Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need Help Fiberglassing Over Foam - First Time

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need Help Fiberglassing Over Foam - First Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:23 PM
akalita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Fiberglassing Over Foam - First Time

I really like my Kavan Partenavia twin electric and would like to fiberglass it for strength, looks, and preservation. It's all foam, with control surfaces hinged by decal material. So I'll need another method for hingeing the control surfaces too.

Can someone suggest a good link that walks you through the process, and materials needed? Something with pictures too if possible?

Some things I'm concerned about are correcting deformaties after completion (bumps, ridges etc), glassing around edges such as leading edge and wing ends, how to glass around movable parts such as pushrods so that there isn't future cracking or delamination, and how to finish it so that when painted is glossy.

Thank you

Adam
Old 06-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Juice-Dog

Adam,

Keep in mind that glass and resin are going to add weight to the plane. Depending an the technique this could be alot. When we fiberglass foam wings for our planes we use a vacumm bag to pull the flass to the foam and excreate the excess resin from the glass. I am not sure if there is a link that will give a step-by-step method, but you may be adding more weight then the plane was designed to fly with. Do a search in the building section and see if you get any hits.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:17 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

The Partenavis is a very nice aircraft. That being said just remember that is a foam electric aircraft and is probably pretty much at its weight limit for fun flying. Juicedog has given you pretty much what you need to know about applying the glass. I don't think there is a glass and epoxy combination that will be light enough to apply to your airplane without ruining its flight characteristics. Enjoy what you have.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:20 PM
hayman

Check out;

http://www.paonline.com/hayman/video.htm

http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=237&id=4169