Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner needs confirmation (JR XP 6102)

Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner needs confirmation (JR XP 6102)

Old 03-14-2004, 09:13 PM
--={Luft}=--

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Beginner needs confirmation (JR XP 6102)

Hallo,

I have researched all the parts I think I will need for my first flight. I have few questions, my first one is, on the www.horizonhobby.com page they don’t mention anywhere that the JR XP 6102 comes with the servos, reciver etc. So i wanted to ask anybody who has bought this TX there if they sell the TX only or does it come with servos, charger, reciver and all the other parts? When I read the review here on RCU, the guys said that the TX comes with all the things I mention but on the website they don’t seem mention that?

Here are what I have come up with based on your recommendation etc.

Airplane: Slow Stick
TX: JR XP 6102
Charger: Hitec CG 340
Battery: Open to your suggestions??

Will the above be enough for me to get me in the air, I sure hope so, cause I have already cross the 300 $$ mark? 

BTW. I am living in Skokie Illinois, does anybody live near me, it would be nice if we could get together and fly in a park here?

Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated
Old 03-14-2004, 09:28 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Beginner needs confirmation (JR XP 6102)

Are you sure a small electric is the way you want to go? You'll end up spending about 2/3rds of what it would cost to get into a 40 size glow trainer with all the related equipment.

The AMA website has a "club locater" page. You should see if there are any clubs in your area and check them out on a nice Sunday afternoon before you go too far.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...677786D06500E8

Okay, your questions. Buying a radio package usually means you'll get the receiver and servos, switch harness, battery packs and wall charger too.

I'm not sure what motor comes with the Slow Stick, but would assume that something like an 8 cell, 600AE NiCD pack would be decent, or a good NiMH pack might be better. Something in the 1200 mAH range.

You haven't mentioned the speed control. Did you forget that? You'd probably need something in the 20 Amp range which should be available for about $25.

Good luck whatever you decide, and most of all, have fun!
Dennis-
Old 03-14-2004, 10:07 PM
--={Luft}=--

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok I did check the website I found couple of clubs that are not to far from me, I will try to contact them and see if they are still open.

Ok I have forgotten about the ESC, I will lock in to it now thanks for reminding me.

The slow stick comes with I think the 300 motor. The reason I decided to go with the slow stick is because I heard that it’s a good airplane to start with if you are a beginner, and I prefer electric motor over the gas since its quiter so when I got to the park and want to fly I don’t want the neighbors to complain on me.

But I am just starting out, what do I know, I may change my mind down the road but I wont to start out with the electric airplane.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:18 PM
davidinmi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You will want small lightweight servos for that plane. Make sure you don't order a radio with standard sized servos. I had a lot of fun with a Slo Stik. I found that it flies much nicer with a 8.4 volt battery (7 cell) than it does with the 7.2 volt (6 cell) pack. I was flying this weekend with a guy who was running a 9.6 volt (8 cell) battery pack on a GWS motor. He did have a spare motor and gearbox in his flight box however, in case he burned up a motor. He let me fly his 12-14 oz plane and I was trying to hover with it.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:39 PM
--={Luft}=--

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: davidinmi

You will want small lightweight servos for that plane. Make sure you don't order a radio with standard sized servos. I had a lot of fun with a Slo Stik. I found that it flies much nicer with a 8.4 volt battery (7 cell) than it does with the 7.2 volt (6 cell) pack. I was flying this weekend with a guy who was running a 9.6 volt (8 cell) battery pack on a GWS motor. He did have a spare motor and gearbox in his flight box however, in case he burned up a motor. He let me fly his 12-14 oz plane and I was trying to hover with it.

If I go with the JR XP 6102, I don’t think I will have a choice in choosing what servos to get, I think the only choice I have as far as the servos goes is to choose between the digital and the normal servos, but I think they all are the standard size. I read somewhere that the slow stick will be able to fly with the standard servos, and should not have any problems.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 AM
davidinmi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would be my bet that if you talk with the folks at Horizon they would put you together a package with micro or sub-micro servos and a 610M micro receiver. This would shave about three ounces off your plane and make it that much more flyable.

If Horizon won't do it for you try ChiefAircraft www.chiefaircraft.com I have some friends who have been very pleased with their support.

From what I can see, going from four standard servos to two micro servos could even save you a few bucks.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:43 PM
--={Luft}=--

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would be my bet that if you talk with the folks at Horizon they would put you together a package with micro or sub-micro servos and a 610M micro receiver. This would shave about three ounces off your plane and make it that much more flyable.

If Horizon won't do it for you try ChiefAircraft www.chiefaircraft.com I have some friends who have been very pleased with their support.

From what I can see, going from four standard servos to two micro servos could even save you a few bucks.

Ohh man this more harder then i thought, ok dividinmi, based on your suggestion instead of going through all he hassle, i am now thinking of doing it like this. Buy the Futaba 7CA radio (without servos, just the radio) which comes out to be 150 on www.servocity.com then buy the slow stick flight pack which is 72.99 on www.horizonhobby.com and the slow stick which is 35$,buy the same charger from www.towerhobbies.com which is 40. So here it is the new plan.

Radio: Futaba 7CA 149.99$
Airplane: Slow Stick 35$
Flight Pack: Futaba slow stick flight pack 72.99$
Charger: Hitec CG 340 39.99$

Total = 297.99$

This way i save few bucks, get the micro servos, which will make the slow stick lighter and hopefully flight better. What do you guys think of the new plan, will this be enough to get me in the air????
Old 03-15-2004, 03:19 PM
davidinmi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That should get you started nicely, but...

I personally like the Hitech 555 receiver. It has a range of one mile and is suitable for any plane you may want to move on to.

I quickly decided I wanted more power and more flight time and moved to a 7 cell battery.

I'm using an Electrifly Peak 400 charger which is also available from Tower and will save you $10

I highly recommend finding a flying club so you can learn to fly on a buddy box. I recommend you find a local club and get a radio that you can buddy box on with your local fliers. Usually a Futaba is a safe bet (Tower is compatable).

Don't forget spare props and wheels.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM
--={Luft}=--

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That should get you started nicely, but...

I personally like the Hitech 555 receiver. It has a range of one mile and is suitable for any plane you may want to move on to.

I quickly decided I wanted more power and more flight time and moved to a 7 cell battery.

I'm using an Electrifly Peak 400 charger which is also available from Tower and will save you $10

I highly recommend finding a flying club so you can learn to fly on a buddy box. I recommend you find a local club and get a radio that you can buddy box on with your local fliers. Usually a Futaba is a safe bet (Tower is compatable).

Don't forget spare props and wheels.
Yeah i am locking for RC clubs in my area, there are few around here but they are a bit far, so ill see how it goes, idealy i would like to join a club, but if its to far i can allways go to a park that 5 min from me and fly there.

I will lock in to that charger you mentioned above, would you recommend the Electrifly Peak 400 charger over the Hitec CG 340? What are your charching times?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:37 PM
davidinmi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To the best of my understanding the 400 mAH NiCd battery that you are looking at should be charged at 3C which is three times the rating. The Electrifly charger has a 1.2 A setting which means it should fully charge in 20 minutes or less. NiMH batteries should not be charged at more than 2C which gives them a half hour charge time. I usually stick my batteries on the charger the night before and don't pay too much attention to the time. I'm expecting parts for my new electric any day now. Brushless motor, new ESC, Lithium Polymer battery, and a new charger to charge the LiPo's. This package is going in a GWS Formosa.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:12 AM
--={Luft}=--

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anybody knows when there will be a review of the Futaba 7CA, I would like to see what the pros think before I buy it????