Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:38 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

Oh so untrue. Unlike their counterparts, we have many many people constantly helping people from all over the world with the building of virtually any SPAD
You took that quote out of context. My point was that a newbie starting out will have an increased chance of success by oing with a traditional ARF or RTF (or even a traditional kit).

While your club may have a number of people who are familiar with SPADs and can help the new guy, your club is the exception, not the rule. I have never even seen a SPAD in person, in spite of the fact that I attend RC functions and fly at a number of fields every year.

Eventually SPADs may become well known enough that this will change, but they are not normally an easier solution for the new guys.
Dennis-
Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Finn

Have a sister like that. Functional but UGLY!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Shame on you for talking about your sister like that. I hope she kicks your *****. Anyway, I don't sleep with my planes.

If you buying a trainer for looks than all I can say is your attracted to ugly. The purpose of a trainer is to learn to fly. And, I assure you that a coro built plane can handle a lot more abuse. So make sure your test it with 2 people who can't fly and then see who wins after 3 weeks.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:52 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: ChrisSpad

i got a couple of good challenges.

1. The kick contest: set both airplanes on the pits. Each person gets to take 3 steps back and give the other's plane a good solid kick.

2. Stand Contest: take the wing off the fuses, lay them on the ground. Now, very gently (or not so gently) step on one end of the wing.

The winner is the one who can go fly their plane afterwards.
lol.
Chris I got one more test for you.

The off the top of the SUV test. Each plane is placed on top of an SUV without the Propeller and pushed off. Once on the ground, the propeller is put on the plane. The fastest plane up, around and lands wins.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Oodles

When you are talking about an Avistar vs. Spad trainer keep both planes on the same page--The Avistar I have with a 46 FX is a very fast plane--With the other engine it is a screamer--How many newbies fly like that--Most learners start slow and work their way up in speed--Don't know many learners that can fly at 100 mph+--if you want to pylon race your Avistar give Boogerboy a chance and let him have a diffrent plane--DPS-Sickle--DDust etc
Old 02-16-2004, 09:23 AM
DBCherry

Shame on you for talking about your sister like that. I hope she kicks your *****. Anyway, I don't sleep with my planes.
Why are SPAD guys always so defensive? The majority of people here are acknowledging that SPADs have their place in RC, and probably make decent trainers, yet you guys start making personal assualts on them anyway, and it's like that in pretty much every thread involving SPADs I've ever read. Jeez.
Dennis-
Old 02-16-2004, 09:41 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

Why are SPAD guys always so defensive? The majority of people here are acknowledging that SPADs have their place in RC, and probably make decent trainers, yet you guys start making personal assualts on them anyway, and it's like that in pretty much every thread involving SPADs I've ever read. Jeez.
Dennis-
I'm not a SPAD guy so I don't know, and the only personal attack was Jim Finn against his own sister---I have a sister and I think that was really low. What is a spad guy anyway? I'm just an R/C'er. I bet 90% of the guys who own a spad have one or many balsa models...in the other 10% of cases, its their first plane.

I think what you sense as defensiveness is really the knowledge and experience of flying both and listening to people who criticize who really lack any real knowledge and experience of flying a spad. Less experienced balsa-only flyers who are really speaking from speculation and personal bias. Personal bias contaminates this hobby. Prejudice is a human condition that typically makes other people seem inflamed in overcoming beliefs that have no real foundation in truth. I assure that a plane made of different material will fly as good if not better than one made of different material. Thankgoodness the defense industry has not adopted a prejudice on Jet building materials or the stealth jets of our era would not even exist. Have you have taken a look at the latest Stealth jets....aren't they ugly?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:10 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a counter challange:

Make a Spad that looks like this:

You SPAD guys tend to forget that not everyone is alike. Your first car CAN have a wire coat hangar for a radio antenna, and an up-side-down pail as a seat, but MOST people have more style than that.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with SPADs, I have flown them, and I sometimes recommend them, but don't be going around telling people that they are just as good as balsa, and that we are crazy for going through all that work.

