Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:20 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

Why are SPAD guys always so defensive? The majority of people here are acknowledging that SPADs have their place in RC, and probably make decent trainers, yet you guys start making personal assualts on them anyway, and it's like that in pretty much every thread involving SPADs I've ever read. Jeez.
Dennis-

I think it is partly due to the fact that they are the types that think "SPAD is a philosophy" rather that being the types that simply build airplanes out of different materials.

Coroplast is just another material like fiberglass, carbon fiber and balsa.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: RE: SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

My son was eight years old at the time.

We didn't have a buddy box.

He was having difficulty learning how to land.

He only spent two months with me during flying season.

A Durable plane was a necessity.

He flew it for 2 weeks, then went back to his Eagle.

I will REPEAT for those who's prejudice toward my posts, thinks that I am hypocritical:

SPADS are a viable alternative to a balsa trainer. In many cases, they make good sense. I would not, and do not discourage beginners from using what could very well be a very good learning tool.

I just try to discourage people from getting carried away with them.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:39 PM
CafeenMan

What's the controversy? I don't like SPAD's because they're plastic and they're ugly. I like to build. I'm sure that they fly fine.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:14 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: RE: SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!

I responded early on to the original post in this thread basically to question why this argument is even being made since most R/C flyers don't really care what other people fly IMO. It amazes me how far this thread has gone to continue a meaningless argument which doesn't add a darn thing to our sport.

In all this discussion have you noticed only coro and balsa have been mentioned. I can't say as I have ever seen a thread touting styrofoam as a superior building material... Oh no [:@]... what did I start now... Styrofoam is sometimes used in both SPADS and balsa planes!!!

So in all this discussion we have basically pointed out that both building techniques have their place and it is basically up to the owner/builder as to which one to use based on the needs/wants at the given time.

I still think the original post could have been worded better to make the post sound more like an offer and less than an argument. When you start a new post and the topic is "SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!" how can you expect but for some people to feel defensive. Not to mention this is a beginners forum so posting here makes it look like you are trying to sway beginners to join your camp and join you in your opinion.

There is nothing wrong with sharing your opinion. Its when it is expressed in a way that discounts someone else's that the discussion turns into an argument.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:26 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be my last post on this subject because I don't see this going anywhere.

I am not having a go at anyone I just want to try and get across that the forums can be difficult to judge someones true thoughts. I still think that everyone is in agreement here.

My last post about the Dodge Dart was trying to get across the point that some things are taken far too seriously and illustrate points (overexaggerated).

By taking offence to the comparison between a Dodge Dart and a Spad you are assuming that the vehicle is rubbish. I am sure that there are people that have this vehicle that love it, and it is everything they will ever need. You are therefore hypocritical in that it is OK for you to say someone elses car is rubbish, but if anyone says that a Spad is rubbish then they are narrow minded because they don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong 2MuchThrow, I am not having a go at you. The comment obviously was made to stir things up. The comparisons that you suggest may be better alternatives but the original comment, I am guessing, was tongue in cheek. These comments are often made in the forums and are now way meant to offend. The comparison was trying to suggest that everything has its place. Whether that place is in your home (or garage) is irrelevant.

I will leave it at that as, if we are not careful, someone will get angry/upset and for what? Because someone suggested we take two different types of model and have a bit of fun together. After all it is supposed to be fun!
Old 02-16-2004, 02:45 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: siclick33
Dodge Dart ..... I am sure that there are people that have this vehicle that love it, and it is everything they will ever need.
Thats about the only reply that dignifies that statement.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:11 PM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: FlyerBry

When you start a new post and the topic is "SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!" how can you expect but for some people to feel defensive.
Exactly. My gripe is not with SPADs, but with the general attitude of "mine's better than yours". And when I offer a counter point, I am accused of being a Know-it-all.

My reference to the Dart is simple: According to "SPAD Logic", it makes WAY more sense to learn to drive with car that can take a few Fender-Benders.

What would you say if your teenager came home with an old beater and said, "Don't worry dad, if I hit something, the car will be ok!"

Would you say "Whatever works for you, honey!"?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: FlyerBry

When you start a new post and the topic is "SPAD v BALSA don't believe the hype Newbies! I challenge anyBODY!" how can you expect but for some people to feel defensive.
Exactly. My gripe is not with SPADs, but with the general attitude of "mine's better than yours". And when I offer a counter point, I am accused of being a Know-it-all.

