits. Use mixes to crrect problems in an aircraft's flight characteristics, not to correct for bad flying habits.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:08 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cubs fly well mixed, but mixing it on the radio doesn't help your skills any. Fly the plane. There isn't a mixer in a real one. You will be a lot better pilot if you learn to fly it with rudder witout the mixer. I use the rudder on every plane I fly, and no mixer. You can use them, but you will never have the absolute correct amount dialed in, and if you get used to flying with both sticks, the plane will be so much smoother in the long run and you will be a lot better pilot for it. You can do it either way though. Probably more people do it with the mixer than not.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Stick Jammer

I totally agree with FLYBOY. Sure, you can set up an aileron to rudder mix with a computer radio but you will undoubtedly become a much better pilot by simply flying the airplane. Using the left stick for more than just throttle is a skill that you will need as you progress to higher levels of aircraft and maneuvers. Having an aileron to rudder mix on your radio will also require that you turn it on or off depending on what maneuver you are about to attempt which can actually make things more confusing. Getting used to using the left stick for rudder input is a good habit to get into as early in the learning process as possible.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:18 PM
FHHuber
Banned

You want to REALLY improve your rudder skills... build a 3 channel plane (rudder-elevator-throttl) and put the rudder on the left, FORCING yourself to use it.

Or... take off normally... trim for level.. and then flip a dual rate switch to set ailerons to no throw. (just program it in while its on the ground... not hard at all.) You can switch em back on if you REALLY need them... [>:]but that's cheeting.[>:]

If you have to use rudder... you will learn how to use it. Then... if the ailerons fail on your 4-ch airplane... you will have a decent chance of saving it.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:13 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with FlyBoy and others, learn to fly using your left thumb on the rudder stick. Coupling in rudder to ailerons will work some of the time, but if you plan on doing it, fly the plane first. My Cub usually requires that I add in a bit of opposite AILRERON in most turns, if your's happens to be the same way what will that do to your mixing?

I think turning the mix on and off for crosswind landings and a number of manuevers would be more trouble than it's worth.
Dennis-
Old 02-14-2004, 08:20 AM
FHHuber
Banned

oops... misread something....[&:]
Old 02-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you want to make a mix, then enable it and set it to 1% then fly. Keep adding mix one at a time until you get the mix you want.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:15 AM
SENZA

OOPS
Old 02-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Oops what???

ORIGINAL: SENZA