Next time it gets cold, don't waste your money buying a coat, just wrap yourself in newspaper and duct tape. It works just as good, and it a lot cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19488.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	101609  
Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: RE: SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

hello all,
ok heres my thoughts on this subject, when i was learning to fly i am glad i had a balsa trainer for 1 main reason, i KNEW if i didnt learn the correct way to control this plane that YES it would and could be wrecked so i took the extra time to make sure i had the knowledge the instructor and everything needed to learn GOOD flying habits so i wouldnt lose my plane.

now what i can see with a SPAD is, ahhhhh heck its almost indestructible i will take some chances and see what happens its indestructable right ? and this leads to bad habits because you are not worried about losing your plane. try things before your ready and so on.

so in the long run i say get a balsa plane and learn to fly it like you COULD lose it if you dont learn to fly right the first time.

well my lost .02 worth again.

bassman
Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with SPADs, I have flown them, and I sometimes recommend them, but don't be going around telling people that they are just as good as balsa, and that we are crazy for going through all that work.
They fly just as good. Spending a lot of time making a SPAD look pretty doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Flying a spad is about not worrying about crashing...and forgeting about all the little hoopla involved with making instruments for little miny men that don't actually exist you know...?

Spads have their place...and their most significant contribution is in the area of training....like BoogerBoys trainer there.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
3d-aholic

Default RE: RE: SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

ORIGINAL: bassmanh
now what i can see with a SPAD is, ahhhhh heck its almost indestructible i will take some chances and see what happens its indestructable right ? and this leads to bad habits because you are not worried about losing your plane. try things before your ready and so on.
bassman
Its not indestructible...
I'm sure you learned bad habits with your balsa.

The only difference really, is that you would have been flying in about 1/4 the time it took you to learn to fly with the balsa plane for about half the cost.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:33 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: 2MuchThrow

Spending a lot of time making a SPAD look pretty doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I'll betcha anything this guy has a wire coat hangar on his car.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:45 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

2muchthro,

i doubt it would have made the learning curve any faster. i soloed fairly quickly with my balsa plane and yes im sure i do have a bad habit or 2 but nothing like i would have if i had an almost indestructable plane that if i goofed OH WELL i didnt learn it right the first time i try again.

not like with my balsa plane where if i goofed and did it wrong the first time i had no more plane, so it was actually faster with my balsa plane because i LEARNED HOW TO DO RIGHT THE FIRST TIME this is just MHO for what its worth.

bassman
Old 02-16-2004, 10:52 AM
3d-aholic

I'll betcha anything this guy has a wire coat hangar on his car.
I'll betcha anything you are wrong frequently. I have 3 cars but I typically drive my BMW. But, I choose the vehicle I need for the task. So, when going up to Lake Tahoe, I don't drive the BMW, I drive the SUV.

Life is comprised of making the right choices...and not thinking a single choice fits all circumstances....keeping an "open" mind about things and not becoming rigid. Try it...you'll be surprised.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:07 AM
siclick33

I can't really believe this thread. It is quite impressive how an discussion/argument can appear when most people here agree with each other.

There are different opinions (and there always is). Has anybody really said that Spads are rubbish? Has anybody said balsa planes are rubbish?

I don't think so.

The majority of modellors agree that variety is the interesting part of this hobby. I get the same when I take my heli out. I get all the usual 'egg whisk' jokes but it's amazing how many people go and inspect it while I'm fuelling up my planes.

For the few that take a dislike to your model. Who cares? If you like it and are happy then that is all that matters.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:15 AM
TexasOutlaw

This is the kind of thread that makes new people uncomfortable with r/c.

Some new guy is gonna read this trash and be confused with all the nonsence.

Fly what you want and get over it. Boogerboy if you want to sell something just come out and say it.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:18 AM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: siclick33

The majority of modellors agree that variety is the interesting part of this hobby.
No...that is the crux of the hidden discussion. That is why there is a disagreeement, Most R/C modelers DO NOT believe that at all! They believe in "Myway or the Hiway".