My reference to the Dart is simple: According to "SPAD Logic", it makes WAY more sense to learn to drive with car that can take a few Fender-Benders.

What would you say if your teenager came home with an old beater and said, "Don't worry dad, if I hit something, the car will be ok!"

Would you say "Whatever works for you, honey!"?
That comes back to what's better? A plane that flies better or a plane that survives crashes? It's well established that better flying planes have fewer crashes - even for beginners.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:46 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

That comes back to what's better? A plane that flies better or a plane that survives crashes? It's well established that better flying planes have fewer crashes - even for beginners.
It comes down to whats better?
whats ugly?

In my opinion, for instance, a cub is the uglyiest plane ever made....and it flies about as well as it looks. And up close, a full scale cub is uglyier than one far away.... And besides being boring, I've never need anyone fly a cub worth a darn.

So to me a cub is NOT better and it is in fact ugly....and I only say that to make the point. Thats what happens in this hobby...people let their prejudice cloud their objectivity. I assure you that I can fly virtually any plane -- balsa or spad for that matter around and around the cub as it meanders from one end to the other. Does that mean I attack people with Cubs...NO! Do I make a sweeping judgement that Cubs are ugly and don't fly worth a darn and publicize this like its going to change peoples mind about buying or building Cubs...NO! Why, because its my opinion only.

The fact that a SPAD will give you more confidence, fly just as well as balsa and allow you to learn faster is just a plain old FACT.... It is not an opinion and it is easily demonstrated as BoogerBoy challenged.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:56 PM
CafeenMan

You seem exceptionally sensitive and hostile. Did you have a bad dream where you were surrounded by people with balsa planes all pointing at your SPAD and laughing or something?

Why are you quoting me and talking about cubs? I never said anything about cubs. I said better flying planes crash less - which is a fact. I didn't say anything one way or the other about balsa vs. plastic.

ORIGINAL: 2MuchThrow
Do I make a sweeping judgement that Cubs are ugly and don't fly worth a darn and publicize this like its going to change peoples mind about buying or building Cubs...NO! Why, because its my opinion only.
No, you make a sweeping judgement about SPADs vs. Balsa. Why? because it is your opinion only.

If you don't inflict your opinion on others, then what is your first post about?

BTW - SPADS are ugly. "That's just a plain fact." I can't recall the last time I saw a SPAD win best of show or even place in any beauty contests unless you count SPAD-only shows.

Personally, I think you're trolling for the exact responses you're getting.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:09 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Most NOOBS getting into RC will not and dont want to spend alot $$$ SPADS provide several ways to ease into the hobby.I have been flying on and off since 91 I was flying the Kombat 40.
This was the first I think the first of its kind (SPAD).I modified this plane hundreds of ways till tuesday.If I had to buy balsa every time I donked it I would be BROKE.It made me very inventive with material and I was able to explore different variations.I have seen more people get discouraged and leave the hobby due to money spent and planes destroyed totally, first time out.Plus I like to fly more than build.It is much more heart breaking to SMASH balsa.
Just seems like Spadders dont get the respect at the field,I think because of the lack of sweat equity.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:15 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: SeacretsOceanCity

Just seems like Spadders dont get the respect at the field,I think because of the lack of sweat equity.
Spadders don't get respect because those of us who spent years getting the skills to build nice wood airplanes are snobby elitists who are better than you are.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:32 PM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

People don't just fall into the balsa or spad category exclusively do they? A couple guys at my club fly both. One has a big 30% edge that does things that is mind boggling (my mind anyway). Another guy has a 40% sukhoi that's equally impressive to watch. That guy flies a little spad also. I know for a fact that these guys get plenty of respect.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: zetor

People don't just fall into the balsa or spad category exclusively do they?
It's an angel/devil thing.

I CAST THEE OUT, EVIL SPAD!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:55 PM
3d-aholic

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan
I said better flying planes crash less - which is a fact. I didn't say anything one way or the other about balsa vs. plastic.

Thats ridiculous. People crash planes......the type of plane has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, statistically, trainers crash the most. Is that because they don't fly well? On the contrary, their flying characteristics are defined as "Stable" and good flying/stalling characteristics. The planes that crash more or with the people who don't know how to fly them flying them. If you get someone good on the sticks, they can fly anything....

I'm not sensitive about this...I could careless about your opinion because it is obvious without ANY real experience.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:07 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: 2MuchThrow
Thats ridiculous. People crash planes......the type of plane has absolutely nothing to do with it. In fact, statistically, trainers crash the most.
Anybody can make up statistics. You obviously read a post, decide what it says and respond to whatever your pre-conceived ideas are regardless of what the post actually says. I never said planes don't crash.

In fact, there is a plane that I designed (in my great lack of experience) that has had many hard impacts with the ground including blowing off a table, landing upside down, bouncing back into the air and the only damage was a cracked leading edge. Why? Because it's designed right and is extremely light. Hence, very little mass.

I'm not sensitive about this...
LOL... that's funny. Read your posts again as if they were written by someone else.

I could careless about your opinion because it is obvious without ANY real experience.
...said the guy who assembles plastic airplanes.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Kenny R

I built a senior telemaster for my first airplane (Balsa stick construction took me 3 months), it lasted a half a flight. Then i built a spad. After numerous crashes and repairs and one complete rebuild i learned to fly on this thing, it was tuff.

I built another senior telemaster, and after the first 30 seconds in the air i realized this plane flew 100times better than my latest spad. The difference was amazing.

Spads are tougher...FACT
Spads are easier to repair...FACT
Spads are cheaper...not if you scratch build with balsa

Balsa planes fly better...dont beleive me? Build one with balsa exactly like your spad and you will see...its called wing loading
Balsa planes dont warp sitting on the flight line...sit your spad in the shade for a few minutes before you fly it, trim it in flight.
Land and sit it in the sun for a while and fly again and tell me something hasnt warped.

I still have a spad trainer, took it out not long ago so a friend of mine could fly (who has never flown). The spad does have its place (didnt want my friend crashing up my nice balsa models). It really does fly like a led sled compared to other balsa trainers i have flown.

I have been fortunate in getting to fly many different airplanes. We have a few guys at our field who fly various spad designs and i've flown most of them. I have also flown many different balsa planes including about every kind of trainer there is. I am one of the people who helps the new guys at my field.

This is the main point of my ramblings on.....Balsa planes fly better...dont beleive me? Build one with balsa exactly like your spad and you will see...its called wing loading

I have even flown a couple different sized cubs...
Old 02-16-2004, 05:22 PM
CafeenMan

I built my first trainer - a Falcon 56. Soloed on it after 2 or 3 weeks and then flew it the whole summer. Not everyone bashes up their trainer.

Kenny - Were you flying on your own or did you have an instructor?
Old 02-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Kenny R

I was flying on my own when i dumb thumbed my Telemaster. If i had gotten wise and got an instructor I think it would have been alot easier to learn on the telemaster, it will just fly and float so much slower, gives the learner more time to "think" I did get an instructor to help me learn on the spad.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:36 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe anyone reading this would actually think a SPAD version of
any airplane would fly better or even as good as a balsa version.
Can't happen.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:52 PM
MinnFlyer

Here we go again

All right, Everyone listen up.

This is getting way off track. I'll leave it alone as long as it stays sensible, but if it gets too far out of hand, I'll shut it down.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:58 PM
wings

I have 3 cars but I typically drive my BMW. But, I choose the vehicle I need for the task. So, when going up to Lake Tahoe, I don't drive the BMW, I drive the SUV.
Rich people get very agitated when everyone doesn't kiss their *****. Thats why he's mad.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:19 PM
bhole74

Let's face it guys, there are different planes for different people for different purposes. It's all flying, let's enjoy it, not argue about it. I have both balsa and SPADs and enjoy them all, but that's just me. I JUST WANT TO FLY!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:47 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Spadders don't get respect because those of us who spent years getting the skills to build nice wood airplanes are snobby elitists who are better than you are.

CafeenMan

If you read the SPAD forum you'll see that many balsa vets are lost when trying to build spad
Funny how the respect doesnt work both ways.MAN what an arrogant bunch we have here.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: SeacretsOceanCity

CafeenMan

If you read the SPAD forum you'll see that many balsa vets are lost when trying to build spad
Funny how the respect doesnt work both ways.MAN what an arrogant bunch we have here.
lol... man, I was kidding. Lighten up. Geez you guys are sensitive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.