Like, the best glow plug is an OS and all others are junk. If you fly with anything but an APC prop, your an idiot. Or, my engine is the only one that works, all other engines are inferior. Or, anything but a balsa plane is junk

If you don't believe that this thread is just one more example....just go pick a few other threads on this discussion board about Thunder Tiger -vs- OS or Futuba -vs- Hitec...or whatever you want. Let me know if you need links.

This SPAD discussion is the same way. And, the really interesting thing is that most R/C'ers have formed their opinion strictly by listening to others they think know more then them without any personal experience at all... And most of the people spouting opinions....don't have a clue.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
siclick33

Forget the other threads for a minute. I am interested in what comments have made you think what you do.

I have had a look through the thread. People have expressed their opinions and experiences. I can't find anyone who says that one way or the other is no good.

If you can find one I will step out of the arena!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:42 AM
MinnFlyer

I'll betcha anything you are wrong frequently.
No, I'm not.

I have 3 cars but I typically drive my BMW.
What??? You drive a Beemer??? Are you crazy??? You should drive a 1964 Dodge Dart! They're much cheaper and darn near indestructible.

And with all the money you save, you can afford to but real airplanes.

Are you beginning to see my point?

Different strokes, ya know?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:50 AM
3d-aholic

Are you beginning to see my point?

Different strokes, ya know?
___
You see my point. Your so busy stereotyping and then you ended up wrong!

You have no idea what I fly so you have no idea if it qualifies for your stereotyped prejudged opinion about what is a "real" plane. Of its "ugly". Or, if its "heavy". Or, if its "cheap". Or, if its "more aerodynamic". Or, whatever, you have already figured out apriori.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:51 AM
boogerboy
My Feedback: (3)

tEXASoUTLAW I didn't start this thread to try to sell something. I'm stacked with orders rightnow and have no hope of catching up since we're trying to get ready for Perry GA. Not in one of my posts did I say the SPAD trainer is better than A balsa one. I'm saying they are just as good in flight and I'm willing to travel to prove it. Boogerboy
Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
siclick33

Minnflyer

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with SPADs, I have flown them, and I sometimes recommend them
2Much Throw

I'm not a SPAD guy so I don't know
Who appears the most open minded?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:26 PM
MinnFlyer

Thank you siclick.

I am just saying that While SPADs are a good alternative to balsa planes, (I built one for my son to learn on) they (like a '64 Dodge Dart) are not for everyone.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:54 PM
3d-aholic

Thank you siclick.

I am just saying that While SPADs are a good alternative to balsa planes, (I built one for my son to learn on) they (like a '64 Dodge Dart) are not for everyone.
The fact that you built one for your son....kinda speaks for itself...in my opinion. Your telling us its not for everyone but then for someone close to you, you built him a SPAD.

Anyway, when I learned, there were no ARFS, there were no simulators, there were no SPADS, and there were no Buddy boxes....

And learning to fly was hard, and we should not be discouraging people from using every tool that they have at their disposal to learn to fly. Thats my point and I made it.

Beginners don't let the "Dodge Dart" prejudice, "ugly" prejudice, "to cheap" prejudice, "not aerodynamic" prejudice from using all of these tools and when the "know it alls" come up to you and tell you that what you have is garbage and your not going to be happy with it, "Nod your head and go fly your spad or whatever else you got knowing most of these people are full of it."
Old 02-16-2004, 01:06 PM
siclick33

What is wrong with a dodge dart?

Is that not a bit hypocrytical?

Is that not the point we have been trying to make all along?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:16 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: siclick33

What is wrong with a dodge dart?

Is that not a bit hypocrytical?

Is that not the point we have been trying to make all along?
Its a jab.... Its a demeaning comment... Its what people who supposedly "know it all" do all the time... Its a negative comment... Its a cut.

Its not hypocritical at all for me to cry foul. A newbie will take this negative comment on the face value and it probably will prevent him from trying it. But, I have flown enough and tried enough stuff including SPADS to call a spade a spade. I think the better comparision is to say a trainer is a Cessna and a Spad is a A10 warthog. Or maybe, a ARF trainer is a YUGO and a spad is a Chevy truck. Do my comparisions now help you with your comprehension?